I've seen this somewhere before...

Ricky_231

I sure had some fun with my former speed brakes!! :lol:

Sometimes, with no other traffic in the area, it was fun to come ripping into the pattern, chop the power, throw out the brakes and drop the gear almost simultaneously...... super fun it was. :D

And John King hasn’t aged a bit :P

• Like 3

My plane has them, but it wasn't something I was shopping for and, if you took them away, I wouldn't really miss them.  But, when SoCal keeps me at 5,000 AGL until 5 miles from the airport they sure are kinda nice:D

• Like 1

Mmh ... I thought the primary purpose is to destroy airflow ...

Yeah I had that same reaction. Somebody on MS posted a video of speedbrakes being deployed in the rain and you can clearly see the effect on flow over the wing.

Interesting that on the King course, when they talk about spoilers he says they’re for reducing lift and increasing drag, but then when he introduces speedbrakes he specifically says they only increase drag.

I guess that you could say that it increases drag relative to lift as you reduce lift...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Mr. King is right. A spoiler increases drag by a combination of profile drag and killing lift on a portion of the wingspan which must be compensated for by increasing lift on the rest of the wing (unless you want to descend) by increasing AOA and thus increasing induced drag. Technically our Mooney “speedbrakes” are closer to spoilers than speedbrakes, however the small span means they have only limited effect on lift.

A true speed brake creates only profile drag. A little less efficient but has the advantage of not killing lift when you don’t want it to.

C5A73D94-5D77-46E3-9222-3DB2F763D596.jpeg

• Like 1

The T-39 had a very effective air brake that doubled as egress protection.   There's an escape hatch in the floor that you can get out if the air brake is open.  I always wondered whether anybody actually ever bailed out of one those, but I'm guessing there may have been a number of special deliveries made that way.

File:US Navy 020509-N-0000N-001 T-39 Sabreliner.jpg

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

The T-39 had a very effective air brake that doubled as egress protection.   There's an escape hatch in the floor that you can get out if the air brake is open.  I always wondered whether anybody actually ever bailed out of one those, but I'm guessing there may have been a number of special deliveries made that way.

File:US Navy 020509-N-0000N-001 T-39 Sabreliner.jpg

Ah ha!  Al Mooney’s Jetstar :)

• Like 1