New Mooney owner of ‘65 20C

Finally finished purchase and flight home from Las Cruces NM to Southern Oregon of my 1965 M20C. Had a great time flying it home and learning all about retractables and CS props. Definitely have some projects to get going already with it, but that’s what’s exciting is going through and understanding everything about this plane and it’s past and future. 

122DF5E0-2472-4EB4-A48F-B3E2BD745DE5.jpeg

BDE2EC01-356C-4CE4-BC54-D1FEFAC207BC.jpeg

2143AB52-B0CC-420E-8EDA-3F1B66CB8594.jpeg

13A5BF29-255E-491C-9E94-98C82E2AD97C.jpeg

D40D675E-AD62-41BA-8C5D-AB3FDF97302E.jpeg

• Like 10

That Mooney glider ad on Flightaware is priceless! 

Later I went back to add the link but could not find the photo.  It was a Mooney advertisement with this airplane, prop stopped near a glider, extolling the virtues of the very efficient Mooney wing.

12 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

That Mooney glider ad on Flightaware is priceless! 

Later I went back to add the link but could not find the photo.  It was a Mooney advertisement with this airplane, prop stopped near a glider, extolling the virtues of the very efficient Mooney wing.

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/116336-dd08561ae6aeb54d0a77a9f7d972eff814909676

• Like 2

Nice!!!   Amazing pristine original paint job.  I wish you many enjoyable hours of safe flying.

My '65 M20C is only 35 serial numbers away from yours.  Here's what it looked like in 1986 when I bought it -- little did I imagine that I would own it for the next 34 years and counting! -- and what it looks like now.  Take care of it and it will last forever.

If you ever want to discuss the little quirks and preventive maintanance things to pay attention to, just give me a call.  614- (I spread the numbers out to prevent the spammer bots from picking it up) 446-  (cell number)  2422.

-Bob Ellis

1986 - Mooney when I first bought it.jpg

Flying over central Ohio.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob E said:

Oh, just realized I calculated the serial numbers based on MinneMooney's photo, not yours.  Oh well.  Anyway feel free to get in touch and we can discuss maintenance etc.  :)

Hey Bob, I wondered if you were talking to me.

I will give you a call sometime anyways. I’ve only had mine for a year and have an A&P/IA That lets me do most of the work. 
thanks

4 hours ago, Bob E said:

Nice!!!   Amazing pristine original paint job.  I wish you many enjoyable hours of safe flying.

My '65 M20C is only 35 serial numbers away from yours.  Here's what it looked like in 1986 when I bought it -- little did I imagine that I would own it for the next 34 years and counting! -- and what it looks like now.  Take care of it and it will last forever.

If you ever want to discuss the little quirks and preventive maintanance things to pay attention to, just give me a call.  614- (I spread the numbers out to prevent the spammer bots from picking it up) 446-  (cell number)  2422.

-Bob Ellis

1986 - Mooney when I first bought it.jpg

Flying over central Ohio.jpg

Thanks Bob, I’ll give you a call shortly. Look forward to learning more about my plane and your experience. I hope it will be with me for 34+ years as well. I love telling people at work when they say that’s an old plane, “yeah,  but you know back in 1964 they couldn’t wait for the ‘65 to come out!” 

1 hour ago, Bob E said:

Any time MM

Is that Aluminum Overcast in your photo?

Mooney, kids, B-17.jpg

Yes it is. I’m a member of EAA Chapter 237. Our chapter has gone on lots of work parties to Oshkosh over the past few years primarily to help restore the B25 Berline Express. I’ve been lucky enough to work on/in the B17 and the B25. Last year 3 of us masked off most of the B17 so they could repaint some of the silver on the top of the wings and the nacelles. What a job!

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, Congratulations on your “New to you” baby.  When I saw the beautiful original paint job, it took me back in time.  I purchased my  66C about 8 years ago, and when I purchased it the paint was about 6 years old and looked great. (and still does to this day).  At the time of my purchase I had a title search completed and got all the history of its previous owners.  To my surprise I found that my CFI had owned my airplane for a couple of months back in the 70’s.  I told my CFI (who used to broker aircraft) that he used to own N3487X back in the 70’s.  He hadn’t sold aircraft in decades, but he still had his files in his hangar.  As soon as he got off the phone he went to his old records and found a Polaroid of her in her original colors. (Identical to yours). Hope you enjoy your new bird as much as I have and still do. It’s now time to go flying.

12D174D8-4A54-4B25-A79E-385A86CA0BF7.jpeg

DD7CE9F3-FE1B-40BB-B951-887FAF2ED5BF.jpeg

• Like 1

I am looking for a good C or E model if anyone can point me towards some!  I have looked at several on the major websites but it's hard for me to tell what is good or not honestly.  Any insight or links to good ones is appreciated.  Also hints as to current market pricing on a good C with at least a 430 WAAS GPS.  Congrats to the OP that must be awesome!

4 hours ago, Pilot boy said:

I am looking for a good C or E model if anyone can point me towards some!  I have looked at several on the major websites but it's hard for me to tell what is good or not honestly.  Any insight or links to good ones is appreciated.  Also hints as to current market pricing on a good C with at least a 430 WAAS GPS.  Congrats to the OP that must be awesome!

All American gets pretty good reviews around here.  Here is a link to their inventory:  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?pcid=17527&dlr=1

• Like 1

Pilotboy, I sent you a pm with some ideas. 
1967 427, that is pretty cool looking at that picture and imagining where it’s been. Hoping to get a lot of years out of the plane, a lot of memories and smiles! I’m really  bummed the fly in up at Sunriver was cancelled this year. Would’ve been a great time to see all the same era planes next to each other.

• Like 1