Airplane ownership CV19

bonal

I think one of the biggest problems is a general sense of being hand tied and helpless and after all we are pilots and are accustomed to being able to control the outcome of even the worst situations.  Never in our history have our leaders regardless of their political ideology had more power over the people they are supposed to be working for. I think they have long ago lost site of this and the power they now have over us has really amplified this to a very dangerous level.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Everyone that wants to hunker down due to health concerns should be allowed to do so. Likewise, those that think this is complete display of fascism should be allowed to return to normal life without the added burden of supporting those that want to stay hunkered down.

We are talking about the United States. If people like the way China or other countries are dealing with this, then they should move there instead of trying to change the American culture to reflect other parts of the world.

• Like 6

+1 for getting R<<1...

Gents,

This is a world wide pandemic...

And a worldwide challenge...

The people partaking in the conversation also contain members of other nations...

Please put in the extra effort required to maintain civility...

If you need additional guidance, let me know... 

The usual affect when civility gets lost... the thread gets locked out...

This would be a crummy time to have the thread get locked out...

PP observations only, I have observed other threads locked down...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Here are a few ideas and questions to ponder  (none of which are aimed at any person on MS, they are just random musings).

1. There was a recent study by a MIT researcher and a Federal Reserve researcher that indicated that states that went back to normal activity too soon during the 1918 flu pandemic had poorer long-term economic results than states that kept restrictions longer. I don't know if this applies to the present situation or not, but it is interesting to contemplate.

2. There have been recent polls in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida by Fox News that all showed about the same results: 60+% supported keeping restrictions in place even if it prolonged the economic hardship and only about 25% supported the converse.

3. Even if the federal and state governments remove restrictions, will everyone go back to work? Some meat processing workers for instance are reported to have expressed concerns that conditions are unsafe. Maybe there will be the equivalent of a strike. Who knows?

4. During the "shut down", a lot of people have had to drastically alter their normal activities. Given that about 70% of the US economy depends on consumers buying stuff (a lot of which they may have recently discovered they don't really need) will "opening" result in a boom due to pent up demand, or will consumption be depressed for some time?

5. We have people that have spent their lifetimes becoming knowledgeable in their field. Why, are we so quick to discount them in favor of talk show hosts, Internet influencers and politicians that have no training in the subject at all?

6. Do we read and watch news outlets giving opposing points of view and try to make up our own minds, or do we just watch Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity?

7. Isn't it interesting that the 2002 Nobel Prize for Economics was awarded not to an economist, but to a psychologist for his work showing how biases affect our judgement and decision making under uncertainty? Have we considered our biases lately?

Skip

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, bonal said:

I think one of the biggest problems is a general sense of being hand tied and helpless and after all we are pilots and are accustomed to being able to control the outcome of even the worst situations.  Never in our history have our leaders regardless of their political ideology had more power over the people they are supposed to be working for. I think they have long ago lost site of this and the power they now have over us has really amplified this to a very dangerous level.

Can you back that up? I have a cookbook that my mother used during WWII that had a wartime supplement with various substitutions because food was rationed and not everything was available. During WWII fuel was rationed and I believe you had to have a special pass to travel on the airlines because fuel was scarce and many of the airline's airplanes and pilots had been pressed into service for military transport.

Skip

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, David_H said:

I had to take a few moments to think about this one. Thanks for the conversation and giving me an opportunity to let the topic marinate. You raised some valid points.

Let's say this should be viewed as a war as you propose. By definition, war requires a conflict between two or more entities (states, nations, opposing factions, etc...). That raises the question, who (or what) is the enemy or opposing faction? political bias at the door.

You're right, "war" can only mean armed conflict between military forces somewhere. There has never been anything called a "war on poverty" in this country, or a "war on drugs" . . . .

What we are having right now is a war on infection. Deal with it. Last English dictionary I looked in, every word had more than one meaning shown, some had more than four, and they are not all similar or even aligned.

So yes, again, we are in a war. I hope it does not soon turn into a war on the government for illegally suppressing our rights. Seems Thimeas Jefferson said liberty requires periodic watering with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

On a lighter note, I get my Mooney back Saturday morning! The 2-1/2 year old ignition harness had wear issues, and a new one had to.be made. Turns out it had the same issue straight from the factory, and they had to fix it. That was my April, waiting on a good ignition harness. So I get my real freedom back!! Yaay!!!

• Like 2

See the answer to the question of whether or not one should fly during the time of COVID-19 provided by the pilot of N98131on Tuesday...  

Caution- salty language.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N98131

This pilot gets extra credit for doing this at the edge of the Washington D.C. permanent TFR.

Reckon somebody is going to be called to a meeting with someone from the FAA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like Dean got his ADSB out working properly...

Quite the precise flyer too.

Does he get a discussion with the FAA, or the FCC, or just his mom?

Is this a freedom of speech issue or a freedom of expression?

Might be a form of aviation art?

I know a really good Mooney artist.... that could do something really cool...  See what Bonal is thinking when checks in...

:D

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, DXB said:

I haven't seen this data, but Fauci certainly has the correctly tuned kind of skepticism to look at trial data, as well as restraint in how to message it.  This is a real glimmer of hope in contrast to all the BS ones out there.  I'd be both surprised and very happy to lose my argument with @ilovecornfields on the low likelihood of a clinically useful agent soon.

Then again, I am now a little upset to hear there were factors beyond a cold sober assessment of the Remdesivir trial data may have guided Fauci's disclosure.  That guy knows the pitfalls of looking at this type of data as well as anyone, so I'd expect extreme caution - and his willingness to speak in very positive terms at this point really surprised me in a good way. I thouht the interim analyiss findings must be really amazing.  I'm sure he faces a lot of competing pressures from his current position.  

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-04-30/fauci-says-leak-concerns-fueled-his-white-house-revelation-gilead-drug-results?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=TheWorld&fbclid=IwAR3N3qvC3T1MvuVkWEGQTBLDufoNF2uRMK0i8dM08qPkVLd2R_jky_deLBg

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Looks like Dean got his ADSB out working properly...

Quite the precise flyer too.

Does he get a discussion with the FAA, or the FCC, or just his mom?

Is this a freedom of speech issue or a freedom of expression?

Might be a form of aviation art?

I know a really good Mooney artist.... that could do something really cool...  See what Bonal is thinking when checks in...

:D

Best regards,

-a-

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N98131

Aha!  That's what class "F" airspace looks like! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, DXB said:

Then again, I am now a little upset to hear there were factors beyond a cold sober assessment of the Remdesivir trial data may have guided Fauci's disclosure.  That guy knows the pitfalls of looking at this type of data as well as anyone, so I'd expect extreme caution - and his willingness to speak in very positive terms at this point really surprised me in a good way. I thouht the interim analyiss findings must be really amazing.  I'm sure he faces a lot of competing pressures from his current position.  

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-04-30/fauci-says-leak-concerns-fueled-his-white-house-revelation-gilead-drug-results?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=TheWorld&fbclid=IwAR3N3qvC3T1MvuVkWEGQTBLDufoNF2uRMK0i8dM08qPkVLd2R_jky_deLBg

Dr. Derek Lowe (In The Pipeline blog; he's a drug discovery scientist) has an article talking about Remdesivir at https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/30/about-remdesivir-and-about-game-changers (actually he has several, if you look back through his articles).  Putting it mildly, he's not impressed with the studies.  In effect, we're rushing the process so much we're leaving a lot of holes in the studies, and may find out later the studies aren't actually telling us what we think they are.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PT20J said:

3. Even if the federal and state governments remove restrictions, will everyone go back to work? Some meat processing workers for instance are reported to have expressed concerns that conditions are unsafe. Maybe there will be the equivalent of a strike. Who knows?

I believe that a good portion of these that don't want to go back to work would go back if the Federal Government was not supplementing unemployment insurance. There are people that are making more unemployed than when they were employed. We laid off about 30% of our employees back in March as we saw the writing on the wall. One of the positions at one dealership was the Receptionist position, We decided to let the automated system ("Touch 1 for xxx, touch 2 for xxx, etc) answer and transfer calls. Last week we decided to bring back an employee to fill that position. We have so far talked to three of the people we laid off that would be able to fill that spot, all of them have turned it down even though they are not working anywhere. My opinion is that it is not out of fear of working, the receptionist is behind a Plexiglas shield that we installed at all locations, he/she doesn't have to touch anyone, it is much less contact than if one is going to the grocery store, I think they are just happy with the money they are getting. Once that Federal supplement runs out I think you will see a shift in the number of people that are willing to go back to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, carusoam said:

Gilead’s  Remdesivir (drug product) has been shown in a clinical trial (Announced today) to aid in the recovery from the Covid-19 infection... fewer deaths, shorter duration...   no where near a perfect solution... it was an Existing drug for previous viruses...  mirs/sars...

Interestingly, Remdesivir was developed to target the pathway for RNA replication that the virus uses during the cell hijack.  And for that reason, it "should" be useful against any RNA virus (though reality has a way of being difficult).  It was, however, not developed for mers/sars...  Gilead originally set out to treat Ebola (which is an RNA virus), and while they did secure approvals for production, it didn't actually help that much in practice.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, carusoam said:

the normal time to develop and get into production is in the 1-2 year time frame...

The record is currently held by Ervebo, which is for Ebola.  That was a five year program.  Estimates of 12-18 months to a vaccine are probably wildly optimistic.  Even if they do, it'll be a stop-gap created at breakneck speed and without the normal protections (read: pre-human and dedicated phase 1 safety trials).  Expect limited efficacy and possibly safety issues.

As far as I can tell, our best bet is mono-clonal antibody treatments, of which there are several in development.  We "might" see those in use at-scale by early Q4.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 6:44 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm mad as hell and want to do something drastic, just don't know what that would be. I'm sick and tired of having my rights taken away for nothing. Our Governor is a wuss. He will never get my vote again... EVER! I will actively campaign against him. If I cant defeat him in the primary, I might even vote for a democrat! 

All joking aside, file a complaint with the Justice Department for a violation of your civil rights.   Unless we get a Governor arrested for violating the federal law, we will all loose our rights.   "Emergencies" can't go on forever, and it seems to me they must have some element of immediacy.  For example, in California, part of the emergency is "in a short period of time, COVID-19 has rapidly spread throughout California, necessitating updated and more stringent guidance from federal, state, and local public health officials".  Excuse me, that is not a 2 month emergency.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisk said:

All joking aside, file a complaint with the Justice Department for a violation of your civil rights. 

Unfortunately, all of the DOJ and OJP and USCCR sites seem to limit complaints to issues related to civil rights violations based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.  I don't see an option for all the rest of us... 

8 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Unfortunately, all of the DOJ and OJP and USCCR sites seem to limit complaints to issues related to civil rights violations based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.  I don't see an option for all the rest of us... 

Some states are insisting that churches close, and have broken up services. There's your religion tie in. Go for it!

I’m going to ride my bike down to see the President on Tuesday. I’m going to wave hi to him as he passes.

It was amazingly difficult to find out the details, but he is visiting the old AirResearch plant at the north side of Sky Harbor. The TFR says that he is parking at the guard base (that’s where AF1 always parks) the only route that makes sense is Old Tower Rd. To 24th street to AirLane to Honeywell. The TFR goes from 11 AM to 3:30 so probably showing up about noon.

I have found with a couple of presidential visits that you can go anywhere on a bicycle. 

• Sad 1

Gents,

I just noticed we have lost a Covid thread to a thread lock-down...

Please be cautious going forwards... on this thread...

I have no indications of what caused the lock-out so I have no advice to match...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Gents,

I just noticed we have lost a Covid thread to a thread lock-down...

Please be cautious going forwards... on this thread...

I have no indications of what caused the lock-out so I have no advice to match...

Best regards,

-a-

Respect please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My apologies, Rich...

My words of caution just happen to follow your post...

I posted immediately as I went from one Covid thread to the next...

The caution is only because the Covid topic can generate some emotional responses...

Somebody probably flagged a response and the thread got closed out...

It’s just how the MS system works...

PP thoughts only, not an official MS inhabitant...

Best regards,

-anthony-

• Like 2

We're all tired,  frustrated and sick of how this is playing out and there really isn't any end in site.i doubt we will ever see our country be free from some doctors recommended behavior. So let's try to keep the discussion civil. Just saw on our local news some unknown guy speaking for the governor about the slow re opening and he said if we abuse these privileges they will be removed again.  Privileges are you frickin kidding me. My constitutional rights are considered a privilege. Nothing and I mean nothing gives these people the athority to take away our constitutional rights. I don't care how bad this virus is it doesn't give the governor the legal athority to take away our freedom. As people here in California are running out of patience our government is squeezing its grip even tighter. Trust me they don't want to ever give our rights back. 

Edited by bonal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4