Emergency Power bus?

Joe Larussa

Joe,

Look into a late 90s M20J...

It might be a more modern plane to have that as a standard.

It isn’t in my ‘94 O panel...

A few parts is all it takes to update a panel to separate things into an emergency bus format...

New millennium G1000 planes are probably a good place to look for how their emergency bus is set up...

In your 77J the emergency bus is essentially the vacuum line running from the vac pump... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

As Tom described...

Modern Mooneys have a main bus that comes on with the Master...

They have a second bus that comes on with the avionics switch...

Sounds like you want to connect to anything on the main bus...

What kind of instrument do you want to connect?

There may be additional info we can noodle through...

Many JPI instruments or other engine monitors are on the main, not the avionics... this allows to see engine instruments during the start sequence...

Some instruments are sturdy enough to handle crummy power spikes... some are not.

Best regards,

-a-

Have your mechanic decide which of the other existing CBs of 5A or less is best, or if adding another independent CB connected to the main bus is best for you...

If there is no room on the bus to have it look nice... somewhere else in the panel connected by a wire is OK too...

‘The guy’ probably wasn’t as good  as a good hangar fairy... :)

Want to have some fun?

We can ask our EI guy which of your CBs they would select...  :)

I saw @M20Doc around... we could ask him... (typical existing CB Used on the main bus to add FF gauge to...?)

Best regards,

-a-

14 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Have your mechanic decide which of the other existing CBs of 5A or less is best, or if adding another independent CB connected to the main bus is best for you...

If there is no room on the bus to have it look nice... somewhere else in the panel connected by a wire is OK too...

‘The guy’ probably wasn’t as good  as a good hangar fairy... :)

Want to have some fun?

We can ask our EI guy which of your CBs they would select...  :)

I saw @M20Doc around... we could ask him... (typical existing CB Used on the main bus to add FF gauge to...?)

Best regards,

-a-

I like to have fun! I also have a EI Tach and MF pressure gauge that need to same treatment :)

Just now, Joe Larussa said:

I like to have fun! I also have a EI Tach and MF pressure gauge that need to same treatment :)

Let’s ask the EI guy... @oregon87...

Joe if you have details of your CBs on your existing panel... that would minimize any mistakes...

(Looking to attach EI instruments to a Mooney M20J panel...  which existing CB is recommended, or do I need another added.?..)

• FF
  • MP
  • RPM

best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Joe if you have details of your CBs on your existing panel... that would minimize any mistakes...

(Looking to attach EI instruments to a Mooney M20J panel...  which existing CB is recommended, or do I need another added.?..)

• FF
  • MP
  • RPM

best regards,

-a-

Good Idea! Don't have to many details about the panel I can provide. I added a G5 a while back and they had to

add a 5amp breaker elsewhere on the panel. 

I don’t have an actual map of the circuit breaker panel layout. You’ll have to check your own to see if you have any spares or un-used ones for your new equipment.  

Clarence

54 minutes ago, carusoam said:

As Tom described...

Modern Mooneys have a main bus that comes on with the Master...

They have a second bus that comes on with the avionics switch...

Sounds like you want to connect to anything on the main bus...

What kind of instrument do you want to connect?

There may be additional info we can noodle through...

Many JPI instruments or other engine monitors are on the main, not the avionics... this allows to see engine instruments during the start sequence...

Some instruments are sturdy enough to handle crummy power spikes... some are not.

Best regards,

-a-

Modern huh? My 53 year old F model came that way from the factory. 

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Modern huh? My 53 year old F model came that way from the factory. 

Modern in terms of what MS calls modern Mooneys...  (after M20F)

Joe has a J, so I went with ‘Modern’ in this sense...

The only thing modern about my plane... the name Ovation still gets used as the most modern NA Mooney... :)

When MS got set up... it was done quickly and easy...

It has evolved a bit in strange ways...

Best regards,

-a-

Joe,

you should have a schematic of your bus architecture in your POH.

In my 231 the busses are made up by a simple connection bar connecting the CBs. That is the location of the busses.

Primary engine instruments should be connected to the main and not the avionics bus for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modern in terms of what MS calls modern Mooneys...  (after M20F)
Joe has a J, so I went with ‘Modern’ in this sense...
The only thing modern about my plane... the name Ovation still gets used as the most modern NA Mooney... 
When MS got set up... it was done quickly and easy...
It has evolved a bit in strange ways...
Best regards,
-a-

They’re really not modern anymore, if Mooney ever creates a modern aircraft we’ll need to rename Modern forum to Classic and create a new modern forum.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

• FF
  • MP
  • RPM

best regards,

-a-

As most of our legacy instruments have a power requirement of roughly 1/10 amp, the FP-5(L), M-1 and R-1 can be wired to the master bus via single 1A breaker or fuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1