Interior Plastics replacement

Previous owner of my 64C bought new interior trim from PlanePlastics in 2007. Not sure I'd use them again if buying new myself, though, the stuff is pretty flimsy and has pretty much all started cracking. If they were very competitively priced I probably would.

I've been doing similar research for mine.  What I've found so far is that PlanePlastics (now called Vantage) makes decent plastic parts, but they can be difficult to trim and fit properly (rumor is they made molds from previous parts and thus the new parts they are making are a tad oversized and must be trimmed, use a heat-gun on, etc.).  The other issue that I've run into with PlanePlastics/Vantage is that their website doesn't always align with my airplane.  They show my serial number as the wrong year, side panel pictures that should be one piece, they show as two piece, etc. which is confusing.  Airtex interiors seems to have a good reputation for DIY as well.  Also checkout Jaeger Aviation.  He can send you a kit, do it for you, or a combination thereof.  Seems to have a good reputation.  There are also lots of options for repairing existing plastics using fiberglass repair and other methods.

Good luck, and if you find other sources for these parts and/or services, I'd appreciate a heads up so that I can consider them as well!

30 minutes ago, BrianWilkins said:

I've been doing similar research for mine.  What I've found so far is that PlanePlastics (now called Vantage) makes decent plastic parts, but they can be difficult to trim and fit properly (rumor is they made molds from previous parts and thus the new parts they are making are a tad oversized and must be trimmed, use a heat-gun on, etc.).  The other issue that I've run into with PlanePlastics/Vantage is that their website doesn't always align with my airplane.  They show my serial number as the wrong year, side panel pictures that should be one piece, they show as two piece, etc. which is confusing.  Airtex interiors seems to have a good reputation for DIY as well.  Also checkout Jaeger Aviation.  He can send you a kit, do it for you, or a combination thereof.  Seems to have a good reputation.  There are also lots of options for repairing existing plastics using fiberglass repair and other methods.

Good luck, and if you find other sources for these parts and/or services, I'd appreciate a heads up so that I can consider them as well!

I just emailed Jaeger Aviation and they sent a great email explaining how 50% of the people who purchase successfully install the interiors themselves and 50% have issues , especially on when having to recondition items themselves. HE was very helpful and stated he's always available to help after purchase. As for Airtex they don't seem to have much listed on their website for M20F's and what they do, picture wise doesn't look that great.

Helps to mention what level of perfection you are looking for...

Sometimes our planes are in the CB category...

Other times we are dressing her as if she is a foreverplane....

1) Jaeger and SCS are beautiful FP adornments...

2) PlanePlastics is heavier duty, but less than perfect replacement than the original...

3) Airtex is much better than original 1965M20C.... and priced perfectly for a CB project...  :)

4) Fix and paint the original parts is often an excellent project... making ABS paste, glass cloth, cleaning and painting takes some time and skill...

Best regards,

-a-

I ran into this issue a few days ago. I couldn’t find anything for my E and some people here recommended using fiber glass cloth and black abs cement to repair the cracks. I haven’t gotten around to doing the repairs yet but seems like a good diy way to fix what you can’t replace. Best of luck!

4 hours ago, Htmlkid said:

I have a 1975 Mooney M20F and I'm considering replacing the interior... are there companies out there that sell kits? Also any ideas or recommendations from others that have done it and the estimated cost?

Why do you feel they need “replacing” as opposed to refinishing? Can you post some pictures of what it is that makes you reach this conclusion? By nature of its chemistry ABS can be refinished to be brand new. Literally!

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, ziggy122 said:

@carusoam Noob question--what does CB mean?

As Mooney owners are known to be a frugal bunch, they’ve been dubbed “cheap bastards”  There are many levels of CB to aspire toward, the highest level buys all his own parts, does all his own work and get his annual sign off for less than $500.00.

Clarence

Just now, jetdriven said:

Who does them for 500$?  I had to pay around 800$.  Asking for a friend.  

My least expensive annual was $850. We worked all weekend, 8-ish until 4-ish less lunch that I bought us. Had all inspection panels off when he arrived at my hangar, put them all back on after he left . . . .

On 6/20/2020 at 4:14 AM, jetdriven said:

Who does them for 500$?  I had to pay around 800$.  Asking for a friend.  

What are these $$ you speak of; I thought a real CB paid with just a case of beer:D

There is a Vinyl that can be wrapped which is fire rated. I’m not sure about availability but should be available in raw materials from boat or auto upholsterers. It can cover old plastics with a modern and clean look but may add a little weight. I posted a pic with the info. 

3185AD4F-078B-4AC5-8131-8D2E5B8F15A1.jpeg

Jaeger’s web site has detailed written procedure on how to refurbished the plastic interior. Mine was in poor shape with even chunks missing in places. I removed all the interior plastic and refurbished it completely and made it look like new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, tony said:

So what I'm getting fro this thread is no one has found a good supplier to source Mooney interior parts yet....

If your looking for plastic pieces that do not require trimming, then yes there is no supplier 

3 hours ago, m20j said:

Jaeger offered an owner-assist when I redid mine.

Took a vacation week off and did a father-son build in lovely Wilmar, MN.

Turned out very well, and glad I went that direction.

I talked to Mr Jaeger at one of the Mooney Summits.  While I appreciate his approach to salvaging and restoring the old plastic, if I'm going to invest a significant amount of time; then I only want to do it once and replace what I have with new.  

A concoction of abs pellets to match or not and some MEK makes a slurry (not to soupy)for cracked trim pieces stays malleable for quite a bit. Place on trim allow to dry overnight or so sand down and your good to go. Do it from the back and you can almost make the crack disappear. Very very little on exposed or try to match the texture with a sponge or rag by applying pressure. Next time will take pictures or will take some of finished project when I see the plane we did it on 

5 hours ago, Jeph357 said:

A concoction of abs pellets to match or not and some MEK makes a slurry (not to soupy)for cracked trim pieces stays malleable for quite a bit. Place on trim allow to dry overnight or so sand down and your good to go. Do it from the back and you can almost make the crack disappear. Very very little on exposed or try to match the texture with a sponge or rag by applying pressure. Next time will take pictures or will take some of finished project when I see the plane we did it on 

I made the slurry from cut up scrap ABS, mixed it up in a glass jar with an airtight lid, lasted several weeks while repairing a few pieces of the trim

• 4 months later...