De-Registered Aircraft

Greg_D

I am looking at purchasing a plane that has been de-registered for quite some time. Looking at the FAA registry I get the attached screen that looks like the assigned N number is reserved by a government agency.  My understanding is that that the aircraft won't be registered if the current N number is reserved.  Looking through about a dozen or so similar numbers, I see many have the same reservation hold on them. Is there a way around this that anyone knows of?  I suppose I could apply for a new N number and apply that when I get it painted, but was hoping to hold off on the paint until after I get everything else done. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 12.52.22 AM.png

That address is the FAA office in DC.

I thought when the triennial registration program started, expired N-numbers were supposed to be on administrative hold for a period of time (3 years? 5 years?) before being made available again. A phone call or two is in order, to see what's going on. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

• Like 2

I've dealt with this several times prior.

Generally, an "N" number can be held for 365 days before it is set to be released back into the pool; at which point, you can apply for it and reserve it.  As this is held by the FAA, agree with @Hank that you should call to understand whether this is truly held by them; and if so, for how long, and whether it can be released...and if so, when.  Agree with @ArtVandelay Tom that I wouldn't go spending any money on anything until you have a confirmed registration number that you're happy with.

Steve

Do you need the N number to ferry the plane?  If not then wait until you are almost ready to fly and then apply for a new N number or try and get the original back if available at that time.

Sounds like this is a project that will take a year or more to complete.

Gray tape always works to apply a number temporarily if necessary to ferry it.

When attempting to get some specific N numbers reserved for my Lancair while building, I found there was a 5 year hold on any de-registered N numbers.  The one I ended up with was from a helicopter that was exported to Australia.  I had to wait until the 5 year window was up to get it.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Generally, an "N" number can be held for 365 days before it is set to be released back into the pool; at which point, you can apply for it and reserve it. 

This is the general rule when you want to reserve an unused number. Deregistered numbers are held by the FAA under different rules. See Tom's post above. Eventually lots of previously-issued numbers will be reused.

• Like 1

Well, I just got a somewhat hopeful series of answers from the FAA.  It appears that the SBS office uses de-registered numbers for various projects on a temporary basis.  A regular registration submission will serve as an official request to have the number released for reassignment. It sounded like there are quite a few of these numbers on hold, but not many in actual use, so getting a release shouldn't be too difficult.  We'll see!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

A paint shop can create a vinyl lettering of a new tail number and apply it over whatever number is on the plane. Then you can hold off painting. It takes a minimum of 6 weeks to get a new number these days. Plan accordingly.

You can also just use painters tape to put numbers on. Very common when flying to Mexico with planes that came with the short numbers. 
-Robert 

You can also just use painters tape to put numbers on. Very common when flying to Mexico with planes that came with the short numbers. 
-Robert 

But how long would that last, the OP needs this for possibly years?
I’d imagine you’d have to retape a lot especially if stored outside.