Exhaust leaks on new Powerflow install?

I never had the slightest hint of this issue with my old exhaust, though the flame tube had turned to dust and the tail pipe disintegrated after 22 years in service.

Now 12 hours into service of my new Powerflow exhaust, I see this on #2 and #3. These are exhaust leaks right?!  I wonder if it explains the high CHTs I'm now seeing in cruise on #4 (i.e. gas from #2 blowing onto probe for #4). 

There were multiple other mistakes made in the install of this exhaust, so sloppy work here wouldn't surprise me. 

IMG_1499.thumb.JPG.d693285e3ec93f5e7d2358108efc49dc.JPGIMG_1500.thumb.JPG.3a34551eb4b38ef1c49ccd57b4805251.JPG

Edited by DXB

17 hours ago, cctsurf said:

Can't see your pictures...

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

@DXB Dev,

Your pics or video went AWOL.

Let me know if I can help with that...

Best regards,

-a-

Huh wierd - I could still see them on my view on a PC laptop.

I removed and reuploaded...better?

• Like 2

I would suspect they went with the cheaper gaskets and did not use the correct amount or seat them correctly. Looks like the EGT probes are installed a little high on the pipes, they should be down about 2 inches. if they are up higher they tend to burn up quicker.

Brian

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bunti said:

My Powerflow exhaust was installed directly by the Powerflow company in Daytona Beach. 

never mind I just learned they were up there.....too cool......

Hello from the creek by the way.....

Edited by Jim Peace

23 hours ago, orionflt said:

I would suspect they went with the cheaper gaskets and did not use the correct amount or seat them correctly. Looks like the EGT probes are installed a little high on the pipes, they should be down about 2 inches. if they are up higher they tend to burn up quicker.

Brian

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Dev,

Yes, The pics are back!

And somebody mentioned the red deposits are caused by leaks... I think Chris used a picture from his inventory to show some red cooling fins caused by a leak... (in another thread)

Best regards,

-a-

Well, I social distanced myself all the way down to North Carolina and got Lynn at AGL Aviation to look at it. It's not an exhaust leak, rather just heat induced paint discoloration on the two cylinder heads that were IRAN'd at the same time and have a particular paint on them. The quality of work at my last annual was so awful that I've started jumping to conclusions about every little potential problem I see.  Lynn did find the timing on the new R mag installed at that time was WAY off, thus probably explaining my CHTs. He also fixed some shoddy work securing the cable for my new prop governor installed at that annual.    The EGT probes are indeed mounted on the high end, even after having provided specific printed instructions on how I wanted them placed.  <_<

Hey Brian, when are you going to start doing annuals? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DXB said:

Well, I social distanced myself all the way down to North Carolina and got Lynn at AGL Aviation to look at it. It's not an exhaust leak, rather just heat induced paint discoloration on the two cylinder heads that were IRAN'd at the same time and have a particular paint on them. The quality of work at my last annual was so awful that I've started jumping to conclusions about every little potential problem I see.  Lynn did find the timing on the new R mag installed at that time was WAY off, thus probably explaining my CHTs. He also fixed some shoddy work securing the cable for my new prop governor installed at that annual.    The EGT probes are indeed mounted on the high end, even after having provided specific printed instructions on how I wanted them placed.  <_<

Hey Brian, when are you going to start doing annuals? ;)

there has been plenty of people in the area that have been asking me the same thing, and I have been talking about getting insurance and starting to do annuals for everyone in the area. In fact I was working on having a full time shop up and running by the end of the year. BUT...... NASA offered me a job and I had to take it.

I am not working directly for NASA, but a contractor that maintains and fly the NASA aircraft out of Wallops Island VA. I am working on and flying as an engineer on the P-3 aircraft that NASA owns. they also have a C-130, King air 200 and several other planes. 

I will start a thread later giving a little more detail.

Brian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orionflt said:

there has been plenty of people in the area that have been asking me the same thing, and I have been talking about getting insurance and starting to do annuals for everyone in the area. In fact I was working on having a full time shop up and running by the end of the year. BUT...... NASA offered me a job and I had to take it.

I am not working directly for NASA, but a contractor that maintains and fly the NASA aircraft out of Wallops Island VA. I am working on and flying as an engineer on the P-3 aircraft that NASA owns. they also have a C-130, King air 200 and several other planes. 

I will start a thread later giving a little more detail.

Brian

Wow congrats! You know these planes well, and there is a demand. But your new job sounds like way more fun than doing annuals.