Baby Control Towers?

I found a little section on the town's website regarding the airport which mentions the building was donated by Drake Field at Fayetteville but nothing more.  I guess if it is free it doesn't really matter what it is.  :D

https://huntsvillearkansas.org/airport/

Edited by The Other Red Baron
Probably answered my own question. "Free"

OTOH Leesburg VA (KJYO) has had a remote tower in the spring and summer months.  Because it is so close to KIAD, getting an IFR clearance out of KJYO on a VFR day is a guaranteed wait of 20 minutes while Clearance Delivery assures you they are still waiting for a release from Potomac Approach.

KJYO Tower.tiff

When we flew coast to coast we saw a couple similar to that. One was KPVW, Hale County Airport in Plainview, TX. The other was at KPBF, Grider Field, Pine Bluff, AR. They are a little taller than the on the OP shows, but both were abandoned. We asked the guy at the FBO in Plainview about it and he said that it was an operational tower up until Reagan fired all the controllers that were on strike in 1981, after that it was never operational again. I think there are still a lot of these abandoned towers scattered around the country that suffered a similar fate. I took this picture of the one in Pine Bluff.

20190613_182759.thumb.jpg.62919aa7555e4f19ccdde4fa2a0c8417.jpg

This picture isn't mine but you can see the one in Plainview is similar in size.

DJI_0024s.thumb.jpg.efaf752e0e076b2cfc18dc4dd9122443.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe my first remark above may have been unfounded.  Having rethought it, I realize the situation is much worse than I had initially considered.  Maybe the FAA is not trying to use control towers to control babies.  Baby control towers.

MAYBE they have control towers that have babies working in them. But this seems to be in direct violation of federal guidelines for work responsibilities for youth.  Not to mention, who here feels safe having heavy metal being controlled by under trained, under aged, irresponsible and under developed babies as air traffic controllers.  I for one do not.  I move we form a petition to demand that the FAA re-evaluate its position on using babies in their air traffic controller work force.  This is an obscene misuse of personal and I for one will not stand for it. Please join me in your expression of anger at this new and under reported development.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Maybe my first remark above may have been unfounded.  Having rethought it, I realize the situation is much worse than I had initially considered.  Maybe the FAA is not trying to use control towers to control babies.  Baby control towers.

MAYBE they have control towers that have babies working in them. But this seems to be in direct violation of federal guidelines for work responsibilities for youth.  Not to mention, who here feels safe having heavy metal being controlled by under trained, under aged, irresponsible and under developed babies as air traffic controllers.  I for one do not.  I move we form a petition to demand that the FAA re-evaluate its position on using babies in their air traffic controller work force.  This is an obscene misuse of personal and I for one will not stand for it. Please join me in your expression of anger at this new and under reported development.

Yeah, I’ve got a couple a big babies  at my control tower! :lol:

• Like 1

What is the criteria in determining the height of a control tower? Is there an FAA standard ?  Does the airport environment and surrounding geography play at part in deciding the height?  Is there a standard height? 

Hmmmm, do we get a baby bear tower, a momma bear tower, or a poppa bear size tower?  :huh:

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

What is the criteria in determining the height of a control tower? Is there an FAA standard ?  Does the airport environment and surrounding geography play at part in deciding the height?  Is there a standard height? 

Hmmmm, do we get a baby bear tower, a momma bear tower, or a poppa bear size tower?  :huh:

I bet budget has a lot to do with it.