Hate to be the whiny needy one but...

Went to fly Saturday and found my strobe nonfunctional. Due to my ham-handed wrenching the navigation light quickly joined it, the red glass cover is in pieces. I thought the strobe might come out like a regular bulb, but of course not! So how do you remove a thing like this and where do ai source new ones?

4DE66C97-9BFC-4FA5-960B-444EA6A0030C.jpeg

92F6AB86-6549-42EF-8859-F419E50A33A7.jpeg

I used to think the same thing about timing, some last longer than others. But most only fail when you mess with them. I’d leave the other side alone until it fails. I’ve also learned to put blankets or foam on the floor each time take a wingtip apart. 

Whelen chroma lights are really neat for the Navs. I still find the old strobes distract the mind and eyes differently/better than the new led strobes. A true CB would just put another bulb or tube in and fly. 

Matt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:41 AM, MB65E said:

eBay should have loads of them now with everyone upgrading to LEDs.

-Matt

Looks like I"m joining the crowd.  Getting a pair of LEDs is about the same money as the fool power supply.  Had to pay my mechanic to remove the other power supply, sounds like money will spent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Steingar,

Check with @OSUAV8TER to see if he has anything that matches your need?

OSU has a bunch of Whelen parts at interesting prices....

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the tip, but the deed is done.  I'll post up some photos when I get the ship back, provided I have enough left in my bank account to pay the electric bill.

• Like 1

An Orion 650 is a direct replacement for this legacy unit. You dump this, the old strobe power packs, and keep your existing wiring. Installation time is probably a few hours maximum for a competent mechanic. LEDs are brighter, last longer, weigh less, and look way better! 

Many Mooney 20C aircraft take the OR6501G and the OR6501R. Don't forget the OR5001V for the tail! http://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

Email me with any questions - gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com

Orion650.jpg.a70acd960b0a4bd12b8e16dc4e3860da.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

An Orion 650 is a direct replacement for this legacy unit. You dump this, the old strobe power packs, and keep your existing wiring. Installation time is probably a few hours maximum for a competent mechanic. LEDs are brighter, last longer, weigh less, and look way better! 

Many Mooney 20C aircraft take the OR6501G and the OR6501R. Don't forget the OR5001V for the tail! http://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

Email me with any questions - gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com

Orion650.jpg.a70acd960b0a4bd12b8e16dc4e3860da.jpg

Yup, that's what I got.  Sorry I didn't get it from you, I think my mechanic went to Spruce.  I'll post up pictures if I ever get the airplane back.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Ross Taylor said:

PM me your address and I'll put a red and green globe in the mail to you. 

I should mention that Ross did exactly that, and wouldn't even take something nice in exchange.  That cover got me to my annual, so I am grateful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, steingar said:

Yup, that's what I got.  Sorry I didn't get it from you, I think my mechanic went to Spruce.  I'll post up pictures if I ever get the airplane back.

It's okay, everyone knows Spruce, not many know me and that is something I have to work on.

~ James