Am I Finally a REAL Mooney Pilot?

Dave Piehler

I'm posting this to the General list because it deals with both Vintage and Modern Mooneys.

When Pablo Casals was 93 years old he was asked why he continued to practice his cello three hours a day.  His reply: "Because I'm beginning to notice some improvement."

I've flown my 201 since 1993.  I'm on the other side of 1,000 hrs. PIC.  I keep at it because I may, in fact, be starting to notice some improvement.  But I've led a sheltered life in the sense of flying other Mooney models.  No turbos.  No 6 cylinder engines.  And on the other end, no Johnson bar gear and hydraulic flaps.  

Well, I rectified one part of that experiential deficiency yesterday.  I took my J to the IA for annual, and, to get back, they gave me a 1965 C model with manual gear and hydraulic flaps.  It's IFR certified, but with the funky panel and dated avionics, not to mention flying an unfamiliar bird, I'm glad it was good VFR for the return trip.

I wondered about the J bar and flaps.  Truth be told, it took longer to orient myself to the locations of controls, the operation of the avionics and the panel layout than it did to figure out the gear and flaps.  The gurus are correct:  if you pay attention to the ASI it's no problem to use the J bar and to avoid lowering flaps at too high an airspeed (this one has the service bulletin c/w to allow a higher flap operating speed).

So, with that verbose preface, here's my question:  Does plugging this hole in my experience, and going back to the Al Mooney design, now mean that I've finally escaped my cosseted life and become a REAL Mooney pilot, or do I (1) need to fly a whole lot more in the short bodies (or a manual gear F) or (2) need to tame a rip-roaring, twin turbo, I-Eat-Bonanzas-For-Breakfast Acclaim before I can delude myself and think that I'm actually a full-fledged Mooney stud?

Vintage guys may have one opinion and big bore dudes may have another.  Or is the fact that "If you've flown one Mooney you've flown them all"?  [The FAA would tell us that there are only four Mooneys; for present purposes those would be the M20P and the M20T.  Bonus points for naming the third and fourth.]  

Dave Piehler

Edited by Dave Piehler
Correct typographical error
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

The other two are M10 Cadet and M22 Mustang. And for completeness, the FAA also issued the M10F and M10R designations for the reincarnation of the the M10 trainer that fizzled in 2017.

But to your original question - With due diligence, Mooneyspace makes us all real Mooney pilots regardless of the model we happen to fly ourselves. I know, a long body is different from a short body, but I know that because I've read and studied the differences through the posts here. While I haven't executed them, I've learned the procedures and techniques that work across the varying models. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm a real Mooney guy by virtue of what all of the other real Mooney guys have shared here. So are you.

That's not to diminish the significance of the experience you gained in the C. I expect you were well prepared to learn for the reasons stated above. Congrats on expanding your expertise.

Cheers,
Rick

Edited by Junkman
corrections and additions
  • Like 1

I stand corrected by Junkman.  M22 is indeed in https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2019-10-10_Order_JO_7360.1E_Aircraft_Type_Designators_FINAL.pdf.

So is the M18, but it's designator is MITE.  Also both ERCO and M10 for the Mooney Ercoupe and, as Junkman says, M10J and M10T for the vaporware.

All the M20's you mentioned, you will fly the same wing.................the GREAT Mooney wing!  Regardless of whether you’ve flown all the M20 airplane models,  you are an official real Mooney pilot due the the wing commonality :D........Thank you Al Mooney and Ralph Harmon.

• Like 2

Not exactly in the direct M20 lineup, but don't forget the TBM series.  It is the natural progression of what Mooney could have become.  Wouldn't it be neat to have progressed as a pilot from the Mite to the TBM 900 series!

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Dave Piehler Raptor, I can't believe you've never flown a turbo Mooney. Next time we find ourselves on the same ramp, we'll have to rectify that. You'll be more than welcome to the left seat in my 252.

Good luck with that  Paul.  He’s just a hop from me and been to my airport many times.  Never DID get him any Rocket time.  Hell, you, from thousands of miles away, got log time my turbine.  BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY HAD LUNCH WITH ME!!! :P

Tom 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Piehler said:

I'm posting this to the General list because it deals with both Vintage and Modern Mooneys.

When Pablo Casals was 93 years old he was asked why he continued to practice his cello three hours a day.  His reply: "Because I'm beginning to notice some improvement."

I've flown my 201 since 1993.  I'm on the other side of 1,000 hrs. PIC.  I keep at it because I may, in fact, be starting to notice some improvement.  But I've led a sheltered life in the sense of flying other Mooney models.  No turbos.  No 6 cylinder engines.  And on the other end, no Johnson bar gear and hydraulic flaps.  

Well, I rectified one part of that experiential deficiency yesterday.  I took my J to the IA for annual, and, to get back, they gave me a 1965 C model with manual gear and hydraulic flaps.  It's IFR certified, but with the funky panel and dated avionics, not to mention flying an unfamiliar bird, I'm glad it was good VFR for the return trip.

I wondered about the J bar and flaps.  Truth be told, it took longer to orient myself to the locations of controls, the operation of the avionics and the panel layout than it did to figure out the gear and flaps.  The gurus are correct:  if you pay attention to the ASI it's no problem to use the J bar and to avoid lowering flaps at too high an airspeed (this one has the service bulletin c/w to allow a higher flap operating speed).

So, with that verbose preface, here's my question:  Does plugging this hole in my experience, and going back to the Al Mooney design, now mean that I've finally escaped my cosseted life and become a REAL Mooney pilot, or do I (1) need to fly a whole lot more in the short bodies (or a manual gear F) or (2) need to tame a rip-roaring, twin turbo, I-Eat-Bonanzas-For-Breakfast Acclaim before I can delude myself and think that I'm actually a full-fledged Mooney stud?

Vintage guys may have one opinion and big bore dudes may have another.  Or is the fact that "If you've flown one Mooney you've flown them all"?  [The FAA would tell us that there are only four Mooneys; for present purposes those would be the M20P and the M20T.  Bonus points for naming the third and fourth.]  

Dave Piehler

So, maybe since you didn’t get to log some Rocket time with me, you can follow @gsxrpilot Paul and log some SE Turbine time!  Might give you another prospective. 

Tom

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

So, maybe since you didn’t get to log some Rocket time with me, you can follow @gsxrpilot Paul and log some SE Turbine time!  Might give you another prospective. 

Tom

And me!  I hadn’t told you yet/asked you but I did have TWO different trips west this spring and early summer / cancelled now...

but a trip to visit TOM and his amazing se turbine is on my bucket list when this world returns to normal... ... please!

I’ll buy the lunch ... and the fuel.

maybe we can show Dave my rocket then.

E

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

And me!  I hadn’t told you yet/asked you but I did have TWO different trips west this spring and early summer / cancelled now...

but a trip to visit TOM and his amazing se turbine is on my bucket list when this world returns to normal... ... please!

I’ll buy the lunch ... and the fuel.

maybe we can show Dave my rocket then.

E

Looking forward to finally meeting you, seeing your amazing Rocket, and getting you some stick time in my Lancair IVPT.  Just remember, @gsxrpilot (Paul) has set the “BAR” !!!! ;)

Tom

• Haha 1

It is good to fly in different planes... it broadens one’s experience.

The difference between my M20C and my M20R...

1) Seems like the difference between night and day...

2) VFR vs IFR... different...

3) 180hp carb vs 310 hp FI’d...

4) All analog vs mostly digital in the important areas... even when the data is displayed with needles...

5) All manual systems vs all powered systems...

6) few systems vs. extra systems... like speed brakes and rudder trim...

7) Bare minimum interior vs. fine luxurious leather and plastic everywhere... including the yokes...

8) Adding a turbo and O2 system would change a few things as well...

9) One of the biggest things to get used to is the weight change...  slow down vs. go down changes...

10) The next biggest thing would be the HP difference and the speed that comes with that...

11) Wether you are going up the ladder or down the ladder... transition training would be good for exploring the bigger vs. smaller envelope...  as well as the smaller vs. bigger envelope...

12) TT May only be a couple of hours... or a couple of days depending on your experience and ability to learn...

So...  Amazingly they do have the same wing.... some came with a wooden spar and wooden surfaces... some came with cleaner rivets... some got a twist in the wing... some got reinforced spars for better gear and flap deployment... the last ones got stronger legs mounted in them...

More so... what makes a Mooney pilot a REAL Mooney pilot...

• Check your heart... it comes from within... oddly, no minimum time required...
  • Check your wallet... there is a C-note in there... what percent is earmarked for Mooney flying expenses...?
  • Check your mind... Your always planning your next Mooney flight, training, or practicing on a Mooney simulator...
  • How Long did you plan Prior to your buying the Mooney? Longer than buying your house?
  • Your pets are named after a Mooney...
  • You have a Mooney symbol in your front yard...
  • Your car has some Mooney decoration on the license plate frame...
  • Your Mooney has a name...
  • You know all the OWTs associated with Mooneys, you are prepared to debunk them technically, but don’t feel the need to do so...
  • Lastly, if you have decades in a Mooney... there is no way you will ever get the Mooney out of your soul... :)

Proof... you can take the pilot out of the Mooney... but you can’t take the Mooney out of the pilot...

Raptor,

Really... You go formating with a bunch of expensive planes with other very capable pilots... when you see the V-tail following in your wake... with its tail gently swaying...  Nothing other than the task at hand comes to mind...

Now imagine what is on the mind of the other formators from the different breeds...

• Power setting to keep up...
  • Fuel burn by the hour...
  • Interest rates are really low...
  • Could I swap into a faster more efficient plane for this task...?
  • Oh yeah... what was that task I had on hand..? (Don’t hit lead!) 

Looking forwards...

• If you thought you would buy a different plane for retirement... it would be an M20E...
  • When looking through trade-a-plane... you zip through the Mooney list first... before checking out the turbines...
  • Your kids come home and tell you their significant other’s mom/dad flys a plane... you hope it’s a Mooney...
  • The last day comes and you have to sell your Mooney... you hope somebody like Alex comes along and takes her home and makes her even better...

Becoming a real Mooney pilot happens slowly over time... probably imperceptibly...  :)

PP thoughts only, Hoping to achieve real Mooney pilot status one day...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

It is good to fly in different planes... it broadens one’s experience.

The difference between my M20C and my M20R...

1) Seems like the difference between night and day...

2) VFR vs IFR... different...

3) 180hp carb vs 310 hp FI’d...

4) All analog vs mostly digital in the important areas... even when the data is displayed with needles...

5) All manual systems vs all powered systems...

6) few systems vs. extra systems... like speed brakes and rudder trim...

7) Bare minimum interior vs. fine luxurious leather and plastic everywhere... including the yokes...

8) Adding a turbo and O2 system would change a few things as well...

9) One of the biggest things to get used to is the weight change...  slow down vs. go down changes...

10) The next biggest thing would be the HP difference and the speed that comes with that...

11) Wether you are going up the ladder or down the ladder... transition training would be good for exploring the bigger vs. smaller envelope...  as well as the smaller vs. bigger envelope...

12) TT May only be a couple of hours... or a couple of days depending on your experience and ability to learn...

So...  Amazingly they do have the same wing.... some came with a wooden spar and wooden surfaces... some came with cleaner rivets... some got a twist in the wing... some got reinforced spars for better gear and flap deployment... the last ones got stronger legs mounted in them...

More so... what makes a Mooney pilot a REAL Mooney pilot...

• Check your heart... it comes from within... oddly, no minimum time required...
  • Check your wallet... there is a C-note in there... what percent is earmarked for Mooney flying expenses...?
  • Check your mind... Your always planning your next Mooney flight, training, or practicing on a Mooney simulator...
  • How Long did you plan Prior to your buying the Mooney? Longer than buying your house?
  • Your pets are named after a Mooney...
  • You have a Mooney symbol in your front yard...
  • Your car has some Mooney decoration on the license plate frame...
  • Your Mooney has a name...
  • You know all the OWTs associated with Mooneys, you are prepared to debunk them technically, but don’t feel the need to do so...
  • Lastly, if you have decades in a Mooney... there is no way you will ever get the Mooney out of your soul... :)

Proof... you can take the pilot out of the Mooney... but you can’t take the Mooney out of the pilot...

Raptor,

Really... You go formating with a bunch of expensive planes with other very capable pilots... when you see the V-tail following in your wake... with its tail gently swaying...  Nothing other than the task at hand comes to mind...

Now imagine what is on the mind of the other formators from the different breeds...

• Power setting to keep up...
  • Fuel burn by the hour...
  • Interest rates are really low...
  • Could I swap into a faster more efficient plane for this task...?
  • Oh yeah... what was that task I had on hand..? (Don’t hit lead!) 

Looking forwards...

• If you thought you would buy a different plane for retirement... it would be an M20E...
  • When looking through trade-a-plane... you zip through the Mooney list first... before checking out the turbines...
  • Your kids come home and tell you their significant other’s mom/dad flys a plane... you hope it’s a Mooney...
  • The last day comes and you have to sell your Mooney... you hope somebody like Alex comes along and takes her home and makes her even better...

Becoming a real Mooney pilot happens slowly over time... probably imperceptibly...  :)

PP thoughts only, Hoping to achieve real Mooney pilot status one day...

Best regards,

-a-

Dang Anthony - you outdid yourself this time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stand corrected by Junkman.  M22 is indeed in https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2019-10-10_Order_JO_7360.1E_Aircraft_Type_Designators_FINAL.pdf.
So is the M18, but it's designator is MITE.  Also both ERCO and M10 for the Mooney Ercoupe and, as Junkman says, M10J and M10T for the vaporware.

Let’s not forget the first M22...

fedc9efdbbf5cc4ade76d5eedc036744.jpg

So if I'm getting the gist of what's being said, I have to:

--Re-badge my car

--Rename my dogs

--Get some Mooney lawn art

--Sell my J and find a nice E to settle down with, and, finally,

--Find someone to rent me a pressurized Mooney Twin.

Have I got that?

I draw the line at naming my airplane, however.  I've never been able to bring myself to anthropomorphize mechanical objects.

Dave

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Looking forward to finally meeting you, seeing your amazing Rocket, and getting you some stick time in my Lancair IVPT.  Just remember, @gsxrpilot (Paul) has set the “BAR” !!!! ;)

Tom

Getting a chance to fly Tom's Lancair IVPT was a true bucket list item. And it turned out to be even better than I had imagined. The fact that Tom hasn't had to institute a lottery system for rides, or at least put a limit on visiting hours, just blows my mind. This is the very nicest example of the very pinnacle of GA speed and performance. Think of getting to drive a Porsche Carrera GT, or a McLaren F1. It's actually an even more exclusive club than that, because you'd first have to go build the IVPT. If you're within Mooney range of either IMT or 7FL6... 

#onceinalifetime #bucketlist 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Getting a chance to fly Tom's Lancair IVPT was a true bucket list item. And it turned out to be even better than I had imagined. The fact that Tom hasn't had to institute a lottery system for rides, or at least put a limit on visiting hours, just blows my mind. This is the very nicest example of the very pinnacle of GA speed and performance. Think of getting to drive a Porsche Carrera GT, or a McLaren F1. It's actually an even more exclusive club than that, because you'd first have to go build the IVPT. If you're within Mooney range of either IMT or 7FL6... 

#onceinalifetime #bucketlist 

Tom has a beautiful plane, I hope to get a ride in it myself one day. you will also want to check out the Lancair legacy.... talk about a sports car!!

Brian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Piehler said:

So if I'm getting the gist of what's being said, I have to:

--Re-badge my car

--Rename my dogs

--Get some Mooney lawn art

--Sell my J and find a nice E to settle down with, and, finally,

--Find someone to rent me a pressurized Mooney Twin.

Have I got that?

I draw the line at naming my airplane, however.  I've never been able to bring myself to anthropomorphize mechanical objects.

Dave

Oh my, it looks like they have not told you.  I was on here for probably ten years before anyone thought to tell me.  There is a whole, secret code of conduct for Mooney pilots that has nothing to do with how many pink flamingoes you have on your lawn.  See 

Don't look at me, carusoam started it.  There are a couple of upstart, "me too" threads about lesser things in life in general, like Tequila and Steakhouses.  Well, Steakhouses are pretty important, but Tequila?  At any rate, you have to start figuring out "the code," it might take awhile and has little to do with how you handle your Johnson.

10 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

Oh my, it looks like they have not told you.  I was on here for probably ten years before anyone thought to tell me.  There is a whole, secret code of conduct for Mooney pilots that has nothing to do with how many pink flamingoes you have on your lawn.  See 

Don't look at me, carusoam started it.  There are a couple of upstart, "me too" threads about lesser things in life in general, like Tequila and Steakhouses.  Well, Steakhouses are pretty important, but Tequila?  At any rate, you have to start figuring out "the code," it might take awhile and has little to do with how you handle your Johnson.

I have some small amount of knowledge on the issue of single malt scotch, being a charter member of the Royal and Ancient, Secret and Sober Society of the Single Malt and a long-time correspondent of Scotty McClurg.  I'm also one of the few who can actually remember the combination to the padlock on the liquor cabinet in the Mooney Caravan tent at AirVenture.  We freely share that knowledge at every tasting, but for some reason no one seems to remember it the morning after.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2