Bow-legged M20J

N177MC

When the gear is up, do they go all the way into the well?  As RL said, the over-center links could be worn.  Mine had gotten so bad it was hard to set the tension and the gear were not going up all the way.  Replacing the links corrected things.  I think it can contribute to the look in the picture, even if not 100%.

Everything else is fine, wheels retract properly, doors are tight, etc.

Haven't noticed this particularly when on the stands, will check next time.

The plane is chocked because it's performing a full throttle power check following engine overhaul.

Thanks for the input !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N177MC said:

The plane is chocked because it's performing a full throttle power check following engine overhaul.

Oh boy.  Obviously everything turned out okay but I would never chalk the nose wheel for a run up.  Chalk the mains.  I've seen too many pictures of collapsed nose wheels from run ups with gear that was slightly worn or out of adjustment (other makes, not necessarily Mooney).

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I do not know about anyone else or if it is a problem since I am PPL only and there are so many other good qualified people on here. But, it certainly appears in the picture that the outside tubular structure on the port side is bent.  Look at the distance at the bottom of the both parts of the tubular structure the width is significantly different.

• Like 1

+1 on nose wheel safety issue... it is designed to fold back...  the mains are more secure in that direction... they fold sideways... :)

Mooney main legs are hard to make judgements about as they don’t sit vertically....

There is at least one thread around here where many people have taken pics of the angle of the gear... but that is hard to make judgements from as well...  lots of lens angle and distance get in the way...

It may help to see another Mooney in the wild...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, wcb said:

I do not know about anyone else or if it is a problem since I am PPL only and there are so many other good qualified people on here. But, it certainly appears in the picture that the outside tubular structure on the port side is bent.  Look at the distance at the bottom of the both parts of the tubular structure the width is significantly different.

Nope nothing bent.

BTW, I am an experienced A&P/IA . 

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Mooney main legs are hard to make judgements about as they don’t sit vertically....

There is at least one thread around here where many people have taken pics of the angle of the gear... but that is hard to make judgements from as well...  lots of lens angle and distance get in the way...

Indeed, it's not easy to get the angles and POV just right. 

That said, believe me there is a positive 3° to 5° camber from vertical, on both gear legs.

Edited by N177MC

8 hours ago, N177MC said:

The mains on a  late model M20J that I maintain lean rather significantly inwards, making it look bow-legged.

I have checked the rigging but found nothing amiss .

What am I missing ?

Thanks!

M20J bowlegged.jpg

The photo appears to have some irregularity issues.  Things aren't always as they appear...... ;)

I'm pretty sure if you take a couple of steps to the right and look straight down the aircraft, it will look as though both legs are canted inwards, and if you move further to the right then the starboard leg will look 'wrong' and the port leg 'correct'. It will also change if you make the wings horizontal in the picture!

• Like 1