Overhead Cabin Interior Light

First aircraft, first post! Purchased an Ovation a few weeks ago!! Hoping to get some advice here. Turned the overhead lights on, and the housing melted:blink:. Mx manual calls for a GE 1818 bulb, but my bulbs are wedge type bulbs with 194LL printed on them. They don't look like a GE1818 at all. I suspect a previous owner replaced with a different housing and a 14v wedge bulb... All 4 of my overhead lights were identical, prior to melting. Part number of the housing is 914038-001 and I can't seem to locate it anywhere. So my questions are:

Where can I find the correct housing?

Is GE1818 the correct bulb, and why is the form factor different than what is installed?

Thanks!

Scott

Welcome aboard Scott...

I think you found the problem... a 14v bulb in a 28V socket is going to get extra hot...

Often, in the past... Mooney put 28v bulbs in 14v sockets to produce dim light... for gear position lighting...

As a new owner... you want to pick up copies of the maintenance and parts manuals... 

MSCs are usually the resource to find these electronic copies.... some may be posted online by various MSCs...

See if the search function can find them around here...

Your search may also come up with updated checklists too...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Scottknoll said:

First aircraft, first post! Purchased an Ovation a few weeks ago!! Hoping to get some advice here. Turned the overhead lights on, and the housing melted:blink:. Mx manual calls for a GE 1818 bulb, but my bulbs are wedge type bulbs with 194LL printed on them. They don't look like a GE1818 at all. I suspect a previous owner replaced with a different housing and a 14v wedge bulb... All 4 of my overhead lights were identical, prior to melting. Part number of the housing is 914038-001 and I can't seem to locate it anywhere. So my questions are:

Where can I find the correct housing?

Is GE1818 the correct bulb, and why is the form factor different than what is installed?

Thanks!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Mooneyspace!  Have you got a picture of the part and a serial number for your plane?  

Clarence

23 hours ago, tmo said:

If you didn't buy the bulbs yet, perhaps consider seeing if there are reasonable LED replacements available.

I you do that, you'll either have to accept there is no dimming available, or change the resistors (which are behind the interior trim, i.e. a git to get to!)

• Like 1