EAA Solidworks Question

It can be a two Or three part answer...

If you are familiar with technical drawing already... there are lots of ‘rules’ and standards to become familiar with...

If you know that already... adding the computer skills necessary is the next logical step...

If you have cad/cam experience like autocad by autodesk already... learning the details of the Solidworks program is quite easy, and more powerful than the other brands you may be familiar with...

Fortunately, what most of us are using it for... is simple 2D layouts of instrument panels...

Either way don’t be discouraged... the more you learn, the better your drawings become... even if you have to add the finer details in by hand later...   :)

If you get really good at Solidworks, you can design parts in 3D, and generate 3D images, and rotate them on any axis or two...

Then turn parts into sub-assemblies, and then into full machines.... and then add them to a full factory production layout...

PP thoughts only, I only got to the autocad lite level...

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, pmccand said:

LOTS OF MONEY!  That is by FAR the most expensive CAD program I have ever come across... the industry standard, but very few humans  can afford the license.  The first year is is free, but want to continue next year, expect an earth shattering increase ... many many AMU’s

It's free to EAA members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmccand said:

LOTS OF MONEY!  That is by FAR the most expensive CAD program I have ever come across... the industry standard, but very few humans  can afford the license.  The first year is is free, but want to continue next year, expect an earth shattering increase ... many many AMU’s

Nah, Pro-E / Creo is an order of magnitude higher. Used it in my last job, it's also two orders of magnitude more difficult to learn. Maybe three.

I'm really good with AutoCAD, and am relearning SolidWorks after being away for several years. But I find it difficult to use fir simple 2D things like equipment layout, panels, etc.--that's what I use AutoCAD for.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pmccand said:

From the download page of the EAA web site...

”EAA Members may download the software and obtain a one-year license to use the software. EAA members may renew their license annually subject to the program terms and conditions in effect at the time of renewal.”

I read the first sentence So I thought it was a one time deal.  I am not too sure about what the second sentence is all about with the “terms and conditions”.   Generally, SolidWorks has supplied their product to schools and individual users “free” for the first year or as long as they are still in school, but they are quick to pull the rug from under your feet as soon as you are hooked and working for some large design firm.  I spoke with a local metal machine shop design studio and he was paying $20,000 annually for his CAD setup with all the license fees, module add ons and multi-user fluff.  The basic cost is around $7 AMU’s basic barebones.  So if EAA allows repetitive  renewals for private individuals, that is an amazing deal.

My understanding is that it is free to use as long as you maintain your EAA membership and as long as the program remains in effect. I've been using my free EAA copy for about 4 years now.

Will look into YouTube more, it is quite the undertaking coming from no background in drafting. I can do some basic sketches but not what I would like to be able to do.

Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get that far, Chris...

You should be able to rotate it and check the clearances in 3D...

Turn it sideways... to see if the boxes above the yoke’s shaft have enough room for clearance...

how much vertical motion does the shaft have?

Best regards,

-a-

The reason it's so deep is because there is a half inch shell around the panel outline for tolerances around the mounting points.  Then on the backside I can make sure everything fits through the hole.  On the front it's an offset reference geometry.

The cutout and the back of the display is 1.5 inches above the shaft.  It's as far up as it can really go and still keep the push to test indicators.  The math says it's ok.

CC Panel rear.JPG

I will also do the wiring in solidworks so I know how much cable I need.

Edited by chriscalandro

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! If anyone else is looking to further their skills in solidworks, I found Solidprofessor is extremely thorough and has helped me learn as a I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Ripley98 said:

Thanks for all the input! If anyone else is looking to further their skills in solidworks, I found Solidprofessor is extremely thorough and has helped me learn as a I go.

Where does one find the good professor? Inside SW, or do a Google search?

On 4/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, pmccand said:

Dassault made CATIA initially to be able to sell few of their expensive Falcons as 3D models to rich clients before building them in the 80's, turns out that latter that selling CAD program licenses brings more money than the whole jet fleet business (about 100 times in revenues as of 2010)

It's taken me about a year of on again off again dabble hobby level of interest to get somewhat proficient, having had no background in CAD.

Youtube.  Seriously.  And the solidworks forum. That's where the problem solving gets done.

Venturing into 3d printing has gotten my drafting skills up to snuff.  I now want to learn mechanical interactions, simulations, electrical etc. 

The learning curve is quite steep. 

This is the level I've gotten to so far (trim switch yoke housing).

image.thumb.png.299911bd65d8bed42ed2202c8ccf58b5.png

• Like 3