Hangar Life

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

What is the big dark red tarp hanging from the ceiling for? Protect the convertible from a leaking roof?

Hi Art.

It’s a Kennon aircraft cover, rigged with pulleys and cords.  Keeps dust off of plane.

Kennon would custom manufacture them based on your aircraft brand and specified dimensions.

Kennon no longer produces the covers.

A hangar is like a pack, no matter what size you give a young Marine he will fill it and then some.

The only issue is getting the contraband out before the yearly Fire Marshall inspections, or so I've heard!!!!

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Stan said:

The only issue is getting the contraband out before the yearly Fire Marshall inspections, or so I've heard!!!!

In a fly-in community where everyone owns their own hangar, I suspect a fire Marshall would have a heart attack!  :lol:

(what's a fire Marshall?)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

In a fly-in community where everyone owns their own hangar, I suspect a fire Marshall would have a heart attack!  :lol:

(what's a fire Marshall?)

My father-in-law is a Fire Marshall. When I lived in Texas, my hangar was about 2 miles from his house. He never once visited my hangar :huh:

• Haha 2

If fire marshals are raiding hangars then do the same fire marshals also inspect every single storage unit in town? That all seems like massive busy-work idea to boost up someone’s resume.

5 minutes ago, philip_g said:

All I could think of is how little I'd fly, having to move two planes. If it were me I'd put the Mooney on the bottom and let my friend use it to save myself the hassle :)

That seems to be the path that the hangar owner / lessee took . . . . . The Mooney is "visiting".

On 4/13/2020 at 1:45 PM, philip_g said:

All I could think of is how little I'd fly, having to move two planes. If it were me I'd put the Mooney on the bottom and let my friend use it to save myself the hassle :)

I thought that too, but with practice I can have it out in under 20 min. Same putting it back. Beats brushing snow off in the winter.

Brian

On 4/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, MooneyMitch said:

Sleepless nights for me..................:(

Surprisingly I haven't had too many issues with that. Other than almost losing a meal or two the first time I lifted it, I've been fine. More importantly, the hangar principal is okay with it.

Brian

On 4/13/2020 at 12:45 PM, philip_g said:

Moving 2 planes wears me out, Box hangar so the Mooney goes in the LH rear corner at a 45°, Cessna's right wing goes over the top of the Mooney, the do fit if swapped but NO room to walk around each plane....gotta get a tug built before summer..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently became a dealer for Majic Stairs, We normally put these in garages and walk in closets but this is our first set we installed in a hangar. The owner had built his home and hangar 30 year ago and never had access to his storage. This was a fun day in a really cool hangar with a front and center view of the private runway. 

IMG_20200417_173825190_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200417_173816143.jpg

IMG_20200417_173808816.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You may as well just install a relief tube to prevent leaks during those low manifold pressure times.

Also, forgot to add.....  Don’t forget to label that bucket because you really don’t want to mistake that one for what you have in primary fermentation.  Unless you’ve upgraded to a conical.

Edited by Nick Pilotte
  • Haha 2