Fuel Servo Help

Niko182

During panel install, the avionics shop noticed a small fuel leak at the servo end. It lightly drips as of now. Is this a "lets overhaul the entire servo", or a "install a new gasket or O-ring" kind of deal.

Nik

Wow!  Video works...   and it is alarming too... perfect for the scary movie section of MS. :)

That isn’t an ordinary slow wearing OH on time kind of thing...

Looks like the shaft lost its seal...

Any ideas on how much time is on that part?

How did you find out about the leak?  Aroma, blue stains, puddle under the cowl?

Best regards,

-a-

31 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Unable to see video...

How many hours on the Servo?

-a-

Looking at the logs the plane has 1724 TTSN. So it seems the fuel servo has 1724 hours since overhaul.

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

During panel install, the avionics shop noticed a small fuel leak at the servo end. It lightly drips as of now. Is this a "lets overhaul the entire servo", or a "install a new gasket or O-ring" kind of deal.

Nik

That’s the mixture shaft on the fuel pump.  Time for a repair or overhaul depending on the shop you send it to.

Clarence

Just now, M20Doc said:

That’s the mixture shaft on the fuel pump.  Time for a repair or overhaul depending on the shop you send it to.

Clarence

whats the price to fix or overhaul something like that?

Just now, Niko182 said:

whats the price to fix or overhaul something like that?

Not sure, but here’s a typical fuel pump.  Need the spec number for your engine to be sure of the p/n

Clarence

B111CB0D-015D-4E0D-9806-1AEFB3616D73.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

That’s a screaming fire under The cowl possibility... until properly remediated, kind of thing...

Arizona May have an MSC and this subassembly on a shelf?

Since it is a shaft and it’s seal may be an Oring... finding a mechanic to swap it out may be a remote possibility ... (?)

Bummer.

PP thoughts only...

-a-

Probably a good thing to get the fuel pump rebuilt. I think there was another ‘99 eagle owner who had a similar problem not long ago. It’s more of a 20 YO thing not the number of hours IMO.

However, the idea of checking the fuel system for leaks periodically with the electric pump is a good one...might add that to the oil change procedure once or twice a year. 

Edited by MIm20c

talked to my mechanic and he told me the O rings have a tendency to dry up if sitting for a long period of time. 52Q has been sitting for 3 and a half months since being started so it was started on Friday. waiting to see if the O ring seals up. if it doesn't, sucks and we shall send it out probably to that carb and injector place in justin, texas I think. if it does seal up, I'll fly it back home, and have them overhaul it during the annual next month.

I wont be flying it then. As far as sound is concerned, definetely never sounded like that when i flew it. But it could be the microphone being in the egine. And clarence, do you have that SB number by any chance?

4 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I wont be flying it then. As far as sound is concerned, definetely never sounded like that when i flew it. But it could be the microphone being in the egine. And clarence, do you have that SB number by any chance?

Here you go!   TAT SB12-02

www.taturbo.com

Clarence 

Edited by M20Doc

On 4/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Niko182 said:

Nik

For what it's worth, I recently had my fuel servo O/H due to excessive richness in the mixture while at full rich. Fortunately it was not leaking like this one!

It has made a big difference in terms of power and was definitely worth the money.

Assuming the servo had been overhauled at the last MOH, it had about 1000 hours on it.

10 minutes ago, Shadow said:

For what it's worth, I recently had my fuel servo O/H due to excessive richness in the mixture while at full rich. Fortunately it was not leaking like this one!

It has made a big difference in terms of power and was definitely worth the money.

Assuming the servo had been overhauled at the last MOH, it had about 1000 hours on it.

What FF did you consider excessive at full rich?

Well it was decided to just bite the bullet and deal with it. A new servo was ordered yesterday. It came into chandler aviation this morning and they shouod be done with it today. Shout out to chandler aviation for the honest help. He went out of his way to get 52q back home instead of having to wait 1 or 2 weeks. Im still on track to pick it up tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, M20Doc said:

Make sure that they set up the fuel pressures and flows to the correct values for your engine installation.

Clarence

He told me itll be run on the ground to figure out the fuel flows how high and low power.

Just be aware of the FF is related to the max HP...

310 HP gets one max setpoint, 280 HP gets a lower one...

310 HP typically gets set to the max FF available in the STC, a number like 27.2gph...

Some hangar elfs re-typed the STC to adjust that number a bit higher... 

Getting the retyped STC while on the road could be a challenge...

The actual STC is a good place to start... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-