A10 gear up

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

Full span flaps, too, with split ailerons for flap extension, roll control and speedbrakes all in one! 

A terrific performer.  I've seen the A10 several times at local airshows.....highly maneuverable down low and slow !

Interesting pictures. Looks like he landed with ordnance on the wing in one picture, then the hero shot has clean pylons. Surprised they didn’t punch the pylons off prior to landing. I Know a few guys that fly them and absolutely love the Jet!! The thing is massive!!

-Matt

• Like 2

I was driving down to Mexico about 6 weeks ago and about 20 miles south of KGBN in the middle of the Goldwater range, there were two A-10s shooting at a target about 1/2 mile west of the highway. They would fly around at about 3000 AGL, then line up on the target, pitch down at about a 45 degree angle and then shoot that awesome gun. I could see the smoke trail from the gun then the dust kicked up on the ground from the bullets hitting the ground.       Too cool!

• Like 3

The bottom of that plane is highly armored...

For protection against ground fire...

Jack it up, fix the gear, fly to paint shop... :)

The plane went up in value because its a one piece belly that has been proven to be runway proof already!

My first avatar photo for MS included a pair of A10s landing in the background over my plane at SnF around 2010... 

PP thoughts only, not an military plane historian...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The bottom of that plane is highly armored...

For protection against ground fire...

Jack it up, fix the gear, fly to paint shop... :)

The plane went up in value because its a one piece belly that has been proven to be runway proof already!

My first avatar photo for MS included a pair of A10s landing in the background over my plane at SnF around 2010... 

PP thoughts only, not an military plane historian...

Best regards,

-a-

No kidding.  The runway likely needs a tear down and inspection now.  I grew up with a couple A-10 pilots in my Dad’s flying circle.  Always had mad respect for those guys.  And both were phenomenal pilots too.  I wish I could have their signatures on any lines in my logbook, but both have already flown west.  Fair skies and tailwinds fine Sirs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Hey, I was at Tornado-n-Fun in 2010. Or was it '11? Finished grad school in '09, then IFR a d SnF.

Hmmm I must have been there in 2010... early in my O-ownership... got an iPad with WingX after that...

2011... I was in Tampa Florida the week before SnF... pre-season baseball with a plane load of people... ran into a cold front that went from TX to the east coast of Florida...  IFR in IMC... the returns on the strike finder were so busy it just said lightning in all directions... getting useful airplane weather over the radio was impossible... landed checked the weather And stayed VFR until across the The line...   bought an ADSB in solution after that...

I think my 2011 experience was the prelude to tornado n fun...   :)

PP deductions only combined with fuzzy memories...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, N231BN said:

It was 2011, I was in an exhibit building at the time.

Thanks, timeline confirmed:  2009, MSE; 2010, IFR; 2011, SnF.

I was buying my LED belly strobe in Hangar D when it all went to hell . . . .

15 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I grew up with a couple A-10 pilots in my Dad’s flying circle.  Always had mad respect for those guys.  And both were phenomenal pilots too.  I wish I could have their signatures on any lines in my logbook, but both have already flown west.  Fair skies and tailwinds fine Sirs!

My last two annual recurrent training sessions for my Lancair IVPT were signed off by a recently retired A-10 pilot.  Very impressive professional pilot!

Tom