Aspen EFD 1000 heading error

Hello all,

Flew up and back from Florida to Boston this past weekend and returning Sunday I had a 20-30 deg heading error on EFD compared to wet compass.  On RWY 22 at my halfway point heading showed 202.  Winds we’re always 90 deg off left wing at 80+ knots.  I was able to search and find a video one Mooney owner posted with same issue and said it was “magnetic heading sensor calibration failure”.  I sent an email to Aspen support tonight but just wondering if someone else has experienced it and if it’s a pull and send back?

thanks

I had a similar issue. My Aspen was off by 20 degrees. Not a big deal. You have to recalibrate the unit. Similar to a
Compass swing. The procedure takes about 10 min and is very easy.

The calibration procedure is described in the installation manual. Talk to your avionics guy.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

[mention=8898]Oscar Avalle[/mention] thanks.  Just need to find one here then.  Sounds like a good excuse for a Friday morning flight.  I needed to anyway since I replaced all my panel shock mounts in February and now my attitude and slip are a little off.

Send me a PM. Calibration is done on the ground over a compass rose.

• 11 months later...

I am also having a heading error with my Aspen PFD 1000.  It seems to be an infrequent issue and I am wondering if this is a calibration issue or something else.  Most of the time the Aspen provides an accurate heading.  However, yesterday flying from KMSL to KHSV on a 90 degree heading, I discovered I had a heading error of about 20 degrees.  I reset the PFD and it seemed to resolve the issue.  This is the second time I have observed the issue in 38 hours of flight time.

It can be affected by cargo loading creating a local magnetic field.  My sensor is installed above the hat rack.  On one flight I had a long metal piece that extended into the hat rack.  About 30 degrees of heading error.  Of course I didn’t catch this in the preflight so completed a long flight with the error.  My first indication was that there seems to be a really strong cross wind that was not predicted:D

• Like 1

It can be affected by cargo loading creating a local magnetic field.  My sensor is installed above the hat rack.  On one flight I had a long metal piece that extended into the hat rack.  About 30 degrees of heading error.  Of course I didn’t catch this in the preflight so completed a long flight with the error.  My first indication was that there seems to be a really strong cross wind that was not predicted

Yes, the indication is that of an extreme strong crosswind that does not make any sense. I was able to recalibrate my unit, but last year it happened again and Aspen suggested I change the AHRS unit.

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2020 at 8:22 AM, Oscar Avalle said:

Send me a PM. Calibration is done on the ground over a compass rose.

Hello Oscar.  I just found this post and would appreciate anything you can share regarding calibration of the Aspen EFD1000PFD.  Mine is right on e & w but off 13 degrees n & s.  Thanks in advance!  

Bob

Hello Oscar.  I just found this post and would appreciate anything you can share regarding calibration of the Aspen EFD1000PFD.  Mine is right on e & w but off 13 degrees n & s.  Thanks in advance!  
Bob

Bob, the installation manual (you can find it through google)has a clear description how you can do it.

I don’t have the link now at hand, but it is rather simple and easy to do.

Bob, the installation manual (you can find it through google)has a clear description how you can do it.

I don’t have the link now at hand, but it is rather simple and easy to do.

Bob

Here is the link

https://manualzz.com/doc/7396366/efd1000-and-efd500-software-version-2.x-installation-manual

Oscar

• Like 1