Looking for test flight Omaha, NE (post virus)

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing vintage Mooney M20 due to the speed and low GPH they enjoy.  However, I haven't had a chance to sit in one  on the ground, or fly in one to see how they handle.  If anyone has a plane hangared around here or regularly travels to Omaha, NE let me know.  I am thinking post virus I would like to go up.  Though if you're in Omaha  with our low number of cases so far I might just chance it if you're up for it or at least visit a hangar and sit in one maintaining 6 ft of distance.

so from a 172 to an m20.... much smaller and closer... like a 152 from side to side... then jamb yourself as close to the DASH as possibly comfortable... then another click forward.  Now your getting the feel for it.  The rudder controls are buried deep under the dash.   Another option for a trial seating... IMO ... is the Bellanca viking.  Mooney Cabins are small, planes cruise fast, they do NOT like to slow down so speed on shorts is critical cuz they float forever if too fast.  I have about 100 hrs in my E and still have a hard time hitting the marks when I want to.  Granted its not a skill I spend hrs upon hrs on right now.  I'm at  KAPA colorado if your down this way, Corona or not... unless your C positive... then uh.. yeah after, way after.. lol.  Be happy to oblige and go fly, always looking for a reason to go up.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, moonlighting7 said:

so from a 172 to an m20.... much smaller and closer... like a 152 from side to side... then jamb yourself as close to the DASH as possibly comfortable... then another click forward.  Now your getting the feel for it.  The rudder controls are buried deep under the dash.   Another option for a trial seating... IMO ... is the Bellanca viking.  Mooney Cabins are small, planes cruise fast, they do NOT like to slow down so speed on shorts is critical cuz they float forever if too fast.  

It's sad that these misconceptions are propagated by some Mooney owners. 

Mooney Cabin - 43.5" wide
Cessna 172 Cabin - 40" wide

My neighbor owns a 2006 172, I own a 1987 M20K. We fly together in each other's aircraft. There's no question there is more room in the Mooney. We're talking two people, front seats.

The seating position is more Corvette and less Pickup truck. But if your inseam is longer than 30", you'll reach the peddles fine. If shorter than that, get some pedal extensions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...