Tail Art Thread (Mooney Aircraft only please)

0TreeLemur

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I like the model airplane in the background.  ;)

I wonder if he carved the propeller himself. I'd like to try that, but not sure I'd trust it enough to get off the ground . . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not want to thread drift, so if you give me just a moment I will get to the Mooney Tail Art.  However first a bit of history.  When I lived in TX my wife was an A&P for the Commemorative Air Force and they main aircraft her unit had was a C-47 named Bluebonnet Belle.  The wife loved that airplane and poured blood, sweat, and tears into it.  She was truly a work of art.

https://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/aircraft/c47

Tragically, on 21 July 2018, Bluebonnet Belle was destroyed in a takeoff accident and post crash fire.  All 13 people on board lived with 1 needing treatment at a burn center.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/news/historic-bluebonnet-belle-crash

After the crash my wife was very upset and has only seen the crash video once, she can't watch it again.  If you looked at the links above you will see that Belle had a pretty distinctive tail.  When we bought our Mooney we knew we would get a paint job done at some point and the wife was wanting to memorialize Belle in our Mooney.  By no means is this a final design, but here is a thrown together idea we had for the tail of my Mooney when we get it painted.

Belle Memorial Tail.JPG

• Like 12

2 hours ago, eman1200 said:

I’m sorry you have zero sense of humor and are so tightly wound. It is a light hearted joke but it IS tail, and it IS art. Sorry you choose to spend your negative energy on it instead of just moving on to the next post.

Nothing to do with tightly wound, but there might very well be others on the forums that aren't looking to see that when browsing MS. Probably more appreciated by the crowd on POA. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

I do not want to thread drift, so if you give me just a moment I will get to the Mooney Tail Art.  However first a bit of history.  When I lived in TX my wife was an A&P for the Commemorative Air Force and they main aircraft her unit had was a C-47 named Bluebonnet Belle.  The wife loved that airplane and poured blood, sweat, and tears into it.  She was truly a work of art.

https://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/aircraft/c47

Tragically, on 21 July 2018, Bluebonnet Belle was destroyed in a takeoff accident and post crash fire.  All 13 people on board lived with 1 needing treatment at a burn center.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/news/historic-bluebonnet-belle-crash

After the crash my wife was very upset and has only seen the crash video once, she can't watch it again.  If you looked at the links above you will see that Belle had a pretty distinctive tail.  When we bought our Mooney we knew we would get a paint job done at some point and the wife was wanting to memorialize Belle in our Mooney.  By no means is this a final design, but here is a thrown together idea we had for the tail of my Mooney when we get it painted.

Belle Memorial Tail.JPG

Bravo to you two..... and what a potentially terrific way to salute our beloved Mooney airplanes, and the dedicated men and women that built them.

Mooney aircraft, what a great American story!

Of course, such a wonderful tribute to Belle.

8 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Here's mine- a bit retro...

Tail_logo_up_close.jpg

Where did you get yours? I have an old Mooney logo know the tail but it is half worn away from age and have been wanting to replace it. I've been thinking of just getting an American flag and putting it on instead. 

Hey, wait! Do the phoenix wings have two lines or three? Is the tail a fallen-over E or three separate lines? Let's get thus set straight!

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Tail.thumb.jpg.eefd2c00730170d7258be2e87094bb5c.jpg

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

tailflash1.thumb.jpg.8a235c78a8b52ad964952b05450e24d2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 7.00.07 PM.png

4 minutes ago, HRM said:

1857951906_N5976QTail.thumb.png.ce18ec506f7e1dfc3691e2ab076d76df.png

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

DSC_7882.thumb.JPG.721b90d9f2e6c995cd1827d8305bcc15.JPG

And cheers! to those with unique, individual tail feathers!!

40 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Where did you get yours? I have an old Mooney logo know the tail but it is half worn away from age and have been wanting to replace it. I've been thinking of just getting an American flag and putting it on instead. 

There is an outfit in the Philippines that sells all kinds of aircraft logo stickers, I found them on eBay.    Not too expensive.  They ship by rowboat, whale, paraglider, and overland trail, so it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.   Good quality vinyl.  I recommend them.  You get a pair, each facing the opposite direction from the other.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

There is an outfit in the Philippines that sells all kinds of aircraft logo stickers, I found them on eBay.    Not too expensive.  They ship by rowboat, whale, paraglider, and overland trail, so it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.   Good quality vinyl.  I recommend them.  You get a pair, each facing the opposite direction from the other.

Or, if your local friendly aircraft paint shop has graphics equipment, they could produce the logo. 

Yes on the Philippines gang also.

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Nothing to do with tightly wound, but there might very well be others on the forums that aren't looking to see that when browsing MS. Probably more appreciated by the crowd on POA. 

It didn't seem to me to be any worse than the pics of Marauder's girls that show up here from time to time.   It's nothing I haven't seen at the local Wal-Mart before.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-Aircraft-Logo-Emblem-Decal-Sticker/193359971371?hash=item2d0527042b:g:Nt4AAOSwU-pXucib

I do believe these are the folks for your logo.

Just now, bonal said:

Not my Mooney but saw this one on the ramp and liked the tail art so snapped a picture. Perhaps the owner is on MS and could share a better photo.

image.jpeg

I've seen a picture of that plane before . . . . .

• Like 1

I almost ALWAYS agree with you.   But, don’t let your yearly support lag as you’ll see this pretty regularly if you run past one year before you make your “Annual Contribution “.  :)

Tom

Richard- you can always try this guy.  He did my logos and owns an old M20C.

http://www.aircraftstickers.com/

• Thanks 1