Turbo Mooney Forum/Section

I wonder if it might be nice to have a forum section for Turbo Mooneys. We've got three "type" specific sections right now. Vintage (pre-J), Modern (J and beyond), and Bravos. 

From an M20C with a RayJay to the fastest certificated piston single, the almighty Acclaim. Turbos are unique in many ways from maintenance, to flight planning, to LOP opps. 

I thought it might be good to collect topics specific to turbos into a single forum.

Just an idea.

• Like 13

I agree turbo operations have their own special issues from engine ops to maintenance to human pilot medical factors to weather altitude factors.  Seems like the rest of us turbo operators either post these in the modern Mooney section or jump in on bravo discussions.  I would think the bravo section should be converted to turbo Mooney section.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

As an owner of a NA I'd like to chime in that this is a good idea. It would help to provide more specific topics and minimize some thread drift we see on subjects like flight operations specific to each type. Just my 2 cents 

• Like 3

My first Mooney was an E-model.  Great airplane, fun and easy to fly.  When I got the IR it made sense to look at a different plane, based on the minimalist avionics in the E-model (and of course we all want to go faster).  I transitioned to a GB engine 231.  I really wish there had been a forum for turbo Mooneys back then, because some of the detailed information you need to cost-effectively operate these aircraft is not in the POH. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm not a fan of converting the Bravo section to Turbo. The Bravo has enough "Bravo-isms" specific to that model that I've found value in as a Bravo owner.

However, I'm a fan of creating a turbo section as turbo flying has procedures and best practices that apply to several models.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I don't know, I am sure I am not alone in feeling there are already to many sections here as it is and most of the these well meaning sections are more often miss-used. For example, very few Bravo post are actually Bravo specific; especially when they are about the airframe. Beechtalk does a section on Engine Talk - that seems like a better approach to me.  

• Like 3

See if we can add some logic to the request...

What are the upsides...

What are the down sides...

I haven’t found much value in being too specific... or being too loose...

Some issues are engine specific...

Others are airframe specific...

But those are mostly maintenance issues...

The flying aspects are more similar than they are different...

The search function has quietly improved... we can now search for things like TKS or QQQ...  three letters used to be too short.

See if that helps...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/1/2021 at 1:42 PM, kortopates said:

Beechtalk does a section on Engine Talk - that seems like a better approach to me.  

The one thing I like about Beechtalk is how the topics are done. Obviously there is nothing wrong with how it is done here but I think it is a little better on Beechtalk.