Want to reseal my fuel tanks during Pandemic

This post comes to you from a 64 M20E owner in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Currently self quarantined. 

My tanks leak a little, not bad, but a little. I am considering doing tank resealing while in this holding pattern. I would appreciate advise in this regard. Especially from those whom have done it. I plan to do the work myself with supervision and sign-off by my AME. 

I know there are some whom will say "don't bother" but I am one of those owners that likes everything to work properly on my airplane. I would just feel better not having any leaks. Seems inevitable that it will require doing sometime. Why not now? 

I am seeking mentors. Especially those who may have iPhones making FaceTime calls possible. 

The world is a big place...

1) There will be people that say don’t fly a plane...

2) Stay focussed...

3) Assess the work to be done... is it a small leak, or a big one?

4) How old is the existing sealant?

5) Are you looking to renew the tanks and fuel system completely...?

6) Around here you will probably get more people to show you how to do it...

7) Anyone can say don’t do it... when we’re they being helpful...? Only you can decide... :)

8)  There are a few examples of how it can be done around here...

9) Alex did the best job of taking pics and detailing the whole job...

10) Stay positive... it’s a long road ahead...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, Badmoonraising said:

Especially those who may have iPhones making FaceTime calls possible. 

Totally off topic, but a willing mentor is worth installing a video call app of their choice - there are so many...

12 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I would suggest starting with the Don Maxwell article, below.  If your sealant is less than 20 years old, you might want to start with simply patching.

http://donmaxwell.com/fuel-tank-repairs-how-we-fix-them/

From experience, his technique of coating with hand soap, pulling a vacuum with a shop vac and watching for bubbles works. 

When I went into my tanks, the area leaking the worst was where someone had done the sump valve upgrade and the sealant they used became hard and was cracking....it also had not been coated with the topcoat. If you are going to patch, I recommend applying the top coat afterwards. The rest of my tank looked pretty good.

A79B3F68-8015-4233-A122-B379FC23A0E9.jpeg

C1F039B7-9632-4C18-8D80-44846EDC0F08.jpeg

5F455A65-3B81-43DB-A5B0-AC6994999378.jpeg

Edited by PilotCoyote

I used Maxwell's method to find the leaks on my C but rather than just patch them I stripped the leaking areas before resealing them.  That has been about two years ago flying from a grass strip with no problems.  I would probably fix them again if necessary but I don't think I would want to try a complete strip and reseal.  I would probably take it to one of the professionals for that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Htwjr said:

I used Maxwell's method to find the leaks on my C but rather than just patch them I stripped the leaking areas before resealing them.  That has been about two years ago flying from a grass strip with no problems.  I would probably fix them again if necessary but I don't think I would want to try a complete strip and reseal.  I would probably take it to one of the professionals for that.  

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

THAT is great advice.  Whole-heartedly second that idea.

• Like 1

I had my tanks resealed 7 or 8 years ago and seeing what was involved I am glad I paid someone else to do it and do it right.  I had gone through 4-5 patches done by very reputable A&P's that never lasted longer than 1 or 2 flights.

El3.jpg

El7.jpg

El12.jpg

El15.jpg

My first question would be -- How big are your hands and arms?  Big people have a hard time with the little holes

How good is your back and shoulders? Bent over or sitting on the floor can you reach everything without trouble? 

One might want to jack the airplane and put it on 3 or 4 stacked 2X6s to have a good height to work form top or bottom. 

Are you ready for the smell of the huckum puckey  that is used for the sealing? It smells just like fresh dog poop only stronger!!!!    

Try doing it inside a 707 fuel tank sometime!  :-) :-) 

I had 1 leak patched, and it’s held so far. But when I had my plane stripped in order to be painted, I ended up finding a couple more leaks, either the paint was acting as a sealant or the stripping process was enough to open up new leaks, the worst was around the inspection plates. Something to think about before you decide to paint your plane. My AP said my tanks look excellent, so I just patched it.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:23 AM, PilotCoyote said:

When I went into my tanks, the area leaking the worst was where someone had done the sump valve upgrade and the sealant they used became hard and was cracking....it also had not been coated with the topcoat. If you are going to patch, I recommend applying the top coat afterwards. The rest of my tank looked pretty good.

A79B3F68-8015-4233-A122-B379FC23A0E9.jpeg

C1F039B7-9632-4C18-8D80-44846EDC0F08.jpeg

5F455A65-3B81-43DB-A5B0-AC6994999378.jpeg

That does not look like an approved sealant. I’ve seen old sealant...even OEM sealant on 40+ year old airplanes that looked significantly better.

• 2 weeks later...