Looking for anti-collision (beacon) light recommendations

9 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

IMO belly strobes have three negatives.  (1) Not seen by aircraft above you, (2) they flash on the wing which messes with peripheral night vision, and (3) they are always dirty.   For this reason, I went with Orion 650 LED wing tip nav. lights/strobes.   Solves all three problems.  I even found an original 6" dia., 5-hole Mooney cover plate on eBay to close up the hole left by removal of the belly strobe.

The downside to just Orion 650s is that you have to run the strobes at all times because they are your approved anti-collision light. That’s why I have an LED beacon. I turn the strobes off on the ground and when I’m in the clouds.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lamont337 said:

Interesting. I assumed bottom mount would nearly eliminate this. I was literally pondering moving mine to the bottom during my upcoming annual because of this:

Any flashing light will mess with your night vision. How do you get around that?

3 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

The downside to just Orion 650s is that you have to run the strobes at all times because they are your approved anti-collision light. That’s why I have an LED beacon. I turn the strobes off on the ground and when I’m in the clouds.

When I put in the Aveo Galactica wingtip lights I got from the silent auction at the Mooney Summit last year I decided to leave my belly strobe in for this exact reason. Belly strobe stays on all the time, which would also keep me from accidentally leaving the master power on. When on the ground I leave the wingtip and tail strobes off out of courtesy to fellow pilots. I turn them on before taking the runway and off when exiting. I've read from guys that fly the big iron that a belly strobe flashing off the ground makes smaller planes easier to spot in the ground airport environment. No personal experience to back that up, I've never been in the cockpit of a big plane taxiing around. 

My belly strobe switch has a placard to turn off in clouds so when I finally start working on my IFR I will turn it and the wingtip/tail strobes when in IMC. 

• Like 1