Looking for anti-collision (beacon) light recommendations

I'l try and stop by the hangar and take a picture of it tomorrow, but my white belly strobe is small but a big hitting electrical item that I'd like to pull the power back to a respectable amount and replace it with a LED unit.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have strobes on the wings as well and could get away removing the belly light but I am a fan of it. I know we have a member who sell Whelen products and there's many other good choices as well.  Anyone have a preference of red, white or red and white?  The red and white combo blows my mind....

Appreciate your feedback

I replaced my high voltage flasher with this LED. Both are by Whelen. It's been 6 or 7 years so far, works great and is blindingly bright. The old trim ring even fit onto the new one. Red on one side, white on the other--both of them.

image.thumb.jpg.6fc0051b354d24666057957e000b2fd7.jpg.53b61336e8fd258812a954cb687f45bd.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

The last one looks ok. Ask a question, if we have 180 degree on each wing, don’t we satisfy the requirement for flashing 360 degree light? Mine went bad so I pulled it off and put a patch plate one the round hole, and run the strobes full time. Maybe I should consider installing a led one.

The tall one 7 years ago wasn’t on my “approve of” list. I hate drag, but the led one more closely resembles the factory one. I remember when the mechanic put on the coffe can one, I said take it off or I’m not paying you anything (with a chuckle), he took it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

My C was easily upgraded from coffee grinder to Whelen...

Check in with @OSUAV8TER for what’s on sale...

Stand by for other options...

Best regards,

-a-

As point of clarification I don;t have a coffee grinder.  I have what appears to be a Whelen white strobe tube product with is bright but comes with a heavy amp draw.

The original ‘65 version was motorized, as the grease approached a year old, it got so sticky the motor would bind...

No noise in the headset meant the grinder needed to be lubed... :)

The lens was a heavy glass bowl.

A Whelen strobe was a brilliant upgrade.  The strobes come with a different type of noise...

LED has so many benefits... from lights that work, from all angles, in a smaller package...

Ant-collision lights have a bunch of rules depending on the year of the plane...

The Whelen website is generous with info that is easy to grasp.... covering the details...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Ant-collision lights have a bunch of rules depending on the year of the plane...

The Whelen website is generous with info that is easy to grasp.... covering the details...

If the information on the website is confusing, call Whelen with your old part number and they will tell you what your new part(s) should be.

@Brian E.

You can do the following beacons for the belly and this is assuming you have a 14V electrical system.

OR36R1W - All red LED beacon with a 3.75" base. This is an Orion 360 beacon and is the one on the right in the photo and is discounted from $617.99 to $556.19 until next Friday.

OR36S1W - Split red/white LED beacon with a 3.75" base. This is an Orion 360 beacon and is the one on the right in the photo (same light but it flashes the red/white) and is discounted from $617.99 to $556.19 until next Friday

7108055 - All red LED beacon with a 3.75" base. This is the taller one on the right in the photo and is discounted from $699.99 to $629.99 until next Friday

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html <---- Order here!

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a pic of my current strobe.  It's a Flight Strobe 440.  AS advertises it is visible for 50 miles.  Unfortunately it looks like it's drawing 8 amps (rated for 4) on the JPI and is very noisy in the intercom.

inside strobe.jpg

outside strobe.jpg

2 minutes ago, Brian E. said:

@OSUAV8TER

Do you know which of those are brighter?  I looked for specs but I couldn't find anything beyond amperage.

Also which of this would fit my inset 3.75" opening?  Would I need a trim ring adapter?

Appreciate your insight.

Easily adapted. AME made this when he installed. 

2D8BFB73-B35A-447A-AB38-D68ECB12E24F.jpeg

• Like 1

[mention=13533]OSUAV8TER[/mention]
Do you know which of those are brighter?  I looked for specs but I couldn't find anything beyond amperage.
Also which of this would fit my inset 3.75" opening?  Would I need a trim ring adapter?
Appreciate your insight.

I do not know what is brighter. They are all pretty darn bright to be honest. What’s more bright, the edge of the sun or the center? You’ll get blinded by both.

The Whelen 7108055, OR36R1W, or OR36S1W will all fit into that adapter. You remove the existing light, and this one goes right in. Less than an hour job by an A&P. These are all STC/TSO/PMA lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

[mention=16629]GLJA[/mention]  I like it--small and sexy.  That's a lot of coin though.
[mention=13533]OSUAV8TER[/mention]  Appreciate the quick response.

These lights are all discounted 10% through next Friday. My price in my online store currently reflects that deal. These are like Oshkosh prices right now.

33 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

I do not know what is brighter. They are all pretty darn bright to be honest. What’s more bright, the edge of the sun or the center? You’ll get blinded by both.

The Whelen 7108055, OR36R1W, or OR36S1W will all fit into that adapter. You remove the existing light, and this one goes right in. Less than an hour job by an A&P. These are all STC/TSO/PMA lights.

I did mine myself, my A&P looked in a couple times and tested it when I was done. I'm only a decent jackleg electrician, but this is not a hard job. Don't forget to put the shrinkwrap on the wires before connecting them . . . .

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Brian E. said:

@GLJA  I like it--small and sexy.  That's a lot of coin though.

@OSUAV8TER  Appreciate the quick response.

I know. But, the coffee grinder needed to be replaced, and any inkling of a potential speed gain to catch up to my Comanche 250 buddy works for me. 
He said the same thing about the price tag, then I asked him how much per hour is costs him to fly....... then he shut up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian E. said:

Here's a pic of my current strobe.  It's a Flight Strobe 440.  AS advertises it is visible for 50 miles.  Unfortunately it looks like it's drawing 8 amps (rated for 4) on the JPI and is very noisy in the intercom.

inside strobe.jpg

outside strobe.jpg

Is it the flight strobe 4400? That is what my coffee grinder was replaced with. It was very noisy in the intercom, but we put one of these in the avionics bay and the power to the strobe runs through it, no more sound in the intercom. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/lsStrobeNoiseEl.php?clickkey=35795