Stby Alt schematic

Does anyone have access to the wiring interface for the Ovation stby ALT wiring ? 

What is the electrical connections to switch the main ALT source to the Stby ALT connection. ? 

Is the stby ALT feeding the entire buss or is the Emergency Buss a subset that is isolated ? 

thanks in advance.

Tom,

I think we probably have covered it once before...

As the B&C alternator and going vac free has come up a few times...

The split switch for the dual alternators is a nice touch for the pair...

The second, or essential, bus may take some organizing...

How is that for some key search words to try?

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="Standby alternator "&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Is the stby ALT feeding the entire buss or is the Emergency Buss a subset that is isolated ? 

Suggestion — Try it in flight and see what is actually hooked up on the emergency buss.  

The list of powered equipment in the AFM may be incorrect if avionics upgrades have been done.  

Also if you really need electric power from the standby system you should increase engine RPM.  The standby alternator output current is maximum at highest RPM.  

• Like 1

Somebody has posted a picture of a recent two alternator / two bus panel... (Modern Mooney)

the circuit breaker layout... each bus gets a relay switch (?) (fail on)

It is pretty straight forwards in its operation...

Familiarity is key...

A small amount of stress will make decision making extra challenging in IMC with lights and annunciatorS flickering...

Copying the factory set up is probably easy and ideal...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It took me a bit to figure out how to activate the stand-by and I should probably double check the procedure.  You may have to switch off the main bus and alt 1 and then turn on the emergency bus and stand by.

When my main alternator went out, I thought my standby did too at first.  Just switching the standby on is not enough to activate it.

You can look in the Acclaim POH for the block schematic for the continental w/standby alternator.   I don't have the Ovation  maint manual, but the Bravo standby system (with AC) is the same.   It is also in the G1000 M20R AFM: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4147179/technical_documents/AFM Supplements/SUPP0001RevB.pdf  (I knew I saw it somewhere) 

1. Push “EMERG BUS” switch ON (this activates the Emergency Bus circuitry, the Standby Alternator system and initializes load shed capability).

• A. The AMBER “EMERG BUS” annunciator light illuminates.

• B. The RED “ALT VOLTS” annunciator light extinguishes.

| NOTE |
    The most efficient operating RPM is 2500 RPM or higher when operating on Standby Alternator System.

2. Pull “BATTERY” circuit breaker. This will shed load to minimum flight required systems.
    3. Check AMMETER to assure battery is not being discharged (negative ampere indication and ALT VOLTS annunciator light flashes).

The systems shown under limitations (1 through 14) above will operate (YELLOW sleeves on C/B’s or those items identified in the confines of the band marked ES- SENTIAL BUS on the Circuit Breaker Panel)

4. Terminate flight as soon as practicable.
    When approaching airport .......................................................................Battery C/B - PUSH IN

All airplane systems are now available until battery is depleted. Repair main alternator system prior to next flight.

The key item to remember is that until you pull the (70A)battery breaker, everything other than the EMER bus is still online and draining the battery.   So you disconnect the battery.. fly on the essential bus only.. and then when you get are ready for approach and landing you push the battery breaker back in and and you now have 2 full batteries available for gear, flaps etc. The stand by alternator will keep the batteries charged, and the ammeter is still in series to show charge/discharge. 

Take a look at the block schematic above... actuall planes aren't exactly like that, and you will need the maintenance manual schematics to know exactly how your year/model is wired. And how the plane is actually built can differ from that as well. 

• Like 1

so far I have found out that the Standby Alternator is connected to both the Main Bus and the Essential Bus.

The Stby Alt. should supply enough (20Amps) to power all but the highest draw items. 

You must pull the BAT breaker to isolate the Main Bus from the Essential Bus. Doing this eliminates all equipment not identified by a yellow ring. 

Now I am going to be sure these yellow rings are on the right CBs. 

thanks to all that have contributed.

A couple of things to note:

1. the RIGHT AUX on my panel is labelled OVHD AUX

2. My 29-0159 airframe has Moritz gauges, according to DOC ^^^ service manual that didn't happen till 29-0170

3. My 29-0159 does not have rudder trim.

more ...........

Rudder trim may have been part of the BK autopilot system...

Did your machine come with a KAP150?

It may also have been designated an MSE option... a complete set of Mooney upgrades of the day...

Decoded: Mooney Special Edition... :)

Best regards,

-a-