iPad Yoke Mounts

What iPad yoke mounts are y’all using? I ran a regular sized iPad with a ram mount on my warrior but with the way the Mooney is set up, the mount of the yoke is too wide and doesn’t give me full yoke forward movement. I am also having the issue where the iPad covers a lot of the lower instruments. I’m leaving the iPad on my lap for now but would like something more secure. 

thanks for feedback!

Let me help you with that, dgb...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Ipad yoke mounts&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Do you want to be more specific?

Preferred Mooney for this to be in?

What app you are going to use, when?

How about your preferred version of the iPad?

Is this your primary iPad, or second in the cockpit?

Or are you like me... here for the open conversation....?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I found the same issue when I first put in my mount.  (Sorry I don’t remember the brand off the top of my head).  I sat on the ramp for a while trying a few different positions and finally determined that the passenger side worked best.  I lost no visibility, and actually find it easier to manage without having my iPad directly in front of me.  Adding it to my scan did not take long and having ForeFlight open helps with the larger map perspective and the plates are easily readable for approaches.  

• Like 1

I had to give up my full size for a mini, and glad I did. I mount on the yoke, and at the lowest adjustment, still get a good view of both my G-5's. I think it's a ram mount, but not sure, it was given to me :) I'll check and get a picture of it with the Ipad the next time I'm at the hanger.

I've found the mini to be plenty big enough for ForeFlight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I have a home-made mount for the iPad Mini.

Can you please share the details / photo of other side?  It probably won't beat @gsxrpilot's version for simplicity, but looks interesting nevertheless.  TIA!

• Like 1

My solution so far has been to put a plug in place of the clock and I have my iPhone mounted because the standard iPad is too big. I think I cane put a mini in a larger clamp here one day as well. 

I’m thinking about using the window tube with a mount so the iPad is just below compass, but I’m afraid it will make the compass even less reliable. 

2B3C9610-BC18-4727-9144-DA732D7D379E.thumb.jpeg.c3aeae43af66f102552cc34db33da618.jpeg

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nuke,

Did you have a second attitude indicator somewhere?

Looks like the TnB went missing?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes the TnB is missing from the stock location and not having it is proving to be an issue because I don’t have a slip indicator in front of me. 

Below is what I have except now the transponder in the top right corner has a JPI-730. Note electric T&B In the old glove box space. It’s too hard to see over there and it doesn’t look like it will fit in the blank space above the pilot yoke. Yes, the attitude indicator is in a crummy spot..seems everything is.

My plan is to get my PPL with it as is. Then add an ADSB transponder at the bottom of the radio stack where a DME used to be. I think I’ll be hanging a piece of yarn from the dash for a slip indicator. I’ve already got 80hrs working on the plane which has stalled getting my training long enough. Lol
6EF56D1C-7469-449B-95D2-96116D1255F8.thumb.jpeg.85f90906c84370a265d17e43a866eb6a.jpeg

• Like 1

A second attitude display will be helpful for keeping the sunny side up when the first display fails...

extra important if Flight into IMC occurs... or darkness in some places.

As far as getting a ball... to step on.

There may be an add on devices for the existing attitude indicator...

Or one that can be mounted to the panel...

Keeping turns coordinated becomes important... now!

Every turn in the traffic pattern should be well coordinated.

Or the stall / spin probabilities increase.

learning to fly in a coordinated fashion will be helped if you have a tool to use...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

A second attitude display will be helpful for keeping the sunny side up when the first display fails...

extra important if Flight into IMC occurs... or darkness in some places.

As far as getting a ball... to step on.

There may be an add on devices for the existing attitude indicator...

Or one that can be mounted to the panel...

Keeping turns coordinated becomes important... now!

Every turn in the traffic pattern should be well coordinated.

Or the stall / spin probabilities increase.

learning to fly in a coordinated fashion will be helped if you have a tool to use...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

After doing a few stalls in this plane and seeing how it wings over in stalls dramatically I’m also convinced that being able to step on a ball to stay coordinated is quite important. 

At some point I think I’m going to add a G5 attitude indicator and in dash GPS...when I start working on IFR. I’m going to rework the whole panel at that time. 

Edited by Nukemzzz
  • Like 1

I use a regular RAM mount, however for me I feel it is better to use an iPad mini and put it on the copilot side, and tilt it a little bit into my direction. So I save the space on my side and can grip the yoke easily, while still having the iPad in a good reaching distance. I have always wondered why I don't see the copilot-side setup more often out there.

IMG_6516.png

Edited by fboegner
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fboegner said:

I feel it is better to use an iPad mini and put it on the copilot side, and tilt it a little bit into my direction. So I save the space on my side and can grip the yoke easily, while still having the iPad in a good reaching distance. I have always wondered why I don't see the copilot-side setup more often out there.

I'm in agreement.  I've used every conceivable mount for iPads both Mini's and full size. I've definitely settled on the copilot side and a iPad Pro size. This is on a fully articulating MyGoFlight mount. It can also be spun between portrait and landscape with just a finger.

IMG_2530.thumb.jpeg.30bc2670a2a611e4c3d9b0e1ae5dc1d2.jpeg

On 3/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, tmo said:

Can you please share the details / photo of other side?

My iPad mini is mounted on a salvaged cover. 

The iPad is held by the clips at the 4 edges. 

Velcro fuzz on the back of that cover is epoxied in place. 

Velcro hooks are on the center of the yoke. 

168936771_iPadMiniMountDetailYokeVelcro.thumb.jpg.ad8a29ae043517618a5788023c2b4188.jpg129583004_iPadMiniMountDetailBack.thumb.jpg.7604337cf8c4f35efc92d5148b18a7f9.jpg356086244_iPadMiniMountDetailA.thumb.jpg.c9aeb79b10ca4c75985d1963e49579a6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 8:24 PM, Niko182 said:

Scosche Magic Mount. Its 16 bucks. mounts to the yoke perfectly.

+1 - Holds my 11" iPad Pro well in portrait mode. I do have to remove the iPad from its case but that takes less than 10 seconds.

10 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

My iPad mini is mounted on a salvaged cover. 

Ah!  That is what those clip-like things are.

Me, I haven't tried an iPad yet, but a salvaged iPhone6 (I think) sits on smugly on the yoke with a little bit of that "gekko" sticky thing, $0.99 at Tesco / Target / Walmart.