How has your flying been impacted?...self sufficiency in the COVID19 era

DXB

Our E is now overdue for annual...and, unfortunately, the shop's closed.  That's the only reason we're not flying now.  I appreciate that the FAA allowed "permissive extensions" of medicals...that was a good move...but I've not seen any allowance for annuals.  If we could fly, we would - to remote, tiny airports and camping locations.  :-)

On a side note, I'm a big fan of the Low Carb MD podcast.  These doctors primarily focus on dietary and metabolic health - but in this discussion with Dr. Tim Noakes they have an interesting discussion about the current coronavirus issue, and the health factors that increase the risk, in the middle of the episode.   http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-100-dr-tim-noakes

Be well, all.

Fortunately, all viruses are different...

The ease of spreading it, makes this one... a shelter in place kind of thing...

Of course, the deadliness of it makes it all the more important to follow the guidelines...

So...it isn’t the new normal, because this virus will be taken to the cleaners by the anti-viral medications coming down the pipeline... or the anti-bodies that will be generated by the first people to get better, naturally...

The first thing we need is to spread out the curve... this allows us to have the medical equipment that is needed, to be available, when we get sick...  many people’s survival depends on this equipment availability...

Wow... that is a lot of medical equipment needed all at once... very few people could have seen that need coming...

Suddenly, the evil pharmaceutical manufacturers don’t look so evil after all....

Its a drag getting caught up in the shutdown... especially when it is premature in your area...  we have been sheltered for three weeks and there are only a handful of known infected people in my county...

Looking forward to the next steps...

What do you do when you need to go back to work... and you are in the clear because you survived the virus... you have the anti-bodies... you are no longer contagious..?

Is there a test to show you have recovered with the anti-bodies? Do you get a gold pin you can wear on your shirt? :)

Do you remember all the MMR vaccines? Kids carried a card that said they received it...

How do we start the next phase...?

Get open for business!

PP thoughts only, I had young kids once...

Best regards,

-a-

With all due respect, I'd say "preemptive" not "premature".  Compare the numbers for Italy (or Spain, or the UK, since Italy was a 'first adopter' and is entitled to its share of figuring things out) and Germany for example - and think of them as Florida and Illinois perhaps.

Also, as far as the medical equipment - a doctor pilot friend from Germany said they are cautiously optimistic - the increase in the number of patients has slowed down, they have, on average, 75% of intensive care unit beds (each with ventilator) empty.  They also have about 5 weeks of protective equipment on hand.

I dislike having to stay put as much as the next guy (or gal), especially with the weather we're having, but sometimes you got to take one for the team.  Team Humans this time around.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, tmo said:

With all due respect, I'd say "preemptive" not "premature".  Compare the numbers for Italy (or Spain, or the UK, since Italy was a 'first adopter' and is entitled to its share of figuring things out) and Germany for example - and think of them as Florida and Illinois perhaps.

Also, as far as the medical equipment - a doctor pilot friend from Germany said they are cautiously optimistic - the increase in the number of patients has slowed down, they have, on average, 75% of intensive care unit beds (each with ventilator) empty.  They also have about 5 weeks of protective equipment on hand.

I dislike having to stay put as much as the next guy (or gal), especially with the weather we're having, but sometimes you got to take one for the team.  Team Humans this time around.

If it wasn't for Sweden, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

If it wasn't for Sweden, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

Brice, National Review is hardly an unbiased, non-partisan publication.  It was created by Bill Buckley, for pete's sake.  It took me about 10 seconds to find another news story from this morning that shows a different view (and no, it's not left-leaning).

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-no-lockdown-test-thousands-deaths-expected-2020-4

2 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Brice, National Review is hardly an unbiased, non-partisan publication.  It was created by Bill Buckley, for pete's sake.  It took me about 10 seconds to find another news story from this morning that shows a different view (and no, it's not left-leaning).

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-no-lockdown-test-thousands-deaths-expected-2020-4

Business insider is as much left leaning as national review is right leaning.

Irrelevant, it should be though, right?

We'll see what happens with Sweden.  If it works, the rest of the world will look stupid, if it doesn't, Sweden will look stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, @ragedracer1977 is right.  Sweden is the "odd duck" with no forced rules about staying at home, etc.  But from what I know about Swedes and what I heard from up north, they are just self distancing in a sensible way, without "the government" setting specific rules, just because they were asked to.  I applaud them for it, and they should rightly get credit for what they accomplished within their society.

Having written that, I don't agree with the "either or" above.  I just don't believe the average bunch of Polish, UK or US people would be disciplined enough to behave as responsibly as the Swedes.  Maybe the Swiss...  No offense meant, and I do apologize for generalizing, I know assuming makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

Just now, MooneyMitch said:

The good........ have you noticed how many people are out walking their dog (s) ?  Now, if I only had one .:lol:

When this first started unfolding I was worrying that with all the social distancing that dog shelters would be absent of visitors and adoptions and that a lot of dogs would be put down during this period- and cats.

I have read that just the opposite is happening.  There is a doggy adoption shortage in many places - people are adopting pets at a much greater than usual rate since the are a) lonely and would enjoy  a fuzzy friend, b) they have the time to spend and acclimate a new pet.

So get yourself to the shelter Mitch - I bet there is a fuzzy friend there for you!

E

• Like 4

19 hours ago, eman1200 said:

such as...?

to a lesser degree, I consider my flights to the usual restaurants somewhat charitable in that I'm doing my part to try to support them.  it's not as potent as a flight carrying medical supplies etc but I get to eat and hopefully it helps keeping some local business stay afloat.

In addition to medical and other supplies, Pilots N Paws flights.  Sadly one the collateral consequences of the virus is people dumping their pets, either because of questionable fears of disease communications or basic economics of job loss.  We shut down operations at my flying club except for that and there's a member doing PnP flights.

Yeah, I can definitely come up with a rationale for a lunch flight. Don't even need to want to support anyone but myself. "Food" is one of the "essential activities" in most state orders after all.  But I'd much prefer to be like these guys.

My son and I went and took a turn around White Face mountain today - site of the 1980 Olympic downhill ski race.  Looks like there's still snow in them there hills!  Only the lifts are closed because of the pandemic.  :-(  But I just had a lovely 45 min flight with my son.

IMG_0494.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

The good........ have you noticed how many people are out walking their dog (s) ?  Now, if I only had one .:lol:

Ah, the "Tom Sawyer" thing...  Tell people they are not allowed to do something..  Reverse psychology much? ;)

Just now, tmo said:

Ah, the "Tom Sawyer" thing...  Tell people they are not allowed to do something..  Reverse psychology much? ;)

Not really. Taking a walk is a permitted activity under most of the state Orders I've seen. And if you don't have much else you can do...

We're allowed to walk to the store and such, but not take walks in a park...  Even if the closest way to the store is through the park.  I asked.  Yet we are allowed to hunt - it literally was explicitly allowed in the emergency law they passed and keep on updating.  No, I don't understand it, and neither does my dog - he keeps running into the park as he has been doing since he started going for walks.

FWIW, I hear that the French can run up their engines for 20m each month, but not fly.

When I go to the airfield, I classify it as "work".

Interesting times.

29 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

My son and I went and took a turn around White Face mountain today - site of the 1980 Olympic downhill ski race.  Looks like there's still snow in them there hills!  Only the lifts are closed because of the pandemic.  :-(  But I just had a lovely 45 min flight with my son.

IMG_0494.jpg

More good :)

• Like 1

This whole thing has gotten me bloody well depressed. Any word on how Mooney space members Hyett and Gee Bee are doing. Hope they are getting better. I feel sad for people that don't know the joy of having a dog in their life. They are so uplifting good times or bad. Do what you need to do for yourself and those closest to you. We now have two cases in Lake county some guy brought it back from another county job site and has since given it to a family member. Both are quarantined hopefully will stop there. But when they get well they will be essentially immune. I still believe herd immunity is better it could take months or even years to develop a vaccine and until they do we will still be vulnerable and all of this effort will have been for nothing if there is another spike and folks that have lost their jobs or business that will be closed for good will suffer far worse. My heart goes out to all those that have suffered loss of life but unfortunately this is what we all face all the time pandemic or not. And as I said in an earlier post I fear that the next time we have another viral surge they will shut everything down again. If this is the new normal well that just sucks. 

Grounded.  Like a couple other posters I was supposed to be in annual on 30 Mar for signoff 3 April.   Shop didn't close but they'd  had a non COVID hospital thing in the family for about a week and I decided probably not the week to go there with that exposure.

I messaged the FSDO yesterday suggesting maybe a 30 or 60 day extension limited to 100 hour since last annual or something that makes sense.  But you can guess where that went. :(

So washing, polishing, and hangar-elfing.  Big question is "when to go" for the annual?

• Like 1

Hasn’t changed much for me yet, but I did have two trips planned this summer that may get scrubbed if sanity doesn’t return. 

I’m in the camp that feels we’re using a tourniquet to the neck to stop a nosebleed. I too fear our society has been permanently damaged by accepting this approach. Anybody that doesn’t think our leaders have noticed how easy it was to control us so completely is fooling themselves. 

Edited by salty
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, bonal said:

This whole thing has gotten me bloody well depressed. Any word on how Mooney space members Hyett and Gee Bee are doing. Hope they are getting better. I feel sad for people that don't know the joy of having a dog in their life. They are so uplifting good times or bad. Do what you need to do for yourself and those closest to you. We now have two cases in Lake county some guy brought it back from another county job site and has since given it to a family member. Both are quarantined hopefully will stop there. But when they get well they will be essentially immune. I still believe herd immunity is better it could take months or even years to develop a vaccine and until they do we will still be vulnerable and all of this effort will have been for nothing if there is another spike and folks that have lost their jobs or business that will be closed for good will suffer far worse. My heart goes out to all those that have suffered loss of life but unfortunately this is what we all face all the time pandemic or not. And as I said in an earlier post I fear that the next time we have another viral surge they will shut everything down again. If this is the new normal well that just sucks. 

Dogs are loving this quarantine. Our Bella has never been so spoiled as now with walks around the neighborhood and a good rubbing of the ears and neck multiple times a day. Cats too, though they won't freely admit it.

Today I was working from home and caught myself staring at that beautiful painting of my Mooney that hangs above my desk. Thought about you @bonaland how you captured that gorgeous halfway point in the flight from Ocala to Dayton so perfectly. Yes in the midst of this zombie apocalypse I found myself smiling. Thank you. 

This pandemic is a learning opportunity for the powers that be. When the next one comes around it will be handled better, I'm certain. I had just started a new business as of March. It is all but dead and my regular business is down 60%. I have clients that might not re-open when this is over. Yes, it can be depressing but people are resilient. We will rebuild and move forward. We will have a sense of normalcy again. I once asked my grandmother what it was like living during the great depression. She thought about it for a minute and told me it wasn't so bad. She said people helped each other and family was a priority.  Community was everything back then. Fortunately we have an online community during this time of holing up. 

Hang in there bro, happy days are on the way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eight8Victor said:

Dogs are loving this quarantine. Our Bella has never been so spoiled as now with walks around the neighborhood and a good rubbing of the ears and neck multiple times a day. Cats too, though they won't freely admit it.

You bet.

right now my girl strava and I are spending some quality time watching Ford vs Ferrari.

IMG_0499.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3