ebay avionics purchase

Mark89114

Has anybody purchased anything aviation related and what was your overall experience?  

Specifically I am looking for a KI-525.  I get it, it is a crap shoot.  But don't know if it is any worse than paying way too much to have one overhauled/repaired and getting that "experience".  I had issues with my old one, they exchanged, for supposedly overhauled unit, but it is getting flaky after about 2 years, which isn't acceptable in my opinion. 

Just now, Mark89114 said:

Has anybody purchased anything aviation related and what was your overall experience?  

Specifically I am looking for a KI-525.  I get it, it is a crap shoot.  But don't know if it is any worse than paying way too much to have one overhauled/repaired and getting that "experience".  I had issues with my old one, they exchanged, for supposedly overhauled unit, but it is getting flaky after about 2 years, which isn't acceptable in my opinion. 

Just depends on the seller, I bought a KG-258 from someone who turned out to be another Mooney owner.  Despite being recently overhauled it may have got damaged in shipping so it didn't work.  He immediately refunded money and was a pleasure to deal with.

I have used eBay to pay for things I bought from somebody...then PayPal became more useable...

To skip the fear of getting stuck with something that isn’t right... it helps to visit with known sellers... somebody you know... or somebody an MSer knows...

There are MSers dealing in preowned avionics... sold at market prices... and no funky gimmicks....

Bob Bramble is well known...

@Alan Fox too...

knowing what you are buying really helps... the device being discussed is integrated with many other parts in the ship..  the 525 is the display... the gyro is a different part number...

Imagine buying a 525 on eBay to find out the gyro in the tail is asking for bearings...

The worn part is probably in the tail...

Best regards,

-a-

When I was nursing my ancient avionics suite along I bought a few things off ebay and a couple of items used elsewhere (e.g., here).   Never had any trouble, and always got usable stuff, but I was fairly careful and managed expectations.

I've had enough success with eBay that if I lose on a deal, (could happen anytime), I'm still ahead of the game. So I"ll keep playing. 

But if you buy something on eBay and get ripped off, or get a lemon, or just terrible luck. Kiss your $$$ goodby and try again. It happens so be prepared and not shocked or throw a tantrum when it happens. But like the stock market, over the long run, eBay has worked out pretty well for me.

• Like 2

I bought an Aspen ACU from an avionics dealer that was removed from an aircraft they were upgrading and it was fine.

I also bought a WX-900 Stormscope. It worked also. 

I think it's a viable option for older avionics now that a lot is being removed for upgrades.

Agree with Paul, though -- it might be a crapshoot. You're buying used stuff -- it could fail 5 hours after you install it. I just don't look for unreasonably low prices and buy from sellers with good reputations.

Skip

• Like 2

To date, I have purchased a 530W, a PMA8000BT, a 430(non-was), and recently an Aspen E2000 system that is now in line to get 1. MAX upgraded with 2 yr warranty, and 2. installed by the avionics shop. Almost got scammed once, but caught it, and didn't end up losing any money. Again, as mentioned above, you have to use a little judgement and possible some luck! Likewise I have sold some stuff on eBay as well, most recently a Garmin 480. Turned out the guy was close to me, and his wife was a little skittish, so I flew to his airport (good excuse to fly), and we made a cash deal in person!

• Like 1

I also have a ki-525 full system sitting in my Hangar.  Removed last month for G5 upgrade.  It is ~6 years old.  Never had any issues with it.  Pm me if you want to see pictures, get more details, or make an offer.  It came out of a 14V system.

The KI525 is just an indicator, displaying information from remote sources. Sometimes the needles get sticky, but that's easily repaired. The KG-102 remote gyro is the number one problem in the KCS55 compass system. Those are also easily repaired. So long as it doesn't sound like a coffee grinder now.

If you buy one on ebay, make sure the seller knows how to pack it for shipment, and the box is marked THIS SIDE UP, and FRAGILE.. They need to be in a foam lined shipping box, with the gyro in the vertical position. Three inch thick medium density foam all around. No bubble wrap!

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 1

Mark, my perfectly functioning 24V KI525 ADI/HSI system is being removed this week for a pair of GI275s in my 2000 Bravo. Happy to have the system shipping directly from the shop doing the work for whatever market price is if you wish. Shawn