Block off unused tach cable mount?

There is probably a good standard cap for that...

Normally, there isn’t much that can go in or out through there, or get stuck and twisted...

But, capping is probably a best practice...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Just now, Aerodon said:

I would say yes, aircraft spruce sell a cap for lycoming engines.

Aerodon

Sure enough.  I must have been searching the wrong term.

Secondary question.  The EI UBG16 pulled oil temp from the sump.  The factory gauge from near the filter.  Is one place better than the other? Looks like the EDM probe would fit in either location

For oil temp and pressure...

The best place to measure these is in the oil stream on its way to the working parts of the engine.... after the gear pump...

Because, those are the key locations that need to be known for the oil to be working properly...

The engine manufacturers supply the location to put the sensor... often there is a second location on the mirrored side of the engine... most have a plug there waiting for a second sensor to be installed...

Get the drawing from Lycoming or Continental... engine manuals are an interesting trove of detail...

Things to avoid...

oil coming out of the cooler... may not be very representative of oil in the working parts...

oil in the pan... is a blend of everything from cool to hot and not very meaningful until it’s very late...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Just now, carusoam said:

For oil temp and pressure...

The best place to measure these is in the oil stream on its way to the working parts of the engine.... after the gear pump...

Because, those are the key locations that need to be known for the oil to be working properly...

The engine manufacturers supply the location to put the sensor... often there is a second location on the mirrored side of the engine... most have a plug there waiting for a second sensor to be installed...

Get the drawing from Lycoming or Continental... engine manuals are an interesting trove of detail...

Things to avoid...

oil coming out of the cooler... may not be very representative of oil in the working parts...

oil in the pan... is a blend of everything from cool to hot and not very meaningful until it’s very late...

Best regards,

-a-

So the factory location is probably best?

2 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

So the factory location is probably best?

For a JPI 900 primary gauge... Absolutely!

T&P will be changing depending on the location in the engine... all the red lines and yellow arcs were all defined at the specific location of the ship’s gauge...

The POH doesn’t get that specific... they make it sound like the oil is the same temperature everywhere...

Realistically, it is screaming hot in the exhaust valve guides.... and can’t afford to hang in there very long... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Installing the EDM900.  Is it necessary to cover the hole where the mechanical tach cable was installed in the engine? 

I forgot to order the cap for the tach when I did mine. I cut a round piece of rubber that fit in the threaded attachment from the old tach cable. Worked great for a year until I got the piece from AS.

For oil temp and pressure- those need to be installed exactly the way the installation manual says in order to meet the STC to replace the factory gauges. Luckily JPI does a really nice job describing everything in the installation manual. 

• Like 1

To block off the unused tach sender port, my A&P/IA cut a circular piece of thick gasket material that fits snuggly in the bottom of the existing cap and re-installed it.   It serves to block off the small opening in the cap where the cable passed and seal the engine.

• Like 2