Tempest Oil Filter Stuck

Changing oil today and I found my Tempest filter was very stuck. I managed to wrench it off but worried about cracking the aluminum mount to the engine.  This is the first time in 30 years I have had this happen. I used to use Champion filters with a little silicone crease on the gasket. I switched to Tempest a couple of years ago but they explicitly say do not use any grease on the gasket.  It seems counter intuitive not to do this but Tempest must have a good reason. Anybody have similar experience or know why Tempest says no grease?

I've always used tempest filters with no issues, but I always wipe a film of new oil on the o ring before I install the filter.

Edit- I used to use tempest in the Skylane, I’ve been using Champion with the Mooney. Still, never had an issue getting them off and always used my finger to wipe some clean oil on before installing. Champion has not given me any problems either.

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 1

Are you sure you had one of the newer Tempest filters installed? I know, dumb and obvious question, but I buy 6 at a time and still have some of the older filters that need the lube. I tried one of the new filters two oil changes ago and it came off with no problems.

Cheers,
Rick

FWIW I've always used Tempest, but  I've found filters much harder to loosen ever since Tempest changed to a gasket that supposedly doesn't need any oil or silicone grease applied and I've followed their instruction. Curious if others have had the same experience?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DXB said:

FWIW I've always used Tempest, but  I've found filters much harder to loosen ever since Tempest changed to a gasket that supposedly doesn't need any oil or silicone grease applied and I've followed their instruction. Curious if others have had the same experience?

Me too! The old version where we added the DC4 seemed to work better.

Here’s an unscientific observation I’ve had after the last couple of filter installations I’ve made . . . Using a one of the special oil filter wrenches, it seemed to take an alarming amount of torque to get it to “click”. I even reinstalled another filter using a standard torque wrench and socket with a more satisfying feel. Perhaps the oil filter wrenches are suspect. 

I've never used an oil filter wrench on my Mooney, just a 1" combination wrench. And every oil filter I've ever changed on any engine has had a thin layer of fresh oil on the gasket. (I dip my finger in the new can / bottle and run it around.) 

The only ones that have ever been difficult to remove were on other people's engines, when I didn't know anything about how it had been installed, how long ago that was, or how the engine had been operated. 

I work for a busy flight school with 25 aircraft.  We use tempest oil filters on all of the aircraft.  I personally don't like them but the parts guy likes them because they are cheap so we use them.  When installing you must use a torque wrench.  If you don't you will be saying bad words when it comes time to change them.  It is surprising how little 18 ft lbs of torque is.  If you do it by feel you will over torque it every time.  

Mark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markgrue said:

If you do it by feel you will over torque it every time.  

I easily changed a dozen Tempest oil filters on my former M20C (and M20E before that).  Never installed with a torque wrench.  Never had a leak at filter after install.  Never a reason to use bad words when removing used filter.  I must be doing something wrong?  :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neilpilot said:

I easily changed a dozen Tempest oil filters on my former M20C (and M20E before that).  Never installed with a torque wrench.  Never had a leak at filter after install.  Never a reason to use bad words when removing used filter.  I must be doing something wrong?  :D

Perhaps I should have said I overtorque them every time.....:wacko:

I bought one of these to put the filter on and take it off. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HBDW6G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Spin on until it's snug (relative term) with my hand. Mark the top (12 o'clock position with a sharpie). Use the wrench to tighten until the mark is at the 9 o'clock position, add safety wire. Haven't had any problems with any leaks nor any issues removing the filters, even the new Tempest filters without adding any lubricant. 

I recently was using new tempest filters. Installed per the instructions with out grease or oil. 
Never again! That sucker was smoking tight! Even when torqued properly. 

I have a neat oil filter torque wrench I bought years ago that I keep calibrated.  

AND why do we still use lock wire on them!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Robinson doesn’t use lock wire. I think that’s about as critical as an oil filter install can be!

-Matt

From their website:

Spin EZ® Solid Lubricant – Tempest Spin EZ oil filter’s proprietary solid lubricant allows for easy removal of the filter. Unlike oil, grease or DC4 compound that leave the filter seemingly “bonded” to the engines mount pad, making it nearly impossible to remove, our Spin EZ solid lubricant wont extrude or squirt out from under the seal; allowing for removal without a fight.

I've been using the Tempest pre-lubed filters and haven't had too much trouble.   I use a cheapie HF torque wrench and a 1" crow's foot at 90 degrees to put it on.   When I go to take them off they're pretty snug, but not awful.   Since I started torquing them on (instead of snug plus some amount of turn), I need the 1" box end wrench to get them off, but they come right off with that.

Response from Tempest

Thanks for the e-mail.  I apologize that you‘ve had an issue with removing a Tempest oil filter.  We take great pride in manufacturing the highest quality products in the aviation industry and when those products don’t meet our customers’ expectations we take that very seriously. 

To provide you a little background on the Spin EZ™ oil filters, they were originally a request of Continental Motors. Continental had seen over the years that oil filters in general were getting stuck from time to time when using DC-4 or oil as a gasket lubricant and asked us if we could come up with a better option.  After going through many months of R&D we introduced the Spin-EZ oil filter which has a patented lubricant applied to the oil filter gasket during the manufacturing process.  This lubricant should allow you to install the filter dry and remove with the same amount of ease or better. 

A couple of things I’ve noticed since the introduction of the Spin EZ filters, is that if they are installed without the mounting pad being completely dry it can cause the filter to stick upon removal.  The second being that if you install the filter using DC-4 or oil it will nullify the benefits of our lubricant and could possibly cause the filter to stick.  I’m not sure either of these would pertain to your situation, but I definitely want to help you solve the problem.  

If you would please send me the P/N and lot number on the filter.  The lot number is located on the bottom of the filter around the seam roll.  Once I have this information I can determine when the filter was manufactured  and continue to help from there.  Lastly can you provide me with your phone number. Sometimes I find it more helpful to discuss over the phone vs. e-mail.

Thank you for your continued support.  I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Vince Bechtel

Director, Aftermarket Sales

Tempest Aero Group, LLC

2801 Wade Hampton Blvd. PMB-122

Taylors, SC 29687

Cell: 843-991-1199

vince@tempestaero.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1