LASAR Electronic Ignition thoughts

I am looking for thoughts on this ignition system.  My Mooney has an early version of the LASAR electronic ignition installed.  It has come time for the Mag inspection.  My particular version of the LASAR ignition has circuit boards in each of the two mags and the condenser is located on a box mounted on the firewall long with other controlling electronics.   The plane is down for it's annual right now and I had asked the mechanic to inspect and repair as necessary the mags.  His recommendation is to replace the LASAR ignition with standard Slick magnetos.  The point he made was this is an older version of the LASAR ignition system and relatively speaking hard to keep running correctly.   

I have never had any issues with the LASAR ignition, but I have read other stories where folks have had lots of issues.  The only related issue perhaps that I have is hight CHT's which some say can be attributed to the electronic ignition.  Anyone with experience with this system?

I had a LASAR ignition installed on my Mooney M20C for several years. It was love while it lasted. Starting the plane was always easy and it ran great. CHTs had to be managed, but it was never a factor.

But then after about 8 years the controller started to act up. It intermittently failed and I found myself flying with the backup magnetos. I tried to get Champion to support the unit and I was basically told that I would be better off replacing the system with magnetos.

I did it, but I really missed the smooth ride and the performance LASAR had given me. Finally this year I replaced one magneto with the Electroair system and I am getting the same performance I got from the LASAR system in the past.

So, consider replacing the LASAR with the Electroair would be my suggestion.

Óscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Very interesting.  What advantages or disadvantages in performance true you notice that you speak of. 

Lower fuel consumption, EGTs and CHTs smaller spreads, easier start and better performance above 6000 feet. (It seems to me at least that I get better power).

Disadvantage, slightly higher CHTs on take off, but you have to manage them and it is fine.

I put a Surefly on the left and it’s real nice.  Starts really easy, runs smooth, lasts until tbo.  I haven’t noticed increased chts, however the advance doesn’t start to phase in until you’re below about 25” map. Unfortunately they don’t publish the advance curve anymore.

I think the Surefly is about the same cost as a mag and it doesn’t need maintenance.  Install is basically the same as a mag.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to remove the LASAR and most likely go back to standard magnetos. But, I will take a look at Surefly for one. 

This may help you make a decision:

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/uncategorized/surefly-sim-ignition-maintenance-free/

I went to a Champion ignition session with the factory reps recently. They mentioned the Laser system. Their advice is "If they are working OK leave them alone. If they aren't working OK then replace them with Slick Mags". 

Is there an ICA to inspect them? What is the inspection procedure?

On 3/29/2020 at 6:45 AM, amillet said:

My Slick mags have 440 hours since new.  I just ordered a Surefly for the left side and new Slick for the right, to be installed in April at annual.

Alan,

I think you'll love Surefly. I have it only for few months and starts are easy. My IO360 always ran fine LOP and with very tight GAMI spread so I can't really say it's a huge improvement. Install was straightforward but it wouldn't got to it's place through the same space as magneto. We had to remove some vacuum lines in the C/L and come from that side.

I would recommend Surefly to everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@MarkC

Hope 27N is treating you well. I was a partner in this airplane about 15 years ago. What I always remember about the LASAR ignition is that no one had any idea how to work on it. My current M20C is a 74 model with a 201 cowl and slick mags. I can promise you I have way more CHT issues than 27N ever did. If the parts are still available I'd be inclined to keep it. But the hassle of maintaining an old system may not be worth it. 

Good luck, would love to see 27N again sometime.

Hi John,

Thanks for checking in.  I elected to just replace the LASAR with two new Slick magnetos.  The feedback I kept getting from the mechanic was scarcity of parts and difficulty to maintain.  I am still waiting on the mechanic to complete the work, but I hope to have it done soon.  I hope that the regular mags helps the CHT issue a bit.  There is another thread on M20C CHT's that is very active right now and makes for some really interesting reading.  

I have made a few changes to 27N since you last saw her.  I have updated some of the avionics and re-done the interior.  I will send you some pictures.

Mark

• Like 1