It’s finally time (cowling)

Sabremech

On 8/21/2020 at 10:18 AM, Ghostrider said:

Alex.  My C model is a 68 and the 1968 and beyond had fixed cowl flaps.. Problem is they are not fixed wide open they try for a happy medium... With this new Cowl i am thinking we will have better cooling anyway and thus being able to fully close them might make a speed difference and might be needed to keep temps up high enough in cruise to prevent valve stem lead deposits... Right now as it is.. That is NOT a concern... lol  I run plenty hot enough to prevent them 

I know exactly what you mean. I fly a Cessna for work that gets an astounding 350*F in climb...and 290*F CHT in cruise and EGTs in 900-1100 range! At first I was jealous- but every morning it gets the dreaded Lycoming morning sickness! No matter what mixture setting I run, she just doesnt heat up at 65% power. My Mooney, never had a fouled plug or stuck valve with 380*F CHTs and 1300*F EGTs

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

@Sabremech  hey David, any update on your cowl project?   Merry Christmas!

Hi Browncbr1,

I’ll say life has gotten in the way a bit along with Covid causing huge problems with progress in the shop. I recently sold my airplane which took quite a bit of time to get it ready for the new owner.

I think I posted that I had a fit issue between the top and bottom cowling at the cylinder cooling inlets. My gut tells me a new upper cowling mold is going to have to be made to correct the issue. I will be back on it and more focused after the holidays. I want to see this finished in 2021.

Merry Christmas to you and all Mooniacs! 

Thank you,

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 4

Hi Browncbr1,
I’ll say life has gotten in the way a bit along with Covid causing huge problems with progress in the shop. I recently sold my airplane which took quite a bit of time to get it ready for the new owner.
I think I posted that I had a fit issue between the top and bottom cowling at the cylinder cooling inlets. My gut tells me a new upper cowling mold is going to have to be made to correct the issue. I will be back on it and more focused after the holidays. I want to see this finished in 2021.
Merry Christmas to you and all Mooniacs! 
Thank you,
David

Thanks for the update David. Hope this pull together for you on this project. Still waiting on the sidelines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, danad said:

@Sabremech How is the project progressing? Its always cool to hear about projects as they take shape.

Hi danad, progress is quite slow right now. Personnel issues at the shop have it on hold for a bit. I hope to see progress next month when they have an experienced mold maker back on staff. 
Thanks,

David

David,

See if these guys are nearby...

They have a YT video of all the skills they have used while building their entire plane...

This happens to be about building the mold for their composite spinner...

They probably have one for building the mold for their cowl...

Three brothers, engineers, decade in aviation industry... prior to starting this project...

They have requested other similar projects to help fund what they are doing, with the equipment they have...

Plus it’s interesting to watch... :)

-a-

• 8 months later...
On 12/25/2020 at 2:07 PM, Marauder said:

Thanks for the update David. Hope this pull together for you on this project. Still waiting on the sidelines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Marauder,

You are definitely first to get this cowling when the kinks are worked out. I can’t thank you enough for your patience.

David

• Like 1

• 1 year later...