It’s finally time (cowling)

Sabremech

It’s finally time to fit the cowling to my bird. It’s been far too long to get to this point, but it’s finally happening. It’s much more carbon fiber than I first thought it would be and super light compared to the original. Time to see if it fits correctly. 
David

DC90268E-9110-497B-A9F7-9E5D4B14F085.jpeg

3D3D3EF2-6571-4E60-B22D-6F7CC9692B9E.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Captnmack said:

Looks great but I’m a little confused...Is this different than then cowling that is being installed by the outfit in N. Carolina?

This is the cowling that I hope to have AGL Aviation as an installer. It’s been delayed in production for various reasons but is now ready for the first one to go on my 66 C model to check for fit. Thanks,

David

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Sure, sure. We've heard this before. 

:):)

good luck. 

I know! It’s been killing me to keep waiting. It was painful being patient with my composite shop. They are extremely busy and good people are hard to find and keep. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Captnmack said:

But what is the difference in this cowling and the one that Bob put on his?

Bob’s original cowling was just modified. I changed the front 4 inches of the top cowl and the skin on the bottom cowl. This is a complete new cowling. Has a nicer look and fits many more airplanes than my first mod and  It’s quite a bit lighter than the original.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Bob’s original cowling was just modified. I changed the front 4 inches of the top cowl and the skin on the bottom cowl. This is a complete new cowling. Has a nicer look and fits many more airplanes than my first mod and  It’s quite a bit lighter than the original.

Please tell me a J is included in that statement!

19 hours ago, Sabremech said:

What's your seat of the pants guess in cruise speeds vs the 201 cowl?

35 minutes ago, rbridges said:

What's your seat of the pants guess in cruise speeds vs the 201 cowl?

I don’t want to get caught in the speed gain promise. Some airplanes will gain speed, most likely those that change from a stock cowling to the more aerodynamic cowling and some will not gain any. No rhyme or reason, just what I learned on the four airplanes I modified with my first cowling mod. Two airplanes gained speed while the other two did not. 
Thanks,

David

41 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I don’t want to get caught in the speed gain promise. Some airplanes will gain speed, most likely those that change from a stock cowling to the more aerodynamic cowling and some will not gain any. No rhyme or reason, just what I learned on the four airplanes I modified with my first cowling mod. Two airplanes gained speed while the other two did not. 
Thanks,

David

I get it.  Just eyeballing pictures, your new cowl looks to be a huge improvement vs. stock.  

On 3/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Sabremech said:

It’s finally time to fit the cowling to my bird. It’s been far too long to get to this point, but it’s finally happening. It’s much more carbon fiber than I first thought it would be and super light compared to the original. Time to see if it fits correctly. 
David

DC90268E-9110-497B-A9F7-9E5D4B14F085.jpeg

3D3D3EF2-6571-4E60-B22D-6F7CC9692B9E.jpeg

I have a 74E just in case you need another test mule