A day in the Life...

donkaye

My airplane had been stuck in Stockton for the past 3 weeks.  I had taken it over there to get my prop deice fixed.  It was completed a day after the "social distancing" went into effect.  It didn't occur to me until a couple of days ago that there was a way to get it back without the need of another person helping me to get over there.

I called Atlantic at San Jose International where my airplane is based and asked them if they could get me a car for a one way trip.  After talking with Hertz they confirmed, yes.  So, for $58 I could drive over and leave the car at Atlantic in Stockton.

So armed with a large can of Lysol Spray, Clorox antiseptic wipes, CVS wipes I had bought before they were impossible to get, and several pair of 5 mil Nitrile gloves from a stash I had bought before all this happened, I drove down to the airport yesterday to pick up the car.  I put on the gloves and pickup up the keys.  I opened the car and spayed it down with the Lysol Spray and wiped the dash and steering wheel with a Clorox wipe.  I still was a little uncomfortable driving the hour and a quarter (usually an hour and forty five minutes, but with no traffic...) to Stockton because I didn't have a mask (impossible to get now).

My thought process in doing all of this was that I would only have to interact with 2 people, the Hertz person and the Atlantic person in Stockton when I dropped off the keys.  I had already asked Mark at Top Gun to leave the plane outside with the keys and logbook entry.

So far so good.  I dropped off the keys and walked over to Top Gun where the plane was outside as planned.  I did the preflight and opened the door.  I sprayed the Lysol over the cockpit, wiped down the glare shield and yokes with the Clorox wipe, and kept the gloves on.  

I started up and taxied for takeoff.  I planned on stopping at Byron, C83,  for "cheap" fuel.  I was cleared for takeoff,  and as I started rolling I noticed a crackling sound over my headset but discounted it as a battery issue.  However, as I gained speed, I noticed the AOA did not light up as expected.  I aborted the takeoff, knowing from a previous experience that the AOA connector was probably not hooked up.  So much for my planned 2 person interaction.  At least this issue would be dealt with outside.

As I walked down the wing walk, I was shocked to notice that the baggage door latch was in the open position.  That was the takeoff noise.  I profusely thanked the mechanic for forgetting to hook up the AOA.  In the past I always check the baggage door before getting into the plane.  I also do a quick look over my shoulder before taking off.  During the heat of this battle I didn't, and it almost bit me in the a..  Extra care in these times needs be exercised when other things may be on your mind.

Other than a bumpy flight over to C83 and winds on landing at 14G24, the flight was uneventful.  The gloves were unnatural to me but all the avionics worked with them on.  I've not worn gloves pumping fuel in the past, but will in the future.

After topping off, it was off again to KSJC.  I pickup up flight following on the way back.  I've never heard 125.35, one of the major frequencies into the Bay Area, so quiet.  I almost asked for a radio check, but as I was about to key the mic, the controller came on and handed me off to the next frequency.  San Jose Tower was next.

On downwind I saw only a couple of Southwest planes at the terminal.  Many times on landing when I ask for a back taxi on the runway if traffic permits, it doesn't.  No problem this time.  For the time I was at the airport no other planes either landed or took off.  Really unusual for San Jose.

So the plane is back home in its hangar, and I'm back home to continue our indefinite Shelter in Place.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

My airplane had been stuck in Stockton for the past 3 weeks.  I had taken it over there to get my prop deice fixed.  It was completed a day after the "social distancing" went into effect.  It didn't occur to me until a couple of days ago that there was a way to get it back without the need of another person helping me to get over there.

I called Atlantic at San Jose International where my airplane is based and asked them if they could get me a car for a one way trip.  After talking with Hertz they confirmed, yes.  So, for $58 I could drive over and leave the car at Atlantic in Stockton.

So armed with a large can of Lysol Spray, Clorox antiseptic wipes, CVS wipes I had bought before they were impossible to get, and several pair of 5 mil Nitrile gloves from a stash I had bought before all this happened, I drove down to the airport yesterday to pick up the car.  I put on the gloves and pickup up the keys.  I opened the car and spayed it down with the Lysol Spray and wiped the dash and steering wheel with a Clorox wipe.  I still was a little uncomfortable driving the hour and a quarter (usually an hour and forty five minutes, but with no traffic...) to Stockton because I didn't have a mask (impossible to get now).

My thought process in doing all of this was that I would only have to interact with 2 people, the Hertz person and the Atlantic person in Stockton when I dropped off the keys.  I had already asked Mark at Top Gun to leave the plane outside with the keys and logbook entry.

So far so good.  I dropped off the keys and walked over to Top Gun where the plane was outside as planned.  I did the preflight and opened the door.  I sprayed the Lysol over the cockpit, wiped down the glare shield and yokes with the Clorox wipe, and kept the gloves on.  

I started up and taxied for takeoff.  I planned on stopping at Byron, C83,  for "cheap" fuel.  I was cleared for takeoff,  and as I started rolling I noticed a crackling sound over my headset but discounted it as a battery issue.  However, as I gained speed, I noticed the AOA did not light up as expected.  I aborted the takeoff, knowing from a previous experience that the AOA connector was probably not hooked up.  So much for my planned 2 person interaction.  At least this issue would be dealt with outside.

As I walked down the wing walk, I was shocked to notice that the baggage door latch was in the open position.  That was the takeoff noise.  I profusely thanked the mechanic for forgetting to hook up the AOA.  In the past I always check the baggage door before getting into the plane.  I also do a quick look over my shoulder before taking off.  During the heat of this battle I didn't, and it almost bit me in the a..  Extra care in these times needs be exercised when other things may be on your mind.

Other than a bumpy flight over to C83 and winds on landing at 14G24, the flight was uneventful.  The gloves were unnatural to me but all the avionics worked with them on.  I've not worn gloves pumping fuel in the past, but will in the future.

After topping off, it was off again to KSJC.  I pickup up flight following on the way back.  I've never heard 125.35, one of the major frequencies into the Bay Area, so quiet.  I almost asked for a radio check, but as I was about to key the mic, the controller came on and handed me off to the next frequency.  San Jose Tower was next.

On downwind I saw only a couple of Southwest planes at the terminal.  Many times on landing when I ask for a back taxi on the runway if traffic permits, it doesn't.  No problem this time.  For the time I was at the airport no other planes either landed or took off.  Really unusual for San Jose.

So the plane is back home in its hangar, and I'm back home to continue our indefinite Shelter in Place.

Glad you got your bird home!

It has occurred to me that it could well be that this situation may well force a grounding of a plane for all sorts of reasons that could arise.  Perhaps what almost happened to you?  Or perhaps a repair becomes needed but there may not be a mechanic available for various reasons such as they are otherwise engaged, laid off, sick, or quarantined?  So in such a case it occurs to me if this might be forced for an unknown length of time, maybe pickling the engine would be the thing to do?  Meanwhile we need to keep our birds flying and at the ready since they are a useful tool just in case, but a beautiful distraction if nothing else.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Between @Denver98 and I, we're keeping the oil flowing through 252AD. Scott and his wife made a pup run to DRO and back today. And we're on the list to fly medical supplies out to rural hospitals whenever needed.

We did!  Two legs and two dogs.  

This is Chester, he was rescued from an Indian reservation and is headed to a rescue here near Denver.  Chester had been very badly mistreated, it was just so sad but the woman from the rescue here is Denver was just awesome.  Hopefully, Chester’s days will get much better, soon.  The flights are both rewarding and heartbreaking at the same time.  We’ve now brought 7 dogs to the Denver area and 2 have been very badly mistreated.  Nothing is better than a loving dog, we do these flights with the hope that these dogs find the life they all deserve.  

During these very uncertain times, there is no better way to social distance from Humans than to use your airplane to rescue at dog.  Or, like @gsxrpilot, sign up to fly supplies.  Remember, the say at home orders don’t apply to these flights.

29B16CDE-E21F-455C-B09F-18831DEC1CBE.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Between @Denver98 and I, we're keeping the oil flowing through 252AD. Scott and his wife made a pup run to DRO and back today. And we're on the list to fly medical supplies out to rural hospitals whenever needed.

Where do you find information to fly medical supplies?