TKS filler neck issue . m20m

pkofman

I went to fill up my tks today , I have never done that on my own before I always had a shop fill it. , dead simple, but I had a hard time getting the cap off. Looks like someone stripped the screw on cap. its the filler piece from the plane not the cap which seems to be the issue

Has anyone ever replaced that part before. I feel an expensive repair coming my way on what is a really basic plastic part.

Peter

Find the TKS guy for parts...

Pay retail this way, instead of paying 2X retail...

Got a pic of the part that may be broken, or is the broken part, a part of the installed system?

Part numbers are really helpful... when searching used on the internet...

PP thoughts as usual... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Find the TKS guy for parts...

Pay retail this way, instead of paying 2X retail...

Got a pic of the part that may be broken, or is the broken part, a part of the installed system?

Part numbers are really helpful... when searching used on the internet...

PP thoughts as usual... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

the thing I dont know is , is there a simple part replacement or an entire assembly?

ill reach out to tks and ask and report back

Edited by pkofman
sp

Take pics of both parts...

to see which threads got wrecked...

It might be possible to fix one set, or the other...

Plastic threads are easily damaged to make them hard to use...

Filing out the damaged part may allow them to still be used AND still work properly...

Send the pics to TKS, and share here as well...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

There is no need to over tighten the cap, it is a venting cap anyway.

I looked both at the CAV ice systems parts list and the Mooney parts list and they only list the whole assembly p/n 4665

I would call Jason Jennings at CAV ice systems 913 738 5397, that is his direct dial and see what can be done. He is very helpful.

• Like 1

I thought the same for mine, but it jut fits very tight and seems the tks residue on the threads make it pretty stiff. I clean the threads every time I fill and seems to not get worse at least. 

but, yeah, no need to over tighten as it is not air tight, just keeps debris out. 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, GeeBee said:

I looked both at the CAV ice systems parts list and the Mooney parts list and they only list the whole assembly p/n 4665

I would call Jason Jennings at CAV ice systems 913 738 5397, that is his direct dial and see what can be done. He is very helpful.

Seconded. 

On 3/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, GeeBee said:

Agreed, but don't "under-tighten" it.  I had mine loose with the tank full to the top.  The filler isn't much higher than the top of the tank, and the combination of pitch angle and the awesome acceleration of the 310HP acclaim made quite a mess in the avionics bay.  The fill neck isn't much higher than the top of the tank.  The vented cap has a "flapper" type valve on it which prevents fluid from escaping, but if the dummy in the left seat fails to tighten the cap. it can make a mess.  And a little goes a long way with TKS fluid.

=dan

6 hours ago, CAV Ice said:

@pkofman contact me at 913-738-5397, or j.jennings@cav-systems.com  

Hey just for everyones info , I spoke to cav ice. @CAV Ice today. Very helpful

He mentioned that the part i am looking for is a replacement filler neck and cap. Unbelievably the part is not very expensive...... but if you have to replace the entire door it is very $$... so anyone with tks  be gentle when removing the cap , you dont want to have to replace the entire assemly. Thank you all . Ill let you know how the replacement installation works out.. m20m...!