SCS Carpets

Just curious for those that have purchased the precut carpets for an M20F... How easy was the install, any tips and or tricks and did the Velcro provided work well to secure it or did you use something else. Also is it worth purchasing the insulation?????

I installed the thinner/lighter style  carpet from SCS and the install process is fairly easy.  All the pieces are pre cut and fit well in our 67E.  The velco install system works pretty well. I also got the foam backing and would suggest backing with something because the carpet is really thin and the foam definitely helps with sound.  Better than custom wool? No, but looks ok and I will say holds up ok, but would probably go with the thicker option if I did it again.

I did my carpets using SCS interiors few years ago. I highly recommend them. I managed to mess up a piece and they actually stopped the normal production run to make the piece I messed quickly.

I used snaps held by small bolts requiring drilling floor from underneath... this technique was provided by a MS member here Byron (jetdriven). This allows removing carpets easily for annual inspection. 

Yves

I suppose the Velcro would work for a while but my biggest fear was if the Carpet got jam in the flight controls mainly the rudder.

Since previous owner had screwed them to floor board  and used sheet metal screws.So when I re did the carpet . I went with  SCS carpets. I nut plated the holes in the floor boards  and used machine screws.

With the carpets fasten to the floor board I have had  no problems with carpet interfering with the flight controls or bunching up.

James '67C

The chances of carpet causing a problem with the flight controls is probably really small...

But...

If you get distracted by them bunching up or getting out of place... that might be worse than the actual problem... :)

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, LOCOLJ said:

I installed the thinner/lighter style  carpet from SCS and the install process is fairly easy.  All the pieces are pre cut and fit well in our 67E.  The velco install system works pretty well. I also got the foam backing and would suggest backing with something because the carpet is really thin and the foam definitely helps with sound.  Better than custom wool? No, but looks ok and I will say holds up ok, but would probably go with the thicker option if I did it again.

How does the velcro attach with the foam backing?

Skip

1 hour ago, Tahir K said:

This might be a dumb question but what's stopping us from getting some sort of fire proof carpet/material and cutting it out to our proper measurements and doing all that ourselves? 

Not a dumb question. Answer: Nothing.  We bought a carpet set from Airtex. It’s just carpet with the proper certs, but having it precut and finished saved a lot of time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tahir K said:

This might be a dumb question but what's stopping us from getting some sort of fire proof carpet/material and cutting it out to our proper measurements and doing all that ourselves? 

That is EXACTLY what I'm going to do...especially after looking at SCS pricing...YOWZER!

There's got to be all of $50 of carpet from the local auto upholstery shop being used.  I'm not afraid of cutting carpet to size using the old ones as templates.

Just now, MikeOH said:

That is EXACTLY what I'm going to do...especially after looking at SCS pricing...YOWZER!

There's got to be all of $50 of carpet from the local auto upholstery shop being used.  I'm not afraid of cutting carpet to size using the old ones as templates.

This is what i'm planning on doing with the carpet and interior lining. Let me know what material you find if you get it online. I'm looking at available wool options. Definitely seems a LOT cheaper. Do you plan on adding some fire proof insulation underneath as well? I feel like that would help with the noise in the airplane. 

Just now, Tahir K said:

This is what i'm planning on doing with the carpet and interior lining. Let me know what material you find if you get it online. I'm looking at available wool options. Definitely seems a LOT cheaper. Do you plan on adding some fire proof insulation underneath as well? I feel like that would help with the noise in the airplane. 

I'm planning on wool as well. I already have some kind of foil backed fire insulation under the carpet that is still in good shape; I'm going to leave it.  I'm going to try going to a local auto upholstery shop and seeing how much to cut for me. If too pricy, I'll just buy the material from them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I'm planning on wool as well. I already have some kind of foil backed fire insulation under the carpet that is still in good shape; I'm going to leave it.  I'm going to try going to a local auto upholstery shop and seeing how much to cut for me. If too pricy, I'll just buy the material from them.

Let me know what you come up with. Good luck!

See if this makes sense...

1) SCS is the higher quality, better fit and materials solution... great for a well cared for forever-plane...

2) Airtex is fantastic for that first time Mooney owner, need to replace the original, now kinda thing... Proper certs and everything... Holy cow improvement over the 1965 original light weight fabric over cardboard....

3) Lower cost than airtex, takes on more responsibility, and a surprising amount of time...

4) While you are doing your carpet details... you suddenly realize how important the flame resistance stuff is... but you see it against where fuel is leaking from old seals related to the fuel system... the blue stains under your kids feet need to be taken care of quickly...  :)

Start simply, and build up your skills... if it turns into a forever plane... you chose well...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Just now, carusoam said:

See if this makes sense...

1) SCS is the higher quality, better fit and materials solution... great for a well cared for forever-plane...

2) Airtex is fantastic for that first time Mooney owner, need to replace the original, now kinda thing... Proper certs and everything... Holy cow improvement over the 1965 original light weight fabric over cardboard....

3) Lower cost than airtex, takes on more responsibility, and a surprising amount of time...

4) While you are doing your carpet details... you suddenly realize how important the flame resistance stuff is... but you see it against where fuel is leaking from old seals related to the fuel system... the blue stains under your kids feet need to be taken care of quickly...  :)

Start simply, and build up your skills... if it turns into a forever plane... you chose well...

Best regards,

-a-

Love the insight. Thanks :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tahir K said:

See if you can find someone to bind the edges. Or it will unravel fairly quickly, and you won't have decent templates for a good replacement. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PT20J said:

How does the velcro attach with the foam backing?

Skip

Adhesive backed Velcro tape attaches the foam to the floor.  The foam was the insulation type with an adhesive side on it, I believe that I had to cut them to size but it has been a while since it was done.  A coupe of years of use, and they have not come loose. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Not cheap, but man did it go a long way to clean up the look of the lower half.

Carpet_L.jpg

Carpet_Rear.jpg

Carpet_R.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 7:50 PM, MikeOH said:

It was all of 100$ carpet when I did mine! Ordered a roll of certified carpet and used old pieces as templates. What I liked about that is the control I had in cutting the pieces. The old pieces were too small for my liking. Meaning too much space around the perimeter. I cut the new ones a little larger. Not much maybe a half inch or so but makes a huge improvement in how it looks and stays down. You have to account for serging or binding because it adds about 1/4 or 3/8”. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you go to a local auto shop for your materials make sure you read AC 43.13-1B "Section 4.  Cabin Interior"   Paragraphs 9-60 thru  9-64

As  a CAR3 airplane we don't need to meet Pt 23 Burn Certificate requirements BUT we do need to show compliance by referencing the material manufacturers compliance with some national standard for either flash or flame resistance (part 91 operations only).  

And the carpet installation has to be signed off in the log book by someone. 

Edited by cliffy
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PTK said:

It was all of 100$ carpet when I did mine! Ordered a roll of certified carpet and used old pieces as templates. What I liked about that is the control I had in cutting the pieces. The old pieces were too small for my liking. Meaning too much space around the perimeter. I cut the new ones a little larger. Not much maybe a half inch or so but makes a huge improvement in how it looks and stays down. You have to account for serging or binding because it adds about 1/4 or 3/8”. 

Would you be able to post the link to where you purchased the carpet? Were you satisfied with the qaulity, look, and color?