KI229 RMI & Aspen

Airways

“ The EFD1000 E5 Flight Display will replace the existing Directional Gyro or HSI in the panel. If another device is “bootstrapped” from the compass then it will need to be determined whether RS-232 or LS ARINC 429 heading is accepted by this device and rewired appropriately. If the other device only accepts ARINC 407 synchro heading or HS ARINC 429 then an ACU2 will be required.”

Does anybody know if a KI229 can be “bootstrapped” to an Aspen E5 ? I’m not familiar with these communication protocols.

The 229 gets its directional info from the BK HSI. I’m hoping it will accept magnetic hdg from the Aspen as well…

6 minutes ago, Airways said:

“ The EFD1000 E5 Flight Display will replace the existing Directional Gyro or HSI in the panel. If another device is “bootstrapped” from the compass then it will need to be determined whether RS-232 or LS ARINC 429 heading is accepted by this device and rewired appropriately. If the other device only accepts ARINC 407 synchro heading or HS ARINC 429 then an ACU2 will be required.”

Does anybody know if a KI229 can be “bootstrapped” to an Aspen E5 ? I’m not familiar with these communication protocols.

The 229 gets its directional info from the BK HSI. I’m hoping it will accept magnetic hdg from the Aspen as well…

I can't answer your specific question. But keeping the KI-229 makes no sense since the Aspen HSI includes dual bearing pointers. That's where the functionality is most useful, where you can see the bearing pointer(s) with your HSI in the same spot.

I gather you're new to glass. I'd encourage you to read the pilots guide to learn more about all the functionality but if I was in your shoes I'd be pulling the KI229 unit since you won't need it with the Aspen.

45 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I'd be pulling the KI229 unit since you won't need it with the Aspen.

That’s not an option with the E5. It has no pointers. You’d need the Pro version to have that. Additionally, I’d need an ACU 2 to be able to display the ADF (it is still a thing in Europe) and that’s too much money for too little usefullness.  Budgetwise, the KI229 makes sense.

1 hour ago, Airways said:

That’s not an option with the E5. It has no pointers. You’d need the Pro version to have that. Additionally, I’d need an ACU 2 to be able to display the ADF (it is still a thing in Europe) and that’s too much money for too little usefullness.  Budgetwise, the KI229 makes sense.

I suspect you're gonna need an ACU 2 either way. The RMI only takes analog inputs and the only way to get analog out of an Aspen is an ACU. It appears the RMI uses ARINC 407. Obviously the other option would be an un-slaved ADF head.

• Like 1

If the E5 doesn’t pan out, have you considered a pair of Garmin G5's? Supports dual bearing pointers for about same cost and should also support any of the K autopilots with the GAD29b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Airways said:

Yes I’ve played the whole E5/G5 story a thousand times in my head. I tend to lean towards Aspen because I like their approach more. Things like a separate button for HDG and TRK... 

And you're not going to get a G5 to display an ADF pointer unless it's a 'fake' GPS derived ADF. No analog inputs at all on the G5.

17 hours ago, kortopates said:

pair of Garmin G5's? Supports dual bearing pointers for about same cost and should also support any of the K autopilots with the GAD29b

The G5 will only provide the HSI (heading) part for the usual APs in the M20K, they will not provide attitude; you need a GI275 or G500 for that.  I believe the E5 will emulate the KI256 attitude source, as well as heading, although it will likely require the EA100.