Compression Tools - Michigan

lamont337

Before I go through the trouble of making my own out of square tube I figured I'd ask:

Does anyone near southeast Michigan have shock disk compression tool/tools for rent or borrow? I'm willing to pick up and promise to return promptly.

8 minutes ago, lamont337 said:

Before I go through the trouble of making my own out of square tube I figured I'd ask:

Does anyone near southeast Michigan have shock disk compression tool/tools for rent or borrow? I'm willing to pick up and promise to return promptly.

My experience...... you don’t need tool for the mains.  All can be accomplished by using aircraft weight for compressing new discs in order to align and re-install top bolt on stack.   

I will second what Mitch said, I did exactly that with my M20C main gear and will be doing it again with a friends' when this Covid crap is done.

The nose gear is a little harder, but since you have a 1962, you probably still have the shock absorber mount eyes on your nose gear.  Some people have made a device using threaded rod and a turnbuckle (like used on a heavy fence gate) to compress the nose gear disks. I’m not sure how effective that is.

Can anyone here comment on the turnbuckle idea for compressing the nose gear discs?

1 minute ago, Andy95W said:

I will second what Mitch said, I did exactly that with my M20C main gear and will be doing it again with a friends' when this Covid crap is done.

The nose gear is a little harder, but since you have a 1962, you probably still have the shock absorber mount eyes on your nose gear.  Some people have made a device using threaded rod and a turnbuckle (like used on a heavy fence gate) to compress the nose gear disks. I’m not sure how effective that is.

Can anyone here comment on the turnbuckle idea for compressing the nose gear discs?

I believe we had a big thread on nose disc compression alternatives awhile back.  

Maybe someone can discover that.  I’ll look too .

1 minute ago, MooneyMitch said:

I believe we had a big thread on nose disc compression alternatives awhile back.  

Maybe someone can discover that.  I’ll look too .

Familiar with the previous threads and the alternatives, although I don't think I have the attach points for the turnbuckle idea.

I have a friend here at MS that will most likely lend me his nose gear tool so I can do my friend’s M20C. You would have to fly over to me or him (also Southeast Michigan) and I could do yours also. If you have jacks and an A&P you can do your mains at Grosse Ile.

Or maybe we can work something else out for this summer sometime. 

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

I have a friend here at MS that will most likely lend me his nose gear tool so I can do my friend’s M20C. You would have to fly over to me or him (also Southeast Michigan) and I could do yours also. If you have jacks and an A&P you can do your mains at Grosse Ile.

Or maybe we can work something else out for this summer sometime. 

Oh that'd be great! Not in a hurry so I can definitely wait until things normalize a bit. I'll PM you down the line. Really appreciate the offer.

I believe our cowl guy also built a hydraulic nose gear compressor...

Fuzzy old memory of a project that may have been built by @ sabremech...

See what falls out of this search...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Nose gear compressor&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-

22 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I believe our cowl guy also built a hydraulic nose gear compressor...

Fuzzy old memory of a project that may have been built by @ sabremech...

See what falls out of this search...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Nose gear compressor&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, but per a previous thread I think he sent his off to AGL. I'm going to try to keep it local but have not completely ruled out more distant options.

When you do the mains jack it high enough to sit the mains on 3 stacked 2X6s. This gives you enough height to sit under the airplane and work in the wheel well comfortably.

Once you get the cross bolt out of the top collar, I found it easier to remove the lower swing arm of the gear and work on everything that way. It can be done without removing the lower gear leg though, You will have to raise it high enough to remove the 2X6s to get the leg to swing down far enough to change the donuts.  Then back up on the 2X6s and you might need someone to push down carefully on the wing tip to compress the donuts enough to get the retainer ring down far enough to push the cross bolt through. The bolt uses a SHEAR lock nut not a regular locknut. Pay attention to how you push the bolt in so you can access the head of the bolt to hold it and tighten the nut. Also pay attention to which side goes up on the top collar.    Check it when you take it off and MARK it so you don't forget..

As always when its on the jacks go easy on pushing and shoving  You don't want to drop it off of the jacks

I saw that happen once on a 707-720 at LAX 50 years ago. 

For the nose gear Get the tool!

• Like 1