Ovation - New Paint in Progress

I'm just Another Florida paint shop victim!! At this point I'm hoping to get my airplane back before the year ends. There should be legislation to protect the aircraft owner against predators such as this. $15,000 to strip and paint, but not delivering the product as promised. I was promised 4 to 8 weeks to delivery. It took them 9 weeks just to strip. Its been 3 weeks since strip job, and NOTHING has been done since. My bird has been sidelined and ignored while others have been taken in. Its all about profits and 0 customer satisfaction. Beware of Florida aircraft paint shops.

Edited by MooneyTunes

I'm just Another Florida paint shop victim!! At this point I'm hoping to get my airplane back before the year ends. There should be legislation to protect the aircraft owner against predators such as my case. $15,000 to strip and paint, but not delivering the product as promised. 

What is the name of the place, so they don’t get any more victims?

I will keep the name anonymous till I get my airplane back. I dropped off my Mooney, and a substantial amount of $$ as deposit. I expected a "reputable aircraft service center" to deliver on their promise. But unfortunately my aircraft has been held as a hostage with NO true delivery date, although one was promised. Truly unfortunate. Enough to make me want to sell my beloved Mooney.

Edited by MooneyTunes

There is a very prof. shop near San Antonio that does, if he has weather, two corporate jets a week.

One day to strip, one day to paint and one day to decal and letter. (Approx. $250k per aircraft, or if my math is right, about $500k per week.

Unfortunately,  its my understanding, only corporate jets need apply.

Like everything else in life, it just depends who you get.

2 hours ago, MooneyTunes said:

I will keep the name unanimous till I get my airplane back. I dropped off my Mooney, and a substantial amount of $$ as deposit. I expected a "reputable aircraft service center" to deliver on their promise. But unfortunately my aircraft has been held as a hostage with NO true delivery date, although one was promised. Truly unfortunate. Enough to make me want to sell my beloved Mooney.

I would keep it anonymous if you don't want everyone to know,.

4 hours ago, MooneyTunes said:

I will keep the name unanimous till I get my airplane back. I dropped off my Mooney, and a substantial amount of $$ as deposit. I expected a "reputable aircraft service center" to deliver on their promise. But unfortunately my aircraft has been held as a hostage with NO true delivery date, although one was promised. Truly unfortunate. Enough to make me want to sell my beloved Mooney.

Welcome to the world of aircraft ownership/upgrades/shop work.  It’s definitely *not* right- particularly compared with the rest of the known service world!  I think because the number of shops is so limited and the liability so high,  that the some of the ones left operating are over saturated with work and can “get away with it” ... so they do.. even after commanding top dollar.  Hopefully the juice is worth the squeeze for you, though- and you get a beautiful looking product back (albeit a bit later than anticipated).

On 3/27/2020 at 8:50 PM, DAVIDWH said:

There is a very prof. shop near San Antonio that does, if he has weather, two corporate jets a week.

One day to strip, one day to paint and one day to decal and letter. (Approx. $250k per aircraft, or if my math is right, about $500k per week.

Unfortunately,  its my understanding, only corporate jets need apply.

Like everything else in life, it just depends who you get.

I’d really wonder about the quality of the work, flight controls removed, balanced and reinstalled? etc.

Clarence

I’ve been involved with refinishing two jets. Those numbers are silly. It is impossible to Correctly paint A corporate jet in 3 days. 
More along the lines of :

Day to prep/mask.

day to strip

day to prime

day for body work Sand and fill

day to prime/seal

day for trim paint

day to detail and polish

day for decals and polish. 

That’s with a 19+ person paint shop. The two best paint shops I’ve worked with are Duncan Battle Creek and WestStar Grand Junction. Both jobs were below $180k. 

Very interested in the OP paint work. Looks really unique with the blue and green. 

-Matt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BorealOne said:

20200330_080905.thumb.jpg.408b2d6d4e3a335e02ee742ac577a22b.jpg

Be sure to have them degrease the hinge bearings prior to reinstallation and remind them of the thin shim washers which Mooney often installs on the elevators and rudder.

Clarence