CPL Solo Practice while sheltering?

Boilermonkey

I don't like Wings either. I'd rather go fly to breakfast or lunch with the CFI. The flight is fun, and the "ground" portion is better when done over a good meal. We keep it casual and fun.

Of course this doesn't work under the current conditions. So I called my CFI and reminded him of a flight we made a month ago. He logged into my ForeFlight account and signed the entry.

It pays to have and maintain good relationships in this hobby. You should have a good relationship with a shop owner (A&P/AI), a CFI, and an insurance agent. I'm fortunate that I can count all three as friends.

• Like 1

I am too most fortunate, as I have an excellent relationship with my flight instructor [and good friend].  We formally do the Wings thing, but I have complete access to her most anytime at her hangar.  We visit quite a bit, so anytime I've got questions, she's more than willing to share.  When we do fly together for the review, I don't get off easy...LOL.  The flights are always educational and also a work out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Possibly I misunderstood tmo’s statement.

Yes, somewhat.  I never meant to imply the flying part will not be needed to get a FR (flight review) signed off.  All I was saying that one might have had a flight with a FI (flight instructor) that included all the air work that is required for getting credit, and it could be retroactively used, in a pinch.  If I recall correctly, the flight part of a FR doesn't need to be one flight, doesn't even need to be with one FI - although I might be mixing up US and EASA regulations (I have the "privilege" to have to maintain two sets of papers, including different currency requirements).

For example, to be eligible to fly club planes, my club requires an annual flight with a club FI.  That usually includes all the air work that a FR would require - mine took 2h and had me sweating (in a good way).  While not an official equivalent of a FR, I would have no problem asking my FI if he'd "sign" the papers if I needed it.

Just throwing an idea out there.  Not saying I am anywhere close to right.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Per my flight instructor, AOPA sent a letter March 17, to FAA requesting flight review deadlines be extended.  No FAA response yet.

Timing is everything.....LOL.   Just after I posted the above, my AOPA Aviation e Brief appeared on my phone with information regarding the FAA request :)    There is hope !

In California, not withstanding a handful of counties around the Bay area that apparently have more stringent shelter in place guidelines, our state guidelines totally exempt the Aviation Sector as essential even including flight instruction and recreational aircraft use. I had a Commercial student just complete his Checkride since our state wide shelter in place order became effective and the DPE had no issue doing it. 

On expiration of flight reviews, I can imagine the FAA allowing pilots with expired flight reviews to fly solo VFR to get to their CFI for a flight review. Check your insurance policy to make sure you are still covered without a current flight review. (I believe I am on mine, but with all the changes recently such as dropping open pilot clauses I'd want to check again).

I personally only do Wings Flight Reviews these days. It really is in the best interest of the client. First you do the ground on your own online with lots of free courses to pick from. Anyone that attends Wings seminars will have this requirement already partially completed as well. Then we fly the Wings flight activities together which gets you bonus points should the FAA ever want to talk to you regarding a possible Pilot Deviation. If you get called in, the first thing they do is check your Pilot history. When they see your Wings activities they immediately recognize you as one of the good guys that take their currency training seriously. Also, Wings participants are less likely to get called into the FSDO than those that don't participate in the Wings Pilot Proficiency Program.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Then we fly the Wings flight activities together which gets you bonus points should the FAA ever want to talk to you regarding a possible Pilot Deviation. If you get called in, the first thing they do is check your Pilot history. When they see you Wings activities they immediately recognize you as one of the good guys that take is currency training seriously. Also, Wings participants are less likely to get called into the FSDO than those that don't participate in the Wings Pilot Proficiency Program.

Good to know... I've had a chat with the FSDO over a pilot deviation... it went well and no action followed.

• Like 1

The FAA has granted a 3 month extension to end of June for renewal of medicals. 

Airman Medical Certificate Policy.pdf

update: Its also on AOPA here: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/march/27/faa-eases-pilots-worries?fbclid=IwAR3HY4s1eOXw9NJBdlxYBbUyOSuV4K4QFfs4vPkWz54qVsEjkFGChGBLThU

In addition to this, we're see very recent AD's getting extensions for compliance as well. Although nothing of interest to a Mooney owner to cite. 

But nothing on the Flight Review extension request as of yet that I have seen. But perhaps any relief might follow a similar blanket extension as given in the Medical Certificate extension. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2