CPL Solo Practice while sheltering?

Boilermonkey

I've been working on my Commercial Pilots License and I'd hate to backslide on my skills.  I work in an aviation related industry where I don't fly commercially, but my PPL/CPL plays a role.  What's your interpretation of the current "stay at home" declaration?  I live in Indiana where they are telling us to stay home except to get food, supplies, or go to work.  I see this as part of my work.  Moreover I'm completely solo for the whole thing in my own airplane, so I'm not spreading the virus.  Thoughts?

The federal government has a list of critical infrastructure areas.  CISA List

Aviation including repair, operations, fuel and flight schools are specifically listed.  

Obviously you should practice all due care with social distancing and sanitation.   But solo flight and even flight training appear to be permitted.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

The federal government has a list of critical infrastructure areas.  CISA List

Aviation including repair, operations, fuel and flight schools are specifically listed.  

Obviously you should practice all due care with social distancing and sanitation.   But solo flight and even flight training appear to be permitted.  

But the medical manufacturing that I am in is apparently not on the critical infrastructure list. While our products from this plant have no connection to fighting the current [or any] infection, the product that we make is keeping patients alive and out of the ER, saving space for virus sufferers. So we have decided ourselves that we are "critical."

• Like 5

GA pilots and our small planes always help out when disaster strikes.  Compassion, Angel, delivering supplies....  So keeping your plane ready to go and your skills current is a necessary critical function should you be willing to provide assistance. With the caveat that you are alone as @gsxrpilot said. and don't contact anyone on way to the field.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MB65E said:

You’ll encounter less people on your flight than the thousands that are going for hikes or walks these days. 
Shocking how many neighbors are out and about!

As long as they are avoiding crowds and staying 6' from people they meet, all is good. Right?

• Like 4

It’s spring...

People have been cooped up so long already... they are hitting the trails...

All the gyms are closed, so... they are hitting the trails...

The parking lot at the local hiking spot fills up....

Some people even go a mile in on the trail... usually they hang closer to the access points...

Get out... exercise the plane and the mind...

Do all the checklist stuff.... to avoid needing help from anyone...

Self service using a credit card...

Exercise has been recommended by the official NJ people...

PP ideas that come to mind...

Traveling will be important to firing up the economy....

Best regards,

-a-

I have been working on mine!  No reason to be cooped up.  There was a lot of traffic the other day when I was working on my 180 power off landings. 

Also good to keep up on YouTube channels that have content on the commercial: Finer Points, Bold Method, AOPA, Rod Machado, King etc.  I spoke to a  DPE and, of course, his schedule has been put on hold. But he suggested that I continue to practice 8s on pylons, steep turns, chandelles, etc.  I also have my home sim set up, though it is a lot easier to shoot approached on it then check my progress on the chandelle.  Having X-plane shoot Foreflight to my ipad helps with geo referencing and track log.

Good luck to you.  Although I feel like the instrument rating was the hardest [and best for me as a pilot] the  commercial is going to open up a world of opportunities.  Of course, I took my best friend with me.

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.92b540cea655c427f2ab19759d425b35.JPGIMG_0603.thumb.JPG.04ca35e5d0422976d89c1fe6300d882e.JPG

• Like 2

I have stopped in-person flight training with my students.  It was my personal choice, one that is in line with general guidelines.  

The Maryland Governor yesterday issued a directive that (vaguely) exempts aviation flight training from shuttering.  MD Directive 3-23-2020   But most flight schools in the area are shutting down all but solo flight activity.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

What if you need a biannual. How do you manage without flying without a CFI?

That's a difficult situation.  Excellent question.  Hmmmm.  Maybe the FAA will grant extensions?   Maybe a good question for one of our MS CFI's?

• Like 1

Not an answer to your question, but I was looking for information on medicals the other day.  My class 2 needs renewed next month but it doesn’t seem like a good time to go to my cardiologist AME for a handshake and chat.  I saw aopa and alpa are petitioning for extensions.  Maybe they’ll do that for flight reviews too?

• Like 1

No Idea if it will transfer to GA side but airlines (At least mine) has gotten approval for 60 or 90 day extensions on required training and medicals (including special issuance). Doesn't reset the dates it just gives a longer grace period.

Brian

FAA Wings give one a way to get lots of different activities credited, up to a full flight review.  You still need to have someone sign off that you did the proper air work, but that route might be easier (perhaps you have something from a few months back).

3 hours ago, tmo said:

FAA Wings give one a way to get lots of different activities credited, up to a full flight review.  You still need to have someone sign off that you did the proper air work, but that route might be easier (perhaps you have something from a few months back).

I’m a Wings participant.   I did not know one could receive the Wings program full flight review without an instructor on board.  

17 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I’m a Wings participant.   I did not know one could receive the Wings program full flight review without an instructor on board.  

I believe you still have to have a CFI in the airplane for the flight portion. But you can get 100% of the ground portion done with Wings.

28 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I believe you still have to have a CFI in the airplane for the flight portion. But you can get 100% of the ground portion done with Wings.

Because 3 hrs on line is so much better than an hour face to face, tailored to your needs, with the ability to ask questions. 

I've taken many Wings courses, the difficult part is finding an instructor to sign off on them in the system. I only attended one of the old programs before the current abomination rolled out, and I just think any "program" that requires a 30+ page Help section should be redone by a person with sense!

• Like 1