Same keys?

Fry

Hi there,

has anybody ever made the three keys (door, baggage, ignition) into one? Wouldn't it be nice to have one key for all three, just like a car?

Just thinking about it, how would it be done and how expensive would it be?

(BTW, I found out that no regular locksmith is able to make additional keys for my Mooney here in Germany).

Thanks for your thoughts,

Fry

@Fry, those look just like my keys. I've had several spare sets made at locksmiths in two states (WV, AL). They are just filing cabinet keys.

If you need key blanks, I can send some to you, just need the numbers off of them. Then your locksmith can copy them.

I spent more for colored rubber caps than for the actual keys--Blue for Bags, Green for Go (door), Red for Fire (ignition). I'm sure you'll come up with your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hank, thanks a lot for your offer. Indeed, I would like to have about 5 blanks if possible. Can pay by Paypal or cc (no personal checks here in Europe).

Now, how to exchange the locks in the door and baggage door? (the lock format seems to be a US standard)

Aircraft Spruce sells matching door lock set.  They also sell matching ignition and lock sets, however ACS ignition switches are not approved for Mooney airframes.

Clarence 

764CC6AC-4BC3-4D51-84FB-D8C8C6AE96A5.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Fry said:

@Hank, thanks a lot for your offer. Indeed, I would like to have about 5 blanks if possible. Can pay by Paypal or cc (no personal checks here in Europe).

Now, how to exchange the locks in the door and baggage door? (the lock format seems to be a US standard)

i need the number from the face of the key. It is just before the ridges are cut, and identifies the blank that is required to fit the grooves as the key slides into the lock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I re-keyed my doors (cabin & bagage) to match my ignition, but I think you have Medico locks which makes it a lot harder if not impossible. Can you take a photo of the keys laying flat and post them?

The Mooneys that came from the factory with Medeco locks all were keyed to one key.

After inspection, it seems to me that all three keys are made from the same kind of blank. So I would like to copy the ignition key, and if Hank can help me get the blanks (thanks Hank, you've got a message from me), I am positive I will find a locksmith here in Germany that will make the keys for me.

BUT: how do I get door and baggage compartment LOCKS that math the ignition key?

8 hours ago, McMooney said:

I want to do the same, how long did it take?

Youre just switching cables, and i bet you could do most of the work yourself. Id guess maybe like 2 or 3 hours of work. They did it for free cause the panel was in pieces anyway.

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Youre just switching cables, and i bet you could do most of the work yourself. Id guess maybe like 2 or 3 hours of work. They did it for free cause the panel was in pieces anyway.

nice, def on the list for this years annual. 

twisting and pushing that tiny key esp with sweaty hands( summer ),  grr

On 3/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, OR75 said:

This may help:

The key blank is a Y11 

You won't find it in generic key duplication machines but locksmiths will have it

What you people do not have a key cutting machine at home?  sigh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1