Insurance Checkout

Armand

I need to find an M20C to rent and an instructor to hire located reasonably close to Nashville, TN.  I am a Com/CFI with plenty of HP, Complex/ RG time, but NO Mooney time.  Insurance company is requiring two hours and five T/O landing to a full stop from a CFI current in the Make and Model.  I would like to do more than the minimum.

Armand

pilotandinsurancegeek@gmail.com

Armand,

sounds a bit too easy doesn’t it?

There is a list of Mooney instructors...

MAPA provides training and a great resource for finding instructors...

The Mooney Flyer lists Mooney instructors by state...

There is an M20F to rent around here somewhere... Transition training is also available...

The challenge is both the cost of the plane and insurance...

Many qualified CFIs own Mooneys... but to keep it insured to train in has become too expensive to do casually...

What are you trying to do?

•  Fly a Mooney yourself?  Two hours makes you a legal test pilot... with plenty left to learn on your own... (not recommended)
  • Teach Mooney Flying?  (Sounds Dangerous)
  • Check a box next to planes you flew... (two hours is plenty.)

Let us know a bit more of what you are trying to get accomplished.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

@Armand, clarify with your ins. co., too, whether any Mooney time will count, or must it be an M20-C specifically. Most will accept any model. That will make it easier for you to find one to train in before taking on your client. I let my CFII fly my plane before training for this reason. 

29 minutes ago, Hank said:

@Armand, clarify with your ins. co., too, whether any Mooney time will count, or must it be an M20-C specifically. Most will accept any model. That will make it easier for you to find one to train in before taking on your client. I let my CFII fly my plane before training for this reason. 

I agree, but not in "most."

Yes, clarify, although Armand indicates they did say "make and model." With significant variants, an experienced pilot/instructor, and a requirement for a short 2-hour checkout,  they tend to mean just that. Whether they would accept a checkout in an electric gear J for a manual gear C is an interesting question. I expect they wouldn't but I've seen some weird results from underwriters.

14 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I agree, but not in "most."

Yes, clarify, although Armand indicates they did say "make and model." With significant variants, an experienced pilot/instructor, and a requirement for a short 2-hour checkout,  they tend to mean just that. Whether they would accept a checkout in an electric gear J for a manual gear C is an interesting question. I expect they wouldn't but I've seen some weird results from underwriters.

I went from flying a manual gear M20B rental to owning my own electric gear M20F.  Insurance yawned; not even a checkout required.  I picked it up from its pre-buy location and flew it home:D

• Like 2

This one has a few things...

1) Not very close...

2) Not an M20C...

3) But, by all accounts can get the job done...

4) It’s available for rent...

5) Not far away if you fly a Mooney....

6) Instruction is available...

7) MSers have used it.

PP thoughts only, not an insurance guy or a CFI....

Best regards,

-a-

This is another thread where a rental Mooney question has come up. I have mentioned once before we need a permanent post with all known Mooney rentals across the country. How do we get a permanent post started?

Sorry for the hyjack. 

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

All,

Thanks for the responses.  I just joined your group since I am looking to buy an M20C.  I plan to hang out an learn more.

Carusoam, I am an insurance guy, but no longer do aviation insurance.  Make and Model can be specific, so always best to ask the underwriter and clarify.  In my case any M20B and up will do.  So no issues there.  Just need to find one nearby.  I do travel to Dallas occasionally, but it is also a short inexpensive flight on Southwest.

I am going to check with MAPA, but have been slammed at work all week.

Tailwinds,

Armand

On 3/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, MikeOH said:

I went from flying a manual gear M20B rental to owning my own electric gear M20F.  Insurance yawned; not even a checkout required.  I picked it up from its pre-buy location and flew it home:D

That was my experience as well. I sold an M20C and two weeks later climbed in a 252 and flew it home from Eastern Ohio to Austin Texas. I had the POH on the seat next to me. I also had the MAPA Log article on the 252 with me as well. My very first landing in a mid-body was the fuel stop in Memphis.