Winch on rear tire down hook

r0ckst4r

2 hours ago, r0ckst4r said:

On the rear tie down ring?

Yes, no problem at all. It is just a slow process extending the cable and pulling the plane in. I used it at my home hangar but the way it is situated it made it an extra long distance to pull it in. I ended up buying an Airtechniques RC tug which is awesome! I use a friend hangar in the mountain that has an incline and snow a lot. I installed the winch there and its perfect! I love that thing when I'm by my self or its slippery out pulls it right in!

On 3/28/2020 at 8:05 AM, HRM said:

Pay no attention to any of those guys behind the curtain, I've had this arrangement for a couple of years.

I recommend, though, that you install LASAR's SS tail tiedown.

Photo shows tail just across hngr threshold, cable runs back to winch secured (by SS cable straps) to rear D-beam of hngr. This pulls on the cage, not the skin.

800319437_N5976Qwinchpull2.thumb.JPG.baac214d26c7558552d38ea1b60b1d9d.JPG

After 3 years, I finally decided to install the LASAR tail ring, expecting it would be better than using the winch on the single tiedown eye.

drove to the airport, found my gloves and wrenches, pulled out a pad to lie on,  dug out the lasar ring, and went to work installing.  UNFORTUNATELY, the darn thing doesn't fit.

i'm bummed!  the holes are about 1/8 inch too close.  cry

What year do you have McM?

I remember my 65C having a similar challenge...

A trip to the drill press may have solved the issue... it’s been so long, the memory may have faded...

See if Lasar has an answer if they are in the office yet... Dan is really good with parts questions...

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, McMooney said:

After 3 years, I finally decided to install the LASAR tail ring, expecting it would be better than using the winch on the single tiedown eye.

drove to the airport, found my gloves and wrenches, pulled out a pad to lie on,  dug out the lasar ring, and went to work installing.  UNFORTUNATELY, the darn thing doesn't fit.

i'm bummed!  the holes are about 1/8 inch too close.  cry

I think this fits to the later Mooney. You should give them a call and check with parts people. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. Good luck.

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

What year do you have McM?

I remember my 65C having a similar challenge...

A trip to the drill press may have solved the issue... it’s been so long, the memory may have faded...

See if Lasar has an answer if they are in the office yet... Dan is really good with parts questions...

Best regards,

-a-

I have a 74E, if only i had the tooling to adjust it.  Might be able to get my MX to adust it.

• 2 years later...

Installed my Harbor Freight winch, and it is working great! 

there's not much incline, so it doesn't put a huge amount of force on the tail. Also very slow, just a few feet a inute.

Bought 100' of 16 gauge 4-wire "trailer wire" and made the wired remote 100' long, so i can get all the way to the front and steer the plane.

The winch only has 35' of cable, so I had to put a cloth extension on, which was about $8. Once the winch rewinds all the way, I have to extend it and move it closer to the plane, and do a second pass.

I put a plastic tub at the back of the hangar, and the remote and wiring go in the tub.

Took a few hours over 3 trips to get it all sorted, but it works great. 

749251618_ScreenShot2022-11-05at2_06_59PM.png.f8940fd2ea72f5cec317359428a9214b.pngimage.png.d0b40a7522d28b6a3ab142b514413de0.png

• Like 1

Mine came with the remote switch… for a few dollars more…

Soooo no long controller wire to wrangle with… while I’m up steering the nose around…

:)

I’m unable to push the plane by myself the last three feet if my tanks have fuel in them….  Too much uphill grade…

Amazing how a small incline translates into a big power requirement…

HP… lifting a ton, one foot, over a minute….. ?

My hangar must be a foot or two up hill….

Best regards,

-a-

I got a Redline Sidewinder for moving mine around.    My hangar and ramp are pretty flat, but there is a lip where it transitions from the asphalt ramp to the concrete hangar floor.  I cannot push it over that lip alone.

I winch would have worked.  But the Sidewinder helps get it out of the hangar. :D

• Haha 1

I have gone through two winches over the years.  They are nice but sometimes there is tangling problems.  Both motors burnt out eventually as they are cheap.

I am going to try a block and tackle next - old school.  No motors, no electricity.  I am planning on setting that up sometime this month.  I think I will like it.

Edited by aviatoreb