Cowl Flap Rod Lengths for M20J

fellis

I have been chasing an issue on my 1980 M20J whereby the cowl flaps freely open and closed on ground but in the air will not fully close. Have investigated and flaps and various connections (rods and complete linkage going back to the cable) are very loose and sloppy which exacerbates the wear on the already worn components. Have ordered replacement parts and waiting for these to come in. While making the repairs I noticed that one of the threaded rods on right (exhaust side) has been modified as someone cut it, rewelded making it 1/2" longer. Thinking that this may have something to do with cowl flaps not closing but do not know for sure. 

Wanted to see if someone may know what the correct length of these rods may be. The opposite side is exactly 5 inches and length and appears to be original. 

Mooney parts catalog indicates that there are 3 possible rod combinations but does not provide any specifications on length. 

Any help on what length these should be and if they are supposed to be the same would be appreciated. 

Many thanks.

Quick update on the repair. All bushings and worn linkage replaced and reasembled. Virtually zero play in the cowl flaps now. Much better. Flaps open and close on the ground with no sticking and with ease.

Took for test flight this morning and same problem. Flaps can be closed but will not stay shut. Simply push back to open position right after reaching closed postion.

Any ideas?

You probably need to rig the cable a little shorter and the rods a little longer.

Test on the ground by trying to pull them open. (The actual cowl flaps, not the handle).

Undo the leakages from the cowl flaps. Close them with the knob. pull down on each linkage rod. if you can pull them open, re-rig the cable until you can't. Now rig the rods so they are closed just touching the cowl.

Many thanks for the help. Went back to the hangar this evening and took a closer look after removing the top cowling. As it turns out the spring had little to no load on it when the cowl flaps were closed. I found a previous thread that had recommended to rotate the angled bracket slightly that allowed a little more load on the spring at the retracted position. I tried this and now the closed position has more load on the spring in this position. Put everything back together and cycled the cowl flaps. Appears to have much more positive load at closed but will still need to test to confirm. I will look at the positions of the flaps and adjust linkage as listed above my M201MKTurbo (many thanks for that). Also many thanks for the information above (M20Doc). Very much appreciate the help all. 

Hopefully will get a chance to take it up one day after work later this week and will report back. Have a great week and again thanks for the help.