Clear skies

I just returned from walking my dog, more stars are visible than I can remember in some time.  Has anyone else noticed how clear the night sky is now with limited air traffic?

Clarence

15 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I just returned from walking my dog, more stars are visible than I can remember in some time.  Has anyone else noticed how clear the night sky is now with limited air traffic?

Clarence

I've been looking for Space X mini-internet satellites myself.............. :lol:

35 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I've been looking for Space X mini-internet satellites myself.............. :lol:

Back many months ago, when Space X launched the first batch of 60 mini satellites, I was overseas flying under NVG's.  It was very cool to watch them all going by across the sky.  The guy I was flying with had no idea what was going on.  He was glad I was there or he might have thought it was the aliens invading.

• Like 1

I bet there are case studies going on about how clean the air will be since the world just shut down!! 
I bet the Sierra club and EPA will love it!!

lots of rain recently in LA,  cleaned everything too

-Matt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MB65E said:

I bet there are case studies going on about how clean the air will be since the world just shut down!! 
I bet the Sierra club and EPA will love it!!

lots of rain recently in LA,  cleaned everything too

-Matt

They are saying that some of the most polluted cities in China are actually seeing clear blue skies for the first time in many years.

Apparently,

somebody has a bunch of satellites.... AKA Google... that measures pollution output vs. time...

Then uses graphs to overlay different weeks...

as showing different graphs for different cities over China...

People have started going back to work over there... as the graphs detailed the difference...

Talk about investment science...  we used to use things like... hey, how full is that parking lot...? looks like everyone has gone shopping...

How long is the traffic back-up... everyone is going to the beach...

Other satellites were pictures of crowds... normal vs. post COVID-19 with tremendous detail...

All shown on CNBC during different days... part of the business channel...

All too late to save my retirement program... :)

PP thoughts only, not an economist...

Best regards,

-a-

Did I ever mention how much I believe in capitalism?

It may not be perfect... but it’s the best system I have...

there still will be rough waters ahead...

For the young bucks... there is a great sale going on, and COVID-19 isn’t as much of a big deal for the young...

Great to be young!

When I was young... we had Black Monday... I didn’t have a pot... the virus of the day still hasn’t a cure...

With MS and the internet... we get actual communication of interesting information... and somebody to discuss it with... Sometimes it is somebody in the know!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

10 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I’m a night sky / star gazer.  It’s always been this way where I live.  In the country in a sparsely populated area out of the mainstream of our country.  Although I have always enjoyed living here I guess some things have just been taken for granted.  

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I’m a night sky / star gazer.  It’s always been this way where I live.  In the country in a sparsely populated area out of the mainstream of our country.  Although I have always enjoyed living here I guess some things have just been taken for granted.  

Tom

One of the trade offs of city life is the lack of a night sky.  Now both the the day and night sky seem bright and clear.

Clarence

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

I know what you mean. My daughter went to school in Alpine, Texas, about 24 miles from the MacDonald Observatory, and remarked how many stars you could see out there. Alpine is such a small town, the population doubled when school was in session - 2,400 to almost 5,000!

• Like 1

Yep, stars are usually very visible here, the Milky Way too if you're outside at the right time. My biggest obstruction is the trees . . . . it's difficult to see much of the sky near the house due to lack of open space (likely not a problem in W. Texas).

Then again, it's 8 miles to a town on 1000, and 11 miles the other way to the edge of a city of 5000.  :)   Life is good in the country!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

My son went with me to the hangar on Thursday to help put the lower cowling back on. During the 20 minute drive home I only saw three planes on approach to LAX, normally I can see at least between 5-10 lined up coming out of the east.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, Hank said:

Yep, stars are usually very visible here, the Milky Way too if you're outside at the right time. My biggest obstruction is the trees . . . . it's difficult to see much of the sky near the house due to lack of open space (likely not a problem in W. Texas).

It doesn't hurt that the elevation of the McDonald Observatory in West Texas is 6766 feet either with very low humidity - no haze..

On 3/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, Oldguy said:

I know what you mean. My daughter went to school in Alpine, Texas, about 24 miles from the MacDonald Observatory, and remarked how many stars you could see out there. Alpine is such a small town, the population doubled when school was in session - 2,400 to almost 5,000!

A friend bought a very expensive telescope for sky gazing, it was a huge disappointment for him with London light pollution and low clouds 

Only time when it seemed good value for money was after we had a long 7h drive to Kielder Forest between Scotland & England

It turn out that one does not need a 7000$ astronomy kit to enjoy the view during an observation night over there, I guess same number of stars can be spotted in dark Canyons in Utah or Death Valley? funny bit, contrary to perception of billions there are "only 6000 visible" by the naked eye and only half of them will show on each side of the earth :)

Edited by Ibra

Have any of you astronomers used the Star Walk app on your iPad? It has a map of all the visible stars and constellations. Walk outside at night and hold the iPad up to the sky. It will put the stars and constellations on the screen that you are looking at in that part of the sky. It's good for kids and adults alike. Really anyone who likes looking at the night sky and wonders what you're looking at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Have any of you astronomers used the Star Walk app on your iPad? It has a map of all the visible stars and constellations. Walk outside at night and hold the iPad up to the sky. It will put the stars and constellations on the screen that you are looking at in that part of the sky. It's good for kids and adults alike. Really anyone who likes looking at the night sky and wonders what you're looking at.

I use Sky View on my android, shows even stars / planets / satellites / etc. below the horizon or below your feet if you're curious about what's coming up or already gone by . . . . .

And of course, if I have it, it is free.  :D

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I doubt its air traffic, its two other things, ground traffic and light pollution, meaning the reduction of them. One of the first news pieces that came out when the virus was spreading rapidly in China but we had just a handful of cases, was the effect on smog in China.  It was massive. No one in their cars, and where there had been hundreds of square miles of NOx there was none.  And as far as light pollution is concerned, all you really have to do is go to the Bahamas, which has plenty of air traffic, and walk a beach in the dark on the Atlantic side some night.  Downtowns are shut down as are most places of business, no ball games with night lights.