Glass fiber insulation replacement

Our plane (1978 M20J) has the SB-208 done - but the insulation was only replaced around the cabin. Back around the baggage area there is still the old glass fiber insulation both on the walls and ceiling. I'd like to replace this insulation with something that does not absorb water and isn't a pain to deal with.

Can someone suggest a good replacement for the standard yellow glassfiber insulation? I'm not even sure insulation is necessary so I would be interested in opinions on that too.

Emil,

Everyone has probably done this at one time or another...

Some have bought the sheets themselves... others hired somebody to do the job...

Good insulation really makes it airliner comfortable... (is that possible?)

door seals really help too...

Scan the list, see what stands out...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=insulation&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, emilpemil said:

I have looked through aircraft spruce but they do not have anything that doesn't weigh a lot. Sound isolation is nice but not if it's going to add pounds of weight for a small area.

I replaced mine several years ago, the original insulation was glued to a cardboard backer then glued to the sheet metal. how much was the difference, i have no idea but my best guess is a few pounds.

During a big project I was involved in at Weststar Aviation a few years ago, they offered "Super Soundproofing". The theory was to change the resonant frequency in the areas of the skin of the aircraft that spans any structure. I remember minimal weight increase, and enough of a result that the C441's for sale today still boast the upgrade.

There are strict burn test requirements that would be insane not to follow as well.

Fly Safe

Bob Weber

webairconsulting.com

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread with a couple of questions. I think I have read all of the insulation threads but nobody seems to talk about what fits where. 3/8 or 1/2" foam. Looks like foam mart in Burbank might have the better deal but also contacted the local MSC to see if they have the Mooney mylar-backed foam on the shelf. Plus the usual Aircraft Spruce links abound.

To give an idea of the idiot-level project I started and now need to finish (interior removal gone insane) within the next few weeks while avionics surgery is happening...so I pulled out all the fiberglass insulation and what is left is the yellow foam in the roof. Thinking 1/2" all around but open to suggestions to keep the plane warm and quiet. Thanks in advance.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

2 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Reviving this thread with a couple of questions. I think I have read all of the insulation threads but nobody seems to talk about what fits where. 3/8 or 1/2" foam. Looks like foam mart in Burbank might have the better deal but also contacted the local MSC to see if they have the Mooney mylar-backed foam on the shelf. Plus the usual Aircraft Spruce links abound.

To give an idea of the idiot-level project I started and now need to finish (interior removal gone insane) within the next few weeks while avionics surgery is happening...so I pulled out all the fiberglass insulation and what is left is the yellow foam in the roof. Thinking 1/2" all around but open to suggestions to keep the plane warm and quiet. Thanks in advance.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

Looking at doing something like this in the summer. Would love to read a separate post about everything you did and what you learned!

My wife, @MrsAerostarDriverand I had enough left over from the 208B foam kit to do the rest of the baggage and hat rack area. Be careful of what foam you pick, we ended up having to repair a lot of skin corrosion due in order to replace old foam with the new 208 kit. 

I will remove the yellow foam but who knows what lies underneath. Saw one other post touting 1/2" Ensolite. As far as this plane, looks like it is pretty clean inside, didn't see corrosion. Tomorrow I will get back out to measure and then figure out what material to use. The local MSC didn't have a part number for the Mooney product (since it is a kit) so I gave them the SB so they could maybe track down the part number. 

One thing I did notice is that all of the headliner lightbulbs were missing. I wonder if they got left on too many times or maybe they didn't work. Did find that it was a delicate balancing act to get the last piece of the headliner out with out breaking anything. Disconnecting hoses and O2 lines, took the opportunity to empty the cylinder as it is out of date (shh). Noticed two of the eyeball vents weren't even connected. Work to be done. Ordered SEM Marine Vinyl paint in light gray, think it will be a nice change from the orangish-yellow color that the plastic parts became over time.

Edited by PilotX
more detail.

20 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

My wife, @MrsAerostarDriverand I had enough left over from the 208B foam kit to do the rest of the baggage and hat rack area. Be careful of what foam you pick, we ended up having to repair a lot of skin corrosion due in order to replace old foam with the new 208 kit. 

What caused the corrosion? The glue? Or the material itself? Anyone know what the 208 foam is?

Bruce Jaeger got me some of the stuff Mooney uses. He got it from Oasis Aero at Wilmar. MN. It comes in 60 foot rolls and I only used 11' so they probably still have some. LASAR told me that they believe Hector at Aero Comfort may stock it. It cost $30.55/foot (Bruce didn't mark it up).

The Mooney packing slip listed it as:

Item number E-50 SM/PSA: 1/2" acoustical foam Buckley #105988 Manufacturer: Specialty Composite Corp. Size = 1/2" x 54" x 50'. 2 lb UL/ALUM Mylar with PSAE.

Mooney has the burn cert on file.

How many people turned their iPad to see this pic right side up?

What year was the Bravo built?

Wondering if the Ovations used the same old fiberglass in 94...

:)

-a-

Holy cow!  Mooneys are spacious!

Long Bodies are huge! That hat rack is a mile away!

E0DC15DF-AD43-4A41-A56D-50D1C077FB63.jpeg

• Haha 1

This is a 1990. Waiting for the invoice from SoundEx, some beading from Jaeger, eight yards of Riviera blue UltraLeather from SailRite, some light gray SEM paint, should be a nice refresh. I’ll hopeful disconnect the pilots side yoke from the big black button thingee and ship them and the glare shied to Hector. A minor-big project. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

Ensolite foam is what I die cut for the Columbia aircraft 

There are quite a few types of Ensolite on their page, can you please share which version is the best for this application?

• 4 weeks later...