Emergency Gear Extension Arm

During my last annual my mechanic was testing the emergency gear operation. When they flipped the gear arm out to crank the gear, the red anodized aluminum rod shot off the blue rod. I have the red rod and the spring. My mechanic nor I can figure out how it was attached. Does anyone know how it is assembled? We know something broke but when looking at the end of the blue rod it is next to impossible to tell what broke or how the red rod/spring attached. Thanks. 

That’s why we do annuals so that doesn’t happen when you are in the air!

BTW,  If I sound snarky it because I found an illegal bar that is open in total disrespect for authority. It is like a speakeasy, the FBI.is going to bust down the door any second now...  

• Haha 1

Welcome aboard, Mr. Wolfe...

I think there is a long underground tunnel to Rich’s Rathskeller... knock twice... :)

1) What year is your F?

2) Got maintenance and parts manuals for your plane?

3) Can you post a pic of what you have left?

4) we can see if @M20Doc is around... (E-gear crank handle fell off?)

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you. My M20F is a ‘75. I do have the manuals but they are vague when it comes to this assembly. I thought it may have been a modification but I have since seen this handle in other Mooneys. See the attached images. I cannot tell what is in the end of the last photo. I may need to go to the airport and take a better photo. It has sharp edges, like something sheared off. The handle still works, it just will not stay folded against the crank arm.  Again thank you for your help. 

3892E80D-4C8E-412E-84D4-A4F91C2862EB.jpeg

2019-11-19 17.14.59.jpg

2019-11-19 17.15.15.jpg

Mooney may have used a similar construction on the modern tow bars...

one tube over the next to act as an extension...

Held together with a roto-clip...

When the clip wears and breaks... the parts fall off...

The red/blue handle looks like it uses a spring to aid in the falling apart process... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

No other parts where found. The red tube does slide over the blue rod. The red tube has a stop inside that the springs sets into. When the red tube is slid over the blue rod it keeps pressure on the pivot point of the arm assembly. It keeps the arm assembly flush with the side panel, keeps it from swinging out. I believe that there is some type of bolt or screw that holds the red tube on the end of the blue rod. I just can’t tell if what I am seeing is a broken bolt or what. Thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I thought I’ve disassembled every part of my Mooney possible. I have one of those, but I’ve never taken it apart.

Thank you. Maybe you could take a look at yours the next time your around your plane. Post a photo. See how the red tube is attached. I am just stumped. Thanks. 

Just now, wolfe2531 said:

Thank you. Maybe you could take a look at yours the next time your around your plane. Post a photo. See how the red tube is attached. I am just stumped. Thanks. 

I'll try to do that for you. I don't have any plans to go out this weekend. Nowhere to go and nothing's broke.

2 hours ago, wolfe2531 said:

I would, but my plane is in annual an hour away . . . .

The spring provides an over center pressure that keeps the lever outright when you flip it up. Can’t tell from your picture because it’s blurry, but it looks like the attachment point has sheared off of the blue inner shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The spring provides an over center pressure that keeps the lever outright when you flip it up. Can’t tell from your picture because it’s blurry, but it looks like the attachment point has sheared off of the blue inner shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see now. Mine did shear off. I wonder how I can fix this. Was thinking about drilling and taping a bolt and washer to hold it on. Thank you. 

Thanks everyone. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Must have been squeezed on at the factory. 

You do a stealth mission to Delaware and steal mine while I am hold up like a 1930s bank robber? default_smile.png

Based on what I saw when I looked at mine, I wonder if it can be welded. It is a pretty small area, but the attachment is the area around the blue shaft.

Also, can a small flat washer and screw drilled into the middle work?

I’ll let the mechanical geniuses comment. I’m too busy counting my latest haul of toilet paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

You do a stealth mission to Delaware and steal mine while I am hold up like a 1930s bank robber? :)

Based on what I saw when I looked at mine, I wonder if it can be welded. It is a pretty small area, but the attachment is the area around the blue shaft.

Also, can a small flat washer and screw drilled into the middle will work?

I’ll let the mechanical geniuses comment. I’m too busy counting my latest haul of toilet paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Count twice, you don’t want to be caught in a bad situation. Ha. Thanks for your help. 

• Like 1

I was standing in Sam's club looking at this flat cart.  It had like 8 boxes of the big roles of the 2 ply.   I debated with myself and said yep.  So now it is on standby for the family.    Other people could not understand why I only had 1 thing of water.

For the OP I would drill and tap the end of the shaft.  Use a allen cap head screw.   and a washer.  done.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I was standing in Sam's club looking at this flat cart.  It had like 8 boxes of the big roles of the 2 ply.   I debated with myself and said yep.  So now it is on standby for the family.    Other people could not understand why I only had 1 thing of water.

For the OP I would drill and tap the end of the shaft.  Use a allen cap head screw.   and a washer.  done.

Thanks

Great Pics and description, Chris!

The over center device is just so Mooney..!

Surprised that the back isn’t rounded cam like, to smooth the motion... 

We know a guy...

There is a used parts department around here if buying a new2U part makes sense...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great Pics and description, Chris!

The over center device is just so Mooney..!

Surprised that the back isn’t rounded cam like, to smooth the motion... 

We know a guy...

There is a used parts department around here if buying a new2U part makes sense...

Best regards,

-a-

I am going to try to tap a bolt in. I’ll let you know if I need a new part. Thanks. 

Looks like the end of the shaft was made into a press rivet.  The washer is placed over it, then the press rivet is squeezed.  for some way your press rivet broke off.  Hopefully the washer is standard size or you still have it.  If you get the tapped hole correct depth it should squeeze up just right.  Probably want to add into the depth calculation for a spring lock washer.  The good news is the direction of turning is the same is tightening the threads.  Bottom tap is your friend.

• Like 1