Here is the current plan

I might go with the EMS vs. the JPI, just not sure yet.  I'm concerned about using up HDX screen space with the engine functions but that may not be a valid concern.  In any case, I'm sticking with the existing engine gauges/dials for a year or two.  After 20 years for flying round dials, it's going to be a big enough step moving to glass - one step at a time.

The Dynon EMS plus a 7" screen is about $5K.  The JPI 930 is a little more but JPI specializes in EMS and that might be better in the long run. The Dynon stuff is really cool and I think they will only get better.  When I call Dynon they are completely responsive, their on-line documentation is excellent and their ability to integrate with other suppliers far exceeds other manufactures (like big-G).  Plus the training on you tube is extremely helpful.  I'm impressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 231MJ said:

The Dynon EMS plus a 7" screen is about $5K.  The JPI 930 is a little more but JPI specializes in EMS and that might be better in the long run. The Dynon stuff is really cool and I think they will only get better.  When I call Dynon they are completely responsive, their on-line documentation is excellent and their ability to integrate with other suppliers far exceeds other manufactures (like big-G).  Plus the training on you tube is extremely helpful.  I'm impressed.

True story @231MJ  Dynon is a GA friendly company with great products to boot.  

5 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

I have been asking a lot of questions and they have been nothing but helpful.  In fact, today I asked them if they had dimensions for a Mooney panel to check mine against and they told me they would contact a shop currently doing a Mooney in the NE for some guy that does youtube videos to compare.

@PilotFun101

@chriscalandro most likely mine. Again they are a great company and are really good to there customers. I love the partnership we have. 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:26 PM, 231MJ said:

I might go with the EMS vs. the JPI, just not sure yet.  I'm concerned about using up HDX screen space with the engine functions but that may not be a valid concern.  In any case, I'm sticking with the existing engine gauges/dials for a year or two.  After 20 years for flying round dials, it's going to be a big enough step moving to glass - one step at a time.

Well if you want you can select round dials on the screen instead of tapes.  I have the same concerns as the round gauges just need a scan to make sure the needle is where it is supposed to be.  The screen is in Thirds, half, or full.  Easy enough to switch back and forth.   Cost wise it makes no sense to go outside the system.