Here is the current plan

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if @PilotFun101 is coming by...

Best regards,

-a-

Here is my Layout for My M20C.  2 10ich skyview screens. This bigger circle is my backup turn coordinator.  The smaller circles are USB ports. 1 for the passenger and pilot.  

Center stack.  Top to bottom.  Nobs for the altimeter etc. and auto pilot.  Audio panel, IFD 540, and the SL 30. and the fuses are to the right of the panel.  

This is the only way it could be done to fit the 540.  @carusoam @chriscalandro

Dynon Panel .jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotFun101 said:

Here is my Layout for My M20C.  2 10ich skyview screens. This bigger circle is my backup turn coordinator.  The smaller circles are USB ports. 1 for the passenger and pilot.  

Center stack.  Top to bottom.  Nobs for the altimeter etc. and auto pilot.  Audio panel, IFD 540, and the SL 30. and the fuses are to the right of the panel.  

Dynon Panel .jpg

I am glad to see you moved the knob and AP control panels from the lower left like they were in the video.  I think you will be much happier with them where you can use them with your right hand.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the crumminess of TCs as back-up instruments...

With all that duplicate glass it might not be all that important...

TCs that have some wear... bounce around a lot in the bumps... hard to follow the instrument...

It won’t surprise you in an emergency... you will know how bad it is in ordinary bumps... long before the emergency happens... :)

Consider a better attitude indicator for that purpose...

TCs are great back-up instruments in ideal conditions... great for training on nice days...

Mooneys tend to fly in all conditions... and bumpy IMC is crummy place to watch your TC flopping around...

So... at least check on your TC in the bumps... to see if it is an instrument that can be followed... :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

41 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Do you have enough depth in that location? That is typically the constraint for that position in the panel.

Those small panels are 1.27 inches deep and have a couple 9 pin connectors on the back.  My thinking at least is that the should be fine, but I am no expert.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PilotFun101 said:

Dynon Panel .jpg

Hey PilotFun.... with the center stack as you have it planned,  do they think it can be straight vertical or will it need to be angled forward for clearance with the cage behind the panel?

16 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

The alert horn is required equipment and requires power through the indicator. How are you including it in the Dynon?

I should have said as long as you buy the EMS module.   Horn stays in the ceiling with existing wiring. 

but for reference I am leaving the existing Gear switch and indicators.   When I put the 10" primary panel in, I am tempted to just cut the existing pane.

10 inch main.jpg

Edited by Yetti

I don’t think that’s true so I am a little lost. 
In a 68C (I have a 67) the buzzer is behind the panel and tied directly to the light through relays tied to power, controlled by the switch. 

you would either have to send power through the Dynon module which they don’t want you to do, come up with a different way to feed the buzzer, or come up with a different way to feed the indicator. 

my design keeps the existing press to test and horn as well. 

a new panel laser cut and powder coated is around 250 from lasar. I’m happy to share my file once it’s finalized. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1

I do, and as I mentioned the buzzer and indicator are powered in parallel through a series of switches.  The circuit as drawn should not be connected to the Dynon EMS as far as I am aware.I'd ask the Dynon rep, but I believe the spare GPIO pins should be dry contact closures.

I might be wrong about the dry contact closure, but I sure wouldn't hook it up to the circuit in the diagram.

You could in theory add a cap and diode into the Dynon circuit to filter the DC but I don't see that in the install guide and I'm not sure how legal that would be.

Gear.jpg

Gear 2.jpg

Edited by chriscalandro

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Do you have enough depth in that location? That is typically the constraint for that position in the panel.

@gsxrpilot Yes.  But is way I had to put the transponder in the tail.  The top part of the panel has the center bar that splits so you dont have a lot of depth but it was good for the auto pilot panel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotFun101 said:

@chriscalandro the gear alert horn is connected to the throttle cable.  That will still remain in place. 

My question is about the indicator. Which should not be fed off the switch in the original circuit. Yes the horn is off the throttle switch, but the throttle switch is in parallel with the indicator circuit off the switch in the Johnson bar.
The problem is the same. You either need a new switch to feed the Dynon indicator or you need to do some filtering in the circuit. 

what I’m saying is I don’t think you can use the existing switch in the Johnson bar without either losing the gear horn or letting the smoke out of the EMS module. Have a look at the drawing. Easiest thing to do is leave the original press to test and gear horn circuits alone and add some holes for them in the panel. 

also I’m considering moving my autopilot control panel to the top of the radio stack like yours. I’ll be interested to see how that works out. 

Edited by chriscalandro

9 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

My question is about the indicator. Which should not be fed off the switch in the original circuit. Yes the horn is off the throttle switch, but the throttle switch is in parallel with the indicator circuit off the switch in the Johnson bar.
The problem is the same. You either need a new switch to feed the Dynon indicator or you need to do some filtering in the circuit. 

what I’m saying is I don’t think you can use the existing switch in the Johnson bar without either losing the gear horn or letting the smoke out of the EMS module. Have a look at the drawing. 

also I’m considering moving my autopilot control panel to the top of the radio stack like yours. I’ll be interested to see how that works out. 

@chriscalandro Gotcha.  I am going to most likely keep the 2 light indicator on the panel. 

5 minutes ago, PilotFun101 said:

@chriscalandro Gotcha.  I am going to most likely keep the 2 light indicator on the panel. 

You understand what I’m saying right?

I wanted to do what you want to do, but I don’t think those changes are part of the STC and it’s a major system change. I couldn’t come up with another way around it short of adding another switch or putting contacts in the gear wells. 

I think we’re stuck with the indicator lights. It’s a good time to upgrade then though!

Edited by chriscalandro

Here's my Dynon layout - sorry I can't rotate the picture, tech challenged.  Plane goes to the shop late April.  The wiring for the autopilot will be completed now and the servos installed after certification (which I hope is soon).

N231MJ Dynon Layout.jpg