jgarrison

On 3/24/2020 at 5:27 AM, kmyfm20s said:

@donkaye @cbarry

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf

recreational aviation is still okay.

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS
Sector Profile
The Transportation Systems Sector consists of seven key subsectors, or modes:
- Aviation includes aircraft, air traffic control systems, and airports, heliports, and landing strips. Commercial aviation services at civil and joint-use military airports, heliports, and sea plane bases. In addition, the aviation mode includes commercial and recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.

So the Washington order contains the exact same paragraph.  It’s from a list of federal critical infrastructure definitions.  However, what you posted is the “sector profile” for Transportation and Logistics.  It just defines the entire transportation sector.  Washingtons order contains these Definitions for all sectors of the economy, infrastructure, etc.  it’s about 6 pages.  Then it defines “essential functions” which are subsets of each sector.  If you just read the sector profiles, you’d think everything is allowed, but I don’t think that’s what they are saying.

In Spokane, our local FBO quoted the same paragraph and said they are fully open for business.  The local flight school used the essential functions listing to determine that they are not allowed to operate.  Unfortunately, I think the flight school is correct.

So I will likely fly my airplane this week, and I will never be within 50’ of another person, but I’m not convinced I’m supposed to.

I commend your desire to follow the rules, but considering the other forms of recreation that are allowed, going for a recreational flight by yourself in your Mooney is probably one of the safest.  There is a huge difference between renting an airplane for profit and flying your own airplane for fun.  If you owned a Corvette, you'd still be allowed to drive it.

• Like 4

Oh yeah, I totally agree.  As I said, I’ll fly this week.  I’ll definitely be more socially distanced than at the supermarket.  I think using some common sense is good right now, but there’s a lot of people out there born without it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

In Spokane, our local FBO quoted the same paragraph and said they are fully open for business.  The local flight school used the essential functions listing to determine that they are not allowed to operate.  Unfortunately, I think the flight school is correct.

So I will likely fly my airplane this week, and I will never be within 50’ of another person, but I’m not convinced I’m supposed to.

Until the FAA waives Class 2 medicals and flight reviews, I expect flight schools are considered critical infrastructure.  On the other hand, as a flight instructor, I choose my clients very carefully at this time.  The only places with less social distancing are strip clubs and whore houses.

I also find the whole social distancing thing very bizarre.  Here in Texas, the liquor stores are closed on Sunday so the religious folks are not offended, but open the rest of the week as a critical enterprise.  And for some reason the golf course near my house is doing a booming business, but the automated car wash is shut down due to social distancing orders.  Strange times

5 hours ago, madreg98 said:

need to get from the Jacksonville area to KCAK with my instructor the first or second week of April.  Will be purchasing a nice M20j and hopefully flying it back to KSGJ.  Anyone interested in ferrying two people who will "share the fuel" cost please let me know.  Wife won't let me fly commercial and it would be a long rented car ride.

How much do the two of you weigh?

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisk said:

Until the FAA waives Class 2 medicals and flight reviews, I expect flight schools are considered critical infrastructure.  On the other hand, as a flight instructor, I choose my clients very carefully at this time.  The only places with less social distancing are strip clubs and whore houses.

I also find the whole social distancing thing very bizarre.  Here in Texas, the liquor stores are closed on Sunday so the religious folks are not offended, but open the rest of the week as a critical enterprise.  And for some reason the golf course near my house is doing a booming business, but the automated car wash is shut down due to social distancing orders.  Strange times

I saw an AOPA article that said the faa had agreed not to pursue enforcement of expiring medicals from now through june 30th.  That’s the only way they could waive them quickly.  All classes.  My class 2 expires next month, so I guess that’s good, although I probably need to check and see what the insurance company thinks for my work airplane.  They probably want an unexpired medical which is not what I’ll have.  Supposedly this works for airline pilots all the way down to class 3.

they did not address flight reviews yet, but aopa asked them to.

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

So the Washington order contains the exact same paragraph.  It’s from a list of federal critical infrastructure definitions.  However, what you posted is the “sector profile” for Transportation and Logistics.  It just defines the entire transportation sector.  Washingtons order contains these Definitions for all sectors of the economy, infrastructure, etc.  it’s about 6 pages.  Then it defines “essential functions” which are subsets of each sector.  If you just read the sector profiles, you’d think everything is allowed, but I don’t think that’s what they are saying.

I flew to Colorado and back yesterday because I was tired of being cooped up but also because I wanted to pick up a rifle I had built. There was a lot fewer planes in the sky but nobody asked why or cared that I was flying. The FBO in Montrose was happy I was there and had 4 line guys help me park my plane. Usually they move it for the Jets but it was right in from when I was ready to leave. I can tell you that even though there is less traffic the controllers are just as busy if not more. Each controller is covering more frequency than they normally do. I'm going flying again tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

My local airport just sent the following

Dear Airport Users,

Effective immediately….

If any air travelers arrive from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, or the City of New Orleans, and plan to stay in Texas, please have them report directly to the Airport Offices in the Terminal building to complete a mandatory self-quarantine form per Governor Abbott. 

Thanks everyone and stay well!

Sincerely,

Debbie

I would not use my airplane if it meant contact with other people. It's in my own hangar, there is self-serve fuel, and therefore the only human contact is over the radio. If I needed a CFI, DPE, AME, etc. I'd wait and not fly until after this is over.

• Like 1

On Saturday I filed IFR for a quick flight. I'm on the ramp, engine on, punching the latest buttons and I get a call on my cell. I thought, what the..? For whatever reason I answered it. The FBO from my departing and home airport telling me that my destination FBO called and they needed to urgently talk with me. I called them back..."Sir, effective last night, if you fly over here and leave the airplane to go anywhere in town, you will be placed on quarantine for 14 days. No exceptions". They also told me they were advising all inbound traffic on the radio if the pilot could not be caught on the phone. Destination airport 1A5 (Macon County, NC). I scratched the flight...I will fly next week end but just to maintain proficiency and have fun. I do not want to get stuck anywhere for 14 days. BTW, I called 1A5 the day before just to make sure but ordinances are being issued so fast...

• Sad 1

When the idea of MOVING AROUND THE COUNTRY IN MOONEYS gets some traction, perhaps we could implement something like the Pilots 'n Paws (PnP) web site (pilotsnpaws.org) that shows where rescue animals come from / go to. It is really useful to see a map with vectors showing start / stop points. Click on a vector and the details show up. Then pilots can negotiate in a message board format how to manage the flight. Those of you involved with PnP know what I'm talking about. Just an idea for a future incarnation of the idea to help move Mooneys around the USA.  I think it is a great idea and might find a lot of participants... although too many vectors pointing toward the vicinity of Kerrville TX might be a problem... 

PilotsnPaws mission map.pdf

Edited by Moonbat
Include a pdf file showing the feature I was talking about.

I, for one, would be thrilled to ferry one of these.  I am in Arizona and my E is down for annual...and the shop's closed.  I've got a ton of airline frequent flier miles I'd be happy to use for the commercial flight segments (which I'm not worried about).  And our newly-opened restaurant is now closed, except for Thursday cooking and Friday pick-up.  I'm current on medical and BFR, so feel free to let me know if I can help.  I miss the air...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonbat said:

When the idea of MOVING AROUND THE COUNTRY IN MOONEYS gets some traction, perhaps we could implement something like the Pilots 'n Paws (PnP) web site (pilotsnpaws.org) that shows where rescue animals come from / go to. It is really useful to see a map with vectors showing start / stop points. Click on a vector and the details show up. Then pilots can negotiate in a message board format how to manage the flight. Those of you involved with PnP know what I'm talking about. Just an idea for a future incarnation of the idea to help move Mooneys around the USA.  I think it is a great idea and might find a lot of participants... although too many vectors pointing toward the vicinity of Kerrville TX might be a problem... 

PilotsnPaws mission map.pdf 182.62 kB · 0 downloads

It could be called PilotsnPlanes

On 3/29/2020 at 7:48 PM, chrisk said:

And little known fact in Texas.   NO Alkeehal sales while the polls are open on Election day.   Not sure how that works with early voting but those are the laws.